“Our Summer Holidays”
Review of Tej Marhaba Hotel

Tej Marhaba Hotel
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Sousse
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Our visit to the Tej was a bit disappointing this time considering we have been coming to the TEJ since 2000.
A few points need to be rectified and I list them in Priority.
1 The Outside Pool Attendant needs to be taught how to handle his guests as we found him to be very arrogant and any request seemed to much trouble except for his pals.
He was spotted on more than one occasion spitting on the grass and someone told me about his his swearing in ARABIC which to me is uncalled for.
2. The Catering staff do a satisfactory job but now that the new Head Chef is in the seat we could see an improvement to the Menu in days as the Dishes were tasty and at last Labelled in 3 Languages which is great.
Plates and condiment sets are a problem as 2 times at Lunch they ran out of Plates due to either not enough stock or as I could see Waiters not clearing away the Stations quick enough as this was the main problem and looked Untidy, we had to ask on many occasion for condiments as not on every table as should be.
Oasis Room
Needs a shake up as staff not interested and very grubby No tables with cloths on to sit at as being used at Functions
Catering staff not wearing Disposable HAND Gloves as per HACCP Policy so UNHYGIENIC .
The Indoor Pool had a sign Closed due to Maintenance but actually saw on more than one occasion Classes of children being taught swimming lessons, Why do they not just say closed due to Classes being held .
The Animation Team are to be congratulated as they certainly worked very hard but still need a better variety as on some nights its the same Music and Entertainment , the so called Guitar man needs to sort his music as to much Base so cannot here the correct Tunes.
The Housekeeping do a Good job as the rooms were very well cleaned and bedding changed frequently.
The Public Relations Lady has to be thanked as as always makes us welcome.
We will visit again and hopefully our points will be Rectified .

Room Tip: Rooms Looking over Main Entrance are better than rear as Bigger and fairly quiet
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write your review We have taken your comments and observations to heart and we will try to do better in the future. We are constantly upgrading and improving our standards to meet the requirements of our esteemed guests and therefore we do appreciate your constructive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back, yet again, in the not too distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,614)

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Pros:
- Hotel is nice and clean
- Grounds and communal areas/receptions/restaurants are well kept and clean
- Food is nice but as expected from an all inclusive hotel - good but not that much difference
- Service in restaurants is good and good customer service from staff but the waiting times were quite long!
- Excursions were good, quad biking and boat trips organised in house as cheaper than going through the travel agents
- Hotel rooms are spacious and comfortable

Cons:
- Entertainment isn't very good, and wasn't every night - 1 night (1 week trip) was a "Tunisia themed night" and the other nights (when there was entertainment organised!) was either bingo or Russians doing karaoke!
- Location - the location of the beach isn't ideal especially for those with mobility issues or younger children. There is a road you need to cross and drivers RARELY stop to let you cross!!!
- Going out in public isn't very good - we were two young females and took a walk to the market about 15-20 minutes away, and felt like "meat" by local males although we weren't dressed provocatively!!
- Spa recommended by staff a short walk from the hotel wasn't very good, requested exfoliation but she wouldn't understand that I had sunburn in certain areas that she should either keep away from or not be as rough - ended up very sore!
-Wifi not very good if you wanted to send a "I'm still alive" message to family. Had to stand by the pool with the rest of the people that wanted to use the Wi-Fi or in the main reception area!

Room Tip: Sea view is nice but make sure you don't end up looking out at the domes!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2017

So glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. We now have animation every night and no bingo. We are also in the process of improving our internet service. Your comments have all been noted and we will act upon them to the best of our abilities. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to receiving you as our guest in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

The hotel was chock a block full of its regular expats from Germany; UK; Eastern Europe. Why do well heeled tourists continue to come to the Tej? Excellent value for service; kind caring staff; and to catch up with old friends and make new ones

The food was excellent quality, the pools remained spectacular; security was visible but not in your face.

There has been a major shift in clientele from regular Europeans to Russians, Algerians and Libyans.The newcomers tend to be a bit more boisterous but tend to bring a touch of the North African exotic. The Russians? They appeared to be very different from the Russians of 10 years ago You would be hard pressed to identify them by dress anymore as they were North American stylish. As a group of people they were decidedly warm and friendly.

The rooms were well appointed and everything worked.

Every country has its differences. In Canada you would rarely hear hotel staff such as cleaners even speak. In Tunisia they tend to scream / shout at each other. Then the rooms are pretty much soundproof so if you were not sat in the elevator sitting area to access stronger WiFi? You would not know they were there.

The massive lobby tends to be be noisy because it is all marble or stone which seems to amplify and bounce around sound.

The A/C does not start up until summer but a large fan at the local supermarket costs only $20 Canadian. Good investment!!!

Room Tip: Rooms over the entry tend to be cooler and larger while those facing the sea smaller and hotter.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Leonard C
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your interesting review and most of all thank you for your continued visits to our hotel. We really do appreciate our repeat guests, of which we have many. We consider them our friends, our loyal friends, for whom we are always available. We look forward to your next visit, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Also this hotel is famous for one thing. Starting from September this place changes from a friendly full of families and friends hotel to one full of perverts (old men in first place and old women) ,and this based on my own experience, they are just disgusting people (more likely animals) , the atmosphere chances after the 3 summer months. Completely and the hotel gets in a way dead and boring. If you're planing to go in June,July or August then you will have a good time. The food is ok not really big buffet or something special, staff not special just normal friendly and of course the rooms, well for the rooms this hotel deserves 7/10 (my own opinion).

