See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 8, 2015

I stayed in the 5-bed dorm with en-suite bathroom 5 nights in a row. There's not a lot of space in the room. Basically you have 2 bunk beds, one on each side of the room. So far, so good. But the owners have decided to add a single bed in between, taking most of the little space available. You better hope the 4 other guests sharing the room with you will be tidy. Same goes for cleanliness: as in most places with dorms, the room will only be as clean as your roommates allow it to be. The room is normally cleaned everyday although I noticed they skipped a day or two during my stay and the little bin was overflowing on the ground.
As far as the staff is concerned, the smiling and talkative husband makes up for his strict and a-little-less-welcoming wife (sorry but this is the brutal truth).
I was pretty happy with this place until I got in Thailand and realized that at least 1,500 baht had been subtly stolen from my secondary wallet, which I had left in a locker during the day. It's "only" around 45 USD but enough to travel comfortably in SEA for a few days with my budget...
As this is the only one time I did not have the wallet with me I am able to say rather precisely when it happened. At this time there was only 1 person sharing the room with me, a friendly old Lao man who came in Luang Prabang for the weekend. Either I have been fooled by this shy guy's friendliness, or someone from the staff did it. That's it, I'm not going to investigate further. Maybe I should not have left this wallet in the locker. The fact is I've been stolen at Wat That and this ruined my stay (a posteriori...)

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Gaeldm
Reviewed February 3, 2015

I loved the common area on the terrasse on the first floor. The room was clean and tidy. Shower is hot. Wifi was good. Location is perfect 2 minutes walking to the night market where all the tuk-tuks depart to the nearby attractions. The laundry service is the cheapest in the area. Don't expect any kind of customer service or help with organizing activities and tours or such from the owners and staff. You barely see them. The tourism office is right at the corner on the way to the night market for reliable information on the area.

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms at the top level where the common area is
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2014

Very friendly owner, price adequate to simplicity of rooms. Do not pick no. 2 or 3, there is a loud watter pump in neighbouring guesthouse making noise 24/7, hard to sleep with opened window.
But owner was fair, when we asked to change a room for some a bit more remote from pump, he offered us money back and recomended to find some other place because he had no other room... even than smiling and beeing polite.

• Stayed: November 2014
1  Thank dudys
Reviewed August 5, 2014

the woman who lives on the premises and runs the guesthouse is very nice. She is extremely welcoming and runs an inexpensive laundry service worth taking advantage of. The rooms are inexpensive, private, and safe, but are very basic. All in all, an entirely adequate and reliable place to stay near the busy backpacker part of town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Troy S
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed across the street at Wat That Guesthouse/Mala Dressmaker, she is their daughter. For SEA this place is average however the WiFi signal was strong in the common areas and the rooms were tidy. We stayed in a fan room and found it sufficient. Upstairs there are three rooms off the veranda where the common area is. Downstairs there are a few more rooms; I did not get a look at them but was told they are not as nice as upstairs. We were not offered coffee or tea in the mornings but she does supply cold water.

The guesthouse is close to the markets and the Mekong is right around the corner. It's a lovely walk to the Nam Khan in fact so much so I did it daily. There are a number of nice restaurants and a locally owned place right around the corner, Delilah's, serves up wonderful food and great coffee. There are also some great options at the night market including multiple buffets at 10,000 kip a plate.

Overall, average for SEA.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends