“Bizarre dining experience - we had a lot of fun”
Review of LalQila

LalQila
Ranked #15 of 411 Restaurants in Karachi
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2017

After an evening of traditional Pakistani theatre my local colleagues took me to "The Castle" for a late night, BBQ supper. Around 10 on a Friday evening all roads around this place seemed to be grid locked. We eventually drove around the back, valet parked at a neighbouring restaurant and then walked to LalQila. We had reserved in advance but, nonetheless waited a few minutes whilst a huge wedding party guided the bride into this larger than life castle.

We were eventually guided to our table in one of the side, air conditioned rooms. Then we proceeded to gather our food from the extensive buffet area spread over quite a large part of this establishment. There were many "counters" offering BBQ meat - almost everything that you can think of - lamb, kebabs, chicken, tiny quail, small fish and many other delicacies which I had difficulty in remembering. Most popular were the deep fried prawns at which counter it was clear that polite English style queuing was going to get me nowhere. One of my female colleagues grabbed my plate out of my hands, pushed herself through the masses and filled it up with the hot, delicious prawns for me. There seemed to be a huge range of other culinary delights to try - Pakistani style curries, vegetable/meat concoctions and soups and international including pizzas, noodles, salads etc. After a couple of heaped plate fulls I couldn't eat any more.

Later in the evening a gentleman is traditional attire came into our room and entertained us with some local poetic renditions which had my friends and other diners in hysterics. I was attired/camouflaged in newly bought kurta but my European face and appearance still gave me away so was the recipient of some English gems of wisdom in poetic form... This was soon followed by a small gang of "knights" who piled into the room with a cake and a fierce looking sword. After a lot of aggressive shouting (war crying?) I was requested to use the sword to cut the cake. It was a delicious, light, fluffy sponge.

This is a large and busy unique dining experience - great to come with a group of friends and colleagues and particularly for families - close to midnight when the place was closing down I spotted many young children spilling out of the place with their extended family groups. But don't expect a subtle, romantic evening dinner environment.

All in all this was a really fun place to conclude an excellent few days with the local colleagues here.

Reviewed August 9, 2017

Food is average, you can get variety of options in buffet so you have the choice to eat what ever you like. A bit noisy , location is fine but you may have to park your car at a distance on road side parking.

Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

I came here with my cousin and wife after meeting her for the first time in over 20 years. She took us to LalQila restaurant serving a buffet of Pakistani, Asian, Middle eastern food and desserts.

The restaurant mimics through gimmick of the red fort in Lahore. Outside, a guard stands to greet everyone while inside, waiters dressed as castle servants help guide you through what they have on the buffet.

Quail eggs, Quail, Chicken Chow Mein are but a handful of choices. I decided to pick from the BBQ menu with vegetables, hummus and saudi sauces.

Following a lovely meal, we watched people celebrating their birthdays be sung to by the Knights inside and the 'servants'. Though not lasting long, it is a spectacle, done with style eclipsing that of any standard happy birthday well wishers elsewhere.

We finished the night with a lovely cappuccino and some Kulfi which I decided to partner with jelly.

Overall, it is a great place for all ages, children especially will love it. I hear LalQila opens earlier for Ramadan and again holds prayer before breaking fast in the evening.

A wonderful establishment for locals, first timers and tourists.

Reviewed July 24, 2017 via mobile

A few months ago we were invited to LalQila for dinner. The restaurant has a reputation of having a good money- worth buffet with a huge variety of cuisines.
You can start with soup, follow with, lots of Barbeque chicken and beef, fish and prawn fried, roasted chicken, Haleem, paya,nihari, Kunna, different chicken and mutton curries, Chinese cuisine, rice, bread and a variety of dessert.
After a sumptuous dinner at the exit there is paan- made according to your choice.
It's a good restaurant to go to if you are a connoisseur of food.

Reviewed May 25, 2017

As the title suggests, nothing great, None of the dishes stand out. Over crowded & noisy. If you like to hog down food without consideration for your stomach &/ot not too fussy about taste, then give it shot

1  Thank Syed S