“This place is like an oil painting in a museum, with so many details to linger over.”

Palacio de Dona Leonor
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just gorgeous. The grounds were wonderful, the staff, beyond helpful and the rooms were lovely. We had an amazing room with a balcony overlooking the street and I enjoyed sitting out there with our baby to look around.
The main thing that made this place so excellent was the staff who went out of their way to help us and accommodate me. I had broken my foot severely the day before we arrived and was on crutches. The staff got ice for me, helped me up and down the stairs, offered to move rooms, the list goes on. They were incredibly nice and gracious. I've never had an experience where caring for myself was nearly impossible, but anyone who may have any special needs or more help for whatever reason, you will no problems here. The staff was incredible.

The only problem with this place? We didn't stay longer! I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I would love to be able to give this hotel 5 stars as I agree with so many of the other reviews here about it's great location, elegance, peaceful courtyard, outstanding restaurant and generally excellent service.

However, the devil is in the details -- and in the follow up after leaving. To the latter point: I find it unacceptable under any circumstances, especially when a hotel is as well recognized as the Dona Leonar, when the management refuses to respond to inquiries after the stay about expenses charged without explanation. In my case, they added a charge to my shuttle to the airport without telling me ahead of time or at the time I gave permission to add it to my bill. They had responded very quickly before I arrived to various questions I had via email, but they have not responded to me about this and other charges almost a week after my departure.

Similarly, I did not get an explanation of charges on my breakfast. I reserved a room with breakfast included. But the only thing they did not charge me for was juice and coffee. Anything I ordered off the menu was billed to me. When I have stayed at other hotels in Antigua, breakfast included juice, breakfast, AND an entree off the menu. At no time upon my arrival or at breakfast was this explained to me.

Devilish details.My room did not have air conditioning -- it was so warm in the room on my first night I could not get to sleep. The shower has very weak water pressure -- and the hot water goes on and off. There are iron door stops on the antique room front doors. Occasionally they slip into the holes in the ground and you get locked out -- this happened to me twice. I paid more for my shuttle than I had at other hotels in Antigua, and I did not get a van as was the case with those places. Rather, I got a beat up old taxi. And the hotel had not communicated to the driver that I had paid for the trip on my account at the hotel.

It is a shame that a hotel which is so attractive, comfortable, and well appointed in almost all regards would have these short comings and failure of management accountability. I could see the Dona Leonor easily being a slam-dunk five star hotel. But it needs to work out some kinks and become better in its communication with its clients.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ericsf7
Paris, France
Reviewed 4 March 2012

For the ones who would look for a historic house with a true though discreet elegance, this is THE place. From the beautiful courtyard to the 12 rooms -all different and named after historical caracters- no detail has been neglected by the excellent interior designer who restored the Palacio. Right in the middle of the historic centre. Very good food, very welcoming staff, charming musical ambiance. A true relais et Château or Leading Small Hotel at a very affordable price for its quality. A very good value for the selective traveller.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel shouldn't even be allowed to be called a hotel. hotel sounds too plain for what this place is. It is truly a palacio. The rooms are magic. The garden is eden. And its all affordable. I can't even tell you how great it felt to fall asleep under a dimly lit chandelier, staring up at the incredible ceiling. All of the ceilings, each different in every room, are marvelous. I am not someone who normally appreciates things like that, and this was incredible. Every detail of the design makes you feel like you're in a palace. I never wanted to leave. The restaurant is sunny and delicious. The bar is welcoming and cozy. The staff couldn't be more kind.
I tend to sleep in when I'm on vacation, but I made it a point to wake up early while staying at Palacio de Leonor. I would take my book and recline just outside my room on an elegant, sofa and read for an hour or two. A member of the lovely staff would bring me my morning coffee on a silver platter with silver sugar and milk.
The bathrooms have deep, relaxing tubs and crystal chandeliers to light the domed ceilings. I wish I could have stayed here longer. It is a beautiful, Spanish colonial heaven in the antique city of Antigua.

I didn't even mention the location. You can see the central plaza, less than a block from the front entrance. The famous arch of Antigua is just 3 blocks away. Everything you'd want to see in the city is walking distance. I had a wedding to go to, and at more than 7 blocks away, we walked. Even on the cobble stone streets and high heels, it was fine. Perfect location. I am a picky traveller, but I am not snobby about it.

I wouldn't miss this place. It's absolutely incredible. The owners and the staff are wonderful.
Don't miss the various rare orchids that the owner and gardener collect from around the world. Don't miss this place, its one of the best.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fabulous. They are all decorated beautifully. There's not one that's be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Every room at the Leonor is a jewel. All are done in antiques and art, with different paint jobs and design. I like all of them. The best thing about the hotel is the breakfasts. Everything is delicious with elegant service, seating inside and also out in the patio, emellished with little edible flowers. Great coffee. Beautiful hot tub, but alas it was not working.

Room Tip: In May it can be warm. As for a fan, or bring one.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The property is stunning - as well as convenient to excellent restaurants - the staff was extremely helpful and the gardener is a treasure. Yes, the gardener who takes extreme pride in his orchids and tropical plants - it was an honor to meet such a talented person. The property has sister hotels in Guatemala and will discount if staying at another of their properties.

Room Tip: all rooms were beautiful - the rooms facing the road were quite.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2Cycle
london
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Without doubt the rooms are exceptionally well decorated, and the quality of interior design was superb. However, great decor isn't enough to have a great hotel.

We stayed for four nights, in two of the master suites (Dona Leonor and Don Pedro), and we loved our rooms. However, the service was patchy at best, and there is much that could be done to improve the client experience.

What was missing -
- a do not disturb sign
- a mini bar
- some way of making coffee or tea in the room
- a bar that was open past nine pm if no mini bar in the room
- some assistance in explaining the hotel amenities (there was nothing in the room, and we found the pool by accident)
- proper wifi - it was very sporadic and weak, and for $300 they could easily by a router booster

and what was inconsistent/poor service
- we had turn down two nights out of four, no idea why? we were out every night for dinner
- the maids sometimes replenished the supplies, and sometimes not, so we had no shampoo one day
- our bathroom was not properly cleaned when we arrived (there were several blonde hairs in the bath)
- the fixed showerhead did not work, as had not been maintained, and therefore you had to rely on holding the loose showerhead

We decided not to eat in the restaurant as there was rarely many customers, and the prices felt high relative to what was on offer a few steps out of the front door.

Also the rooms are not all great. many of the rooms have their only window into the internal courtyard, which passersby can look into. The Dona Leonor suite has two windows into a neighbouring wall, and a set of glass doors out on to the managers accommodation patio (with the kitty litter). The rooms to the front of the building are best, as most have small juliet balconies.

All in all a lovely building, beautifully decorated, but i left with the impression that the hotel was run by an interior decorator not a hotelier. This could be a wonderful hotel, but the service needs to be an order of magnitude better (particularly given the price tag of $350+ per night)

Room Tip: Request a room to the front of the building. if a suite, would recommend don pedro
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family