All reviews beautiful hotel royal residence junior suite night market tuk tuk poolside bar separate toilet old colonial quiet oasis homemade jams in town lao dishes lush gardens boutique hotel four poster bed ten minute walk free bikes
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We arrived at Satri House after a long seven hour car journey and had a very warm welcome from the staff and manager of the hotel. The hotel is beautiful, with a warm character and atmosphere. Our room was spacious, elegant and very well equipped. . The bed was large and comfortable with a mattress topper and very good quality pillows. Best nights sleep of the whole holiday. Well appointed bathroom with large shower and constant supply of hot water.
The grounds are well maintained and very nice swimming pool which was well attended by the hotel staff. We had dinner once at the hotel which was delicious but we ate the rest of the time in town where there was more choice and atmosphere. Don't let the position of the hotel put you off,(10 minute walk out of town) as tuk tuk's are always available and very cheap.The lack of English spoken by the staff was not really a problem as one of the managers always seemed to be around. A nice touch....the manager let us stay in our room after check out time to enable us to have showers etc as we didn't leave until late in the day for our flight. My only criticism was they had run out of tonic in the bar so I had to go without my G and T !!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Great grounds. Fab food. Completely covered in artwork. Could not count them all in our suite! Suite however quite strange the liv rm was separate. You had to exit room, lock it and go next door to non private space...we never used it. WIFI was very limited and slow. 10 minute walk to start of main area. I would take tuk tuk to far end of town and work back. As great as it was I would stay along small river on backside of old town that was best part of town quiet but one block from action

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for suite
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We were surprised at how close we were to just about everything. Location was perfect, so central -- night market, fresh market, currency exchange, good restaurants, temples, the river....

I enjoyed the quietness of the hotel with the lush gardens. Having a library with all sorts of magazines and books was a marvel idea. The rooms were fairly large. Not everyone in the staff was proficient in English though, but they were very polite and trying their best. I must make special mention of a young gentleman named Domingo, who went out of his way to address all our group's needs and concerns.

I enjoyed our overall stay at Satri House and would recommend it to others.

I would have liked in-room coffee/tea service.

Because of the ponds in the premises I noticed mosquitoes but fortunately, I was never bitten.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank milfloresdemanila
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Beautiful and exquisitely appointed property. Large and warmly decorated rooms. Well manicured grounds. However, the service provided just isn't what I have come to know as the standard for a Relais & Chateaux. The staff are lovely but they do not speak English for the most part (yes, I know I am in Lao) and it makes it very difficult to score points for service when simple requests are not understood -- at all. The manager and the restaurant supervisor are working to address a recognized gap and were very helpful in doing the extra to make our experience pleasant (much appreciated) but the staffing issues do need to be addressed to meet the expectations for a Relais & Chateaux and the price that goes along with that.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank luv2travelthree
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed in satri house for 8 nights end of feb 2012. The hotel and grounds are absolutely immaculate and our room which was a junior suite was huge with a seperate toilet and bathroom and huge shower down 3 other steps that was almost another room. We had a twin room as requested and the twin beds do not have mosquito nets so I voiced my concerns to manager and he immediately offered to upgrade us to the satri house suite when it became available the next day. He said that he would make the housekeeping staff aware that they needed to spray our room thoroughly on the first night so that we didnt get bitten and sure enough there was not a single mosquito still alive when we went to bed. We liked our room so much that we stayed in that one rather than move and the room was sprayed every night so in the whole holiday I didnt get a single bite.
The pool areas and gardens were beautiful and were swept and cleaned several times a day. The restaurant was lovely and we had huge fresh breakfasts every morning.
Our room was made impecibly every day and fresh water bottles and sweet treats were placed beside our bed every night. The staff were hard working and very polite and gracious. They went out of their way to be helpful and their english language was very good. One of the managers, 'Keo', really spent a lot of time making sure that our holiday was care free and he really deserves a special mention for being a truely wonderful person and a great asset to Relais chateaux. The location was excellent, just a 10 minute walk to centre of town or 2000 kip (about £1.50) tuc tuc ride if it had to go the long way round as centre pedestranised at night for market. We always felt completely safe walking back to the hotel at night, even though we were 2 females together, and there was without fail always a staff member waiting at the gate. Air conditioning in room was excellent. Hotel provides complementary bikes with their own locks if you fancied a trip to town or the nearby phousey market and we used them regularly. The restaurant supervisor even got up at 4am in the morning on our day of departure to kiss us goodby and give us a packed breakfast. All in all I would definately recommend this hotel and would certainly return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family