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2017

I am both horrified and amazed that you could refer to elderly people as 'animals'. We have many repeat guests, that we respect greatly, that return to our hotel several times during the year, so it is possible that you will find the same guests in residence both during the summer months and the winter months. Obviously the hotel is a lot quiter in the winter now, due to the travel ban imposed on Tunisia by the UK. so as you can appreciate, the guests who do make the effort to travel are very warmly welcomed indeed, as indeed are all our guests, no matter what age or nationality. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Our holidays for 3 days me and my friends was just incredible .
Amazing hotel with great staff , also room service is very good. just the food wasn't as expected but it can be passed seeing the price by night

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank NOur J

So glad you enjoyed your holiday with us and found our staff amazing! Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for maybe more than 3 days!

Reviewed 25 December 2016

I always scan through the negative reviews and wonder where some of these people have actually stayed in a hotel before and what they could possibly have paid.

While many of the regulars are wealthy seniors, and could afford to stay pretty much anywhere, they invariably chose the Tej. The staff are not Abercrombie and Fitch models, just middle aged regular people with 20 plus years in the hospitality industry. The entertainment staff have been cut back so the cougars seem to shorten their stay without captive potential prey.

I was there just under three weeks. Lots of conventions on and more Algerians than usual. The guests were as warm and friendly as the staff.

Let's start with the food. For breakfast there is usually boiled eggs, roasted tomatoes, and a half dozen hot dishes. Several cereal selections, various types of breads, cold milk, hot milk, natural yogurt, coffee, teas, sweet yogurt, tangerines, oranges, dates. There is an egg cook who will make you whatever egg dish / omelet you can dream up. There is a crepe cook who will make you whatever crepe dish you can dream up.

I was in Dresden a few weeks ago and stayed at a five star hotel. Breakfast was most certainly sumptuous and I took care in sizing it up. Other than gravlax; pork products; more fruit selection, and oatmeal? I honestly could not see a while lot more of anything that was not rolled out at the Tej. The real difference? The cost of breakfast? It was roughly the same as a night at the Tej at half board without a selection of swimming pools thrown in:))

Breakfast service starts at 6:00 a.m. And runs until ten. The only downside? Senior managers are not in attendance for morning breakfast so the brawl in the kitchen sounds like a Spanish cock fight. I sort of get irritated with the reserved seating along the window because I liked it for Wi-Fi access it provided, but now WiFi has expanded and is pretty much free and accessible in any part of the hotel so that is of no relevance.

I always skipped lunch.

Dinner / supper was always a delight. There were always fish, shell fish, chicken and/or or turkey poultry, beef and/or lamb. I don't recall ever seeing pork served. I happen to like pork, but c'est la vie. There were always a half dozen types of cooked vegetables, fried vegetables and a large salad bar. Each night there were different dishes. There was generally two types of soup, fresh made to order pizza and grilled something or other most nights. Like what more could be expected at a hotel buffet?

The rooms? The rooms are larger than conventional hotel rooms. The tubs were deep. The water hot. The supplies endless. The towels numerous. Anything you wanted? You simply asked for and moments later it appeared. I checked the newly opened Sousse Palace. It looks lovely, but the rooms are smaller.
There are chamber maids and maintenance staff were visible 18 hours a day.

The massive outdoor pool was a bit too cold for me. I could swim in it certainly, but I thought why be uncomfortable. I went inside to the significant other pools which were just a tad too warm for me. But hey? There were only a half dozen people in the hotel who appeared to be using the pool complex during my stay. Many people were sunbathing constantly. I sort of found that odd. While it was certainly warm, December is not suntan weather at this latitude. My only pool suggestion? Extend the indoor pool hours until 10:00 p.m. and light it.

The front desk staff are patient to a fault, the porters attentive to a fault, the dining room and bar staffs excellent. There was not one staff member in this entire resort complex who was not polite and courteous to me. The maids? Well, anything I wanted done was done quickly. Actually, I found them a bit too attentive, perhaps because I tip heavily so I often hung a “Do Not Disturb” sign on my door.

I like a cool sleeping temperature and found myself sleeping 9 hours a day which was GREAT

Room Tip: Rooms over the entry are very large. Rooms facing the pools and ocean are less large
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Leonard C
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2017

Many thanks, yet again, for a truly wonderful and informative review. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met up to your expectations. We now look forward to your next visit and hope it will be just as memorable.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

I stayed here 10 years ago so was intrigued to see how it was now.
The hotel is kept very clean from the lobby through to the rooms. The buffet food was slightly limited but had good variety considering the amount of people staying at this time I wouldn't expect there to be as much food put on as if they were full to capacity. The hotel rooms and hallways are looking a bit tired but based on current economic climate I would not expect the money to be spent on this and was pleased with the level of cleanliness.
The staff at reception were fantastic, friendly and helpful. The waiters were really good, friendly and helpful. Always smiling. The cleaning staff were smiling and friendly. The bar staff were good except one unfortunately which made getting served at the bar an uncomfortable experience at times.
I would stay here again. I mostly just used it as a base and did not spend a great deal of time there. Though there are good facilities available here. Wifi only available in lobby and was not always a good connection.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
TEJMARHABA, Guest Relations Manager at Tej Marhaba Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do hope you will not wait for another ten years before visiting us again!