All reviews marimba music folk dancing historic hotel santa catalina nice room very nice hotel double bed street noise lake atitlan perfect location beautiful courtyard central park rooftop terrace painters guatemala arch flowers
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This lovely hotel is perfectly located on the most beautiful street in colonial Antigua, just steps away from the famous bridge that crosses that streets and frames views of the surrounding churches and volcanoes. Everything about my stay at the hotel was perfect, including the food and service at the excellent restaurant located on its first floor. Location alone would be enough to recommend the hotel, but it earns its five stars by the beauty of the interior courtyards, the spacious rooms, the comfortable beds and bathrooms, and the extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Highest possible recommendation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Rick049
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Spent our 33 wedding anniversary there (Feb 23rd). we have been there before. They have one of the best, if not the best service in the country of Guatemala. the rooms go from very old construction to very modern yet they all portray the architecture that makes Antigua such a charming place. Breakfast was a delight with the view of the Volcan de Agua (the Watter Volcano) so close you feel you can touch it, and food quality to mach. A big Plus is their Coffey, the best in the world.

A magnificent experience that i recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: the new construction is warmer than the old ones, but they all have real wood burning fireplace. any room is nice
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Happytraveler55-gua
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I were very please with Posada de Don Rodrigo. We arrived in Antigua at 1am and the check in was quick and the brought us to our room on the 1st floor. We didn't like the room, it was not what we had requested, but considering the time of the night and how tired we were we took the room for the night. In the morning we were told to just pack our things and go on with our scheduled activities and they would take care of everything. When we came back, we were directed to our new room that was spectacular!!! They also provided some delicious mini muffins!!
The posada's breakfast, included in our rate, was very nice since it was a la carte and we were able to choose from a large menu.
You can spend a long time getting lost around all the gardens, galleries and the terrace, I believe, has the best view in Antigua. Take time to explore and enjoy all the details, decorations and vegetation!
We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and left to go to Atitlan for 2 days. Unfortunately, they didn't have space for us to stay at their place in Panajachel or spend the last 2 night we had in Antigua.
When we came back to Antigua from Panajachel, I realized I have left a pair of sandals at Posada de Don Rodrigo. I called them, they took my request and the following day they called the hotel I was staying saying that my sandals were there!!! I couldn't believe it!!!
For that reason and all the wonderful interactions we had with the hotel employees, I just love the place. It has one of the best services I've encountered!
I would definitely go back to Posada de Don Rodrigo on my next time in Antigua!

Room Tip: We were in La Posada del Amor Eterno on the ground floor near the restaurant. It was a huge beautiful room with a king size bed, fireplace and sitting area. A nice window opened to one of the gardens and we woke up every morning to the sound of the water running in a fountain. The bathroom was also big. My only concern was that the bathtub was a little slippery. In the afternoon we have the marimba players performing just off of our room. That didn't bother us, but it's something to consider.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Staff is wonderful and very helpful. Try for a room on the inner court yard away from the street. We slept well and kept our windows an door open to view the cross not the hill at sunrise!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was lucky enough to spend New Years Eve in Antigua and staying at Posada Don Rodrigo made it even more special.
The location of this hotel is perfect. Most of the activities were right on this street or at the park and it was very convenient for enjoying the evening.
Watching the fireworks from the terrace at midnight with the marimba music playing in the background is something I won't soon forget.
The hotel was a bit loud that night but I had expected that since I knew we would be hearing lots of fireworks.
Antonia from reception was such a help with all of my e-mails and questions.
The hotel also brought a little good luck owl on New Years Eve day which was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a window room facing the street if you are there to watch processions or to experience NYE.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple