All reviews beautiful hotel royal residence night market junior suite tuk tuk poolside bar separate toilet old colonial homemade jams in town lao dishes lush gardens boutique hotel an oasis four poster bed general manager pool side
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We were surprised at how close we were to just about everything. Location was perfect, so central -- night market, fresh market, currency exchange, good restaurants, temples, the river....

I enjoyed the quietness of the hotel with the lush gardens. Having a library with all sorts of magazines and books was a marvel idea. The rooms were fairly large. Not everyone in the staff was proficient in English though, but they were very polite and trying their best. I must make special mention of a young gentleman named Domingo, who went out of his way to address all our group's needs and concerns.

I enjoyed our overall stay at Satri House and would recommend it to others.

I would have liked in-room coffee/tea service.

Because of the ponds in the premises I noticed mosquitoes but fortunately, I was never bitten.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank milfloresdemanila
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Beautiful and exquisitely appointed property. Large and warmly decorated rooms. Well manicured grounds. However, the service provided just isn't what I have come to know as the standard for a Relais & Chateaux. The staff are lovely but they do not speak English for the most part (yes, I know I am in Lao) and it makes it very difficult to score points for service when simple requests are not understood -- at all. The manager and the restaurant supervisor are working to address a recognized gap and were very helpful in doing the extra to make our experience pleasant (much appreciated) but the staffing issues do need to be addressed to meet the expectations for a Relais & Chateaux and the price that goes along with that.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank luv2travelthree
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed in satri house for 8 nights end of feb 2012. The hotel and grounds are absolutely immaculate and our room which was a junior suite was huge with a seperate toilet and bathroom and huge shower down 3 other steps that was almost another room. We had a twin room as requested and the twin beds do not have mosquito nets so I voiced my concerns to manager and he immediately offered to upgrade us to the satri house suite when it became available the next day. He said that he would make the housekeeping staff aware that they needed to spray our room thoroughly on the first night so that we didnt get bitten and sure enough there was not a single mosquito still alive when we went to bed. We liked our room so much that we stayed in that one rather than move and the room was sprayed every night so in the whole holiday I didnt get a single bite.
The pool areas and gardens were beautiful and were swept and cleaned several times a day. The restaurant was lovely and we had huge fresh breakfasts every morning.
Our room was made impecibly every day and fresh water bottles and sweet treats were placed beside our bed every night. The staff were hard working and very polite and gracious. They went out of their way to be helpful and their english language was very good. One of the managers, 'Keo', really spent a lot of time making sure that our holiday was care free and he really deserves a special mention for being a truely wonderful person and a great asset to Relais chateaux. The location was excellent, just a 10 minute walk to centre of town or 2000 kip (about £1.50) tuc tuc ride if it had to go the long way round as centre pedestranised at night for market. We always felt completely safe walking back to the hotel at night, even though we were 2 females together, and there was without fail always a staff member waiting at the gate. Air conditioning in room was excellent. Hotel provides complementary bikes with their own locks if you fancied a trip to town or the nearby phousey market and we used them regularly. The restaurant supervisor even got up at 4am in the morning on our day of departure to kiss us goodby and give us a packed breakfast. All in all I would definately recommend this hotel and would certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank zeeKent
Reviewed February 24, 2012

On the edge of Luang Prabang - a 15 minute walk from the "centre".. In a quiet street in lovely gardens with plants; terraces and swimming pools. Hotel comprises a number of (french style?) colonial buildings. Rooms comfortable; lovely beds, noisy air conditioners and not very functional "wet room" type bathrooms which flood when used. Rooms have a slightly musty odor to them.
Good restaurant - Lao food is suitably altered for western hotel type taste. Reasonable breakfast. Staff are very nice nd helpful but there is a language barrier )and perhaps a cultural one too) which means that things do take time/don't happen as they should. Pleased with the choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJCG
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Our recent stay at Satri House was extremely enjoyable - it is more like staying at a friend's house than staying in an hotel. Checkin in the sitting room was a very pleasant experience and I love the wood fire in the evenings! The attention to detail and the decoration were fantastic. The hotel is located a little out of the Old Town but it is easily walkable. The advantage of this is that it boasts 2 swimming pools, which are not allowed in the Old Town. The gardens are beautiful with lots of interesting nooks and crannies. Our room was great, apart from the mosquitoes which were ever present - thank goodness for the mosquito nets at night! It would also be very handy if there was a small mirror in the toilet! I think that the bed was like sleeping on a cloud - beautiful!
Breakfast was great but the coffee was very ordinary - any chance of improving on that? Now I am being picky, but I also think fabric napkins would be an improvement instead of paper(yuk!) ones for breakfast.
I just loved this hotel and would certainly return when next in Luang Prabang.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple