Review Highlights
Great way to try new Laos foods

Reviewed July 13, 2018

from US$38.00
More Info
from US$39.00
More Info
All reviews two chefs cooking course multiple dishes sticky rice local market morning market tuk tuk cookbook ingredients sy skills lee
Reviewed August 21, 2018

Having never tried Laos food before I came to the class with an open mind. It was just my mom and I (low season) so we had one teacher. We opted for the day class which I would highly recommend. The class starts with a trip to the market where you see all the kinds of food Lao people buy and eat. This was very interesting as I didn't know Lao people ate buffalo for example and all parts of the animal was being sold at the market.

Then we made two dishes to start. The cooking process is quick and easy to learn. I would recommend not eating too much for breakfast as the day was full of food! After the two starting dishes, our chef showed 5 more dishes and we chose 3 to make. The food was absolutely delicious, it was hard to choose only 3!

We were so full by the end of the day we didn't need to eat dinner that evening! Otherwise they do allow you to take home the food you haven't finished.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

We opted for the day class starting with a visit to a local market by tuk tuk. The two chefs show you how to make the dishes (7), you get to try them and then choose which ones you want to make. Lunch is two dishes and then later in the afternoon you can eat the other three or take them away with you. Take home recipes are also provided.

Reviewed July 13, 2018 via mobile

Brought my school trip group here for the day time cooking class. The cooking was great and the two chefs were engaging, funny and good teachers. Some really tasty foods here and were given an excellent cook book to take home. It was good to come once but wouldn’t go a second time. A little too much down time during the day, especially with school group to keep entertained!

Reviewed May 15, 2018 via mobile

We opted for the morning session so it started with a trip to the market. Trip was highly educational, we learned a lot about the different herbs, the different types of rice, etc. The cooking session covers 7 types of dishes. We eat 2 for lunch, and for the rest, packed them back for dinner. Enjoyed the experience thoroughly

Reviewed April 19, 2018 via mobile

Two of us only so we could customise what we wanted and make everything vegetarian. I would have liked more step by step instruction but the nature of Laos food is that a lot of it is prepared very quickly! Enjoyed the experience, cost was 250,000 Kip per person.

Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

Our first Choice for a Cooking School eas fully booked so we instead booked with Tamnak Lao. It was just a small group. There were only 5 of us.

We were first brought to Phou Sy Market. We were introduced to the different ingredients used in Lao Cooking. Then back to the Cooking School to start Cooking.

We were shown 2 dishes. And we did this on our own for lunch. The 5 dishes plus Jeowbong was shown. We had to choose 3 to cook. We first tasted the 5 dishes shown then chose 3 from those.

There was so much food that the last 3 ended up as our dinner.

I was surprised at the very low ratings Tamnak Lao got. There were a lot of 1 Stars and personally they do not deserve such a low rating. Some had complained that they were left on their own. Well in cooking i personally prefer doing things on my oen so i did not see this as a problem as the recipe book was clear enough to understand.

It was overall a nice experience. Not to be missed. Fee was USD30 or 250000Kip.

Reviewed February 20, 2018 via mobile

Don’t understand the low ratings of this place. Tamnak Lao cooking school deserves a much better rating. My partner and I signed up for the cooking course here as our first choice was fully booked into March. However, we were very impressed by the slick operation run by the two chefs who have been cooking for the past 10 years.
If you’re looking for an entertainment chef programme, then this isn’t for you. However, if you are looking for honest Laotian cooking which actually tastes like what you get in the restaurants here without a load of additives or MSG, then Leng Lee and Phia Yang are the most earnest and professional teachers.
They do not say much outside of the cooking steps but all this is compensated in a very thoughtfully written guide book that you will receive as part of the package. Lao history, practices, food knowledge, it is all beautifully written in. My partner and I enjoyed reading through the book after we had finished the course.
The food was enjoyable and very tasty. Everything is just meticulously catered for, even the doggybag boxes and spoons for you to take your tea home!
Thank you Phia and Leng for having us and we hope many more will benefit from your skills!

Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

All the other cooking schools where booked so I went here knowing for the previous reviews it wouldn’t be great. And it live up to that expectations.

The chef was more focused on cleaning after his demonstrations rather than helping us food the individual meals. He made me feel like I was bothering him when I asked for help with the dish.

He could of created a better atmosphere by having everyone introduce themselves and perhaps playing some soft music while we cooked.

As someone previously said, he has loss passion for this job. I’ve been to many cooking classes and have experienced others chef’s passion for cooking, which really makes the course amazing.

Reviewed February 4, 2018

Not sure why this place is rated so low. The food was actually good, they show you how to cook it and then you make the entire dish from scratch. You make multiple dishes in a small class and a get a cookbook with recipes and information about some of the ingredients in case you need to find local replacements. Looked at some of other classes and was happy I chose this one

Reviewed October 12, 2017

I have to say I'm a little baffled by all of the negative reviews on here. I opted to give it a try anyway because it was my last full day in Luang Prabang and the more highly recommended cooking schools were already booked. I'm glad I did! It starts at 1000 which is slightly later than some of the other programs and that worked well for me. We do a market tour in a market off the peninsula but they provide transportation there. Phia traveled around the market with us pointing out all of the ingredients and "fun" items like frogs and dried rats that we don't always get in Western shops. He was very attentive and helpful. Lheng ran around collecting the items we needed for the class. I think it might have been helpful for us to have a list of the items that we would we be using while we were in the market but not a deal breaker. Then we returned to the school and had some tea or coffee as they got organized. It was only three of us so it felt like a private class. They have two dishes that you cook for your lunch and once you've prepared them, you eat and can purchase beer and sodas. After lunch, you see five other dishes and can choose three more to prepare. Because our class was so small, we opted for bringing these three dishes with us instead of sitting longer so class was able to wrap up early and we were released at 1430 with our cookbooks and three meals plus sticky rice with us. I definitely recommend trying this!