“First time in Dubai” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #48 of 544 Hotels in Dubai
England
“First time in Dubai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed at the Sofitel Jumeriah Beach as part of a pre world cruise sector package. What did we expect ? well as its on the beach and this is the season for holidays in Dubai, that the hotel would have a little of the holiday feel to it. It didn't. The atmosphere was very reminiscent of the many business hotels I have stayed in over the years. The room was adequate with a small balcony. We were glad we did some research and booked a top floor room. The hotel is located in a very lively area at night, with boy racers doing there stuff well into the early hours. One shock to the system was a pint of lager and a glass of house wine cost £16.00 is this the going rate in Dubai?? Veal sausage and bacon only available at breakfast, is this usual.
Whilst our stay was interesting, the staff friendly and efficient, it was with big smiles we boarded P&O's Arcadia

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amigo4lavida
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your first trip to Dubai. I am glad that you liked the location of the hotel and liked the view from your high floor room.
However, I am disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with the alcoholic beverage pricing. Please note that our prices are at par with all the hotels with similar star rating. Service of pork products requires a special licence and special kitchen with separate equipment and cooking vessels. This is as per Dubai regulations. I hope this did not impact the possibility of your return to Sofitel on your next visit to Dubai.
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Sami Nasser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,040)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. We had a room on the one of the higher floors over looking the sea. We could see the Palm development and the Burj Al Arab. The beauty of this location is that you can walk along the front which has lots of eating places and some shops. However, eat in the hotel as the food is excellent and service superb-we were on half board. The public beach is opposite the hotel and not busy. The hotel will give you a towel and a pad with a rest to lie on. The room we had was modern and luxurious. The bathroom had shutters which you could open and look over the sea, if you wanted to take a bath. The metro was about 10 minutes walk, maximum. This gets you to all the sights at a reasonable price. You can get a day ticket. There are plenty of taxis outside the hotel. The hotel staff provide excellent service. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lubman
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Let me state upfront that I have been a fan of Accor hotels, especially, as someone, who travels extensively on business and stays at their hotels a lot. Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, however, left me with a very bad taste, compounded by the fact that I was staying at a US$500 per night room. The room, per se, was great with a fantastic view of the sea. It was the service which fell short on several counts.

Firstly, my room service was almost always late - by over 30 min at one time. On top of that, they always jumbled up my orders. I don't eat beef or pork. But, despite repeated requests, they always sent my breakfasts with veal or pork sausages. This happened thrice!!

Their restaurants were another source of grief. I wanted to have lunch with my girlfriend on Thu. They have 3 restaurants. The first that we went to said they only have group bookings. The 2nd said they would start serving lunch at 2 pm. We finally sat down in the 3rd where after waiting for 20 min we got the menu (even though the restaurant was empty as a graveyard) and we had to leave after another 15 min of no service because we didn't want to die of starvation.

The worst experience was another evening when I had a guest over and I wanted to have a nice drink with him in a not-so-loud-place so we could talk business. I was told that their French restaurant was having an employee party that evening. They were playing music so loud that it was impossible to sit anywhere close. I knew of their Club Millesime lounge and the fact that I could go there after paying a fee (it was otherwise reserved for upper floor guests). Despite repeated requests, the reception just didn't allow me to go. I offered to pay the fee - still they wouldn't let me. This was the service to one of their loyal A-club members who is paying US$500 per night.

In conclusion, I don't think I can stay at the Sofitel Dubai anymore, especially when there are so many much nicer hotels available in the same area for a lot cheaper.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KKP2012
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your March visit to Dubai. I am extremely sorry to read your review and apologise for the inconvenience you faced during your stay. I have already shared it with the team that is working on eliminating all the possibilities of these issues happening again.
I thank you for the time you took to review your stay and for sharing your feedback with us. If you need any assistance in future, please do not hesitate to write to me on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae. We do not want to lose our loyal guests and hope that you will give us a second chance to show you the improvements in our service standards.

Berlin, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I write this review with a bit of a heavy heart, as I am usually a big fan of the Sofitel brand and stay there, usually very happily, all over the world. The Sofitel Jumeirah, however fell short on several counts. But lets start with the positive: the hotel is in a good location, directly next to the (public) beach, on a stretch of "croisette" with many great restaurants- you can actually go for nice walks in the immediate surroundings- a rare feat in Dubai. Staff is very friendly and helpful, as usual in Sofitels.

However, the negative impressions exceeded the positive ones this time:

1. "Standard rooms" are really tiny- unusual for Dubai.

2. The (commendably) free WLAN internet does not work in all rooms (in mine it barely did)- the signal is too weak.

3. Incomprehensibly the hotel seems to have been built with too few elevators. When its fully booked, expect to wait 5-10 (!!!) minutes for an elevator to come. Not great in a hotel with 32 floors.

4. The location has its downsides as well: in season, the road in front of the hotel is usually so clogged that it is basically impossible to get anywhere other than by foot (which does limit your options in Dubai greatly...).

Obviously, its still an OK hotel- no question. Its a Sofitael. I would however recommend to definitely not go there in "high season", as all the shortcomings are particularly acute then.

Room Tip: Check whether the internet signal is strong enough in your room- in some it isnt.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Wienerwuerstl
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I am happy to learn that you are a loyal Sofitel guest. The location of the hotel is definitely a plus as it offers fantastic sea views and lively surroundings. Our Ambassadors put additional stars in the already high service standards of the hotel.
I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you had due to the shortcomings you mentioned in your review. We provide a booster to the guests who face difficulty connecting to the free wi-fi. I hope the shortcomings did not impact the possibility of your return to a Sofitel hotel next time you travel.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

What a nice location with such a mild weather. Next to a very nice beach but a bit walking distance. There are a lot restaurants and shopping nearby. It is a very popular place and is very crowded in the evenings. Hotel amenities are very well coordinated. Rooms are very comfortable. Very relaxing environment. Would highly recommend for a short escape. I must admit that Dubai has changed a lot lately. It is very futuristic with the building styles and infrastructure. The crisis of 2009 is definitely over. I have seen so many luxurious cars.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SofitelDubaiJBR, General Manager at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent trip to Dubai. I am glad that you enjoyed your vacation and liked everything that the hotel has to offer.
I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor. We take all the feedback we get very seriously and share all the comments with the Management team. This helps in our efforts toward improving the service standards further.

Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is a nice property on the marina side of Dubai - down by Atlantis and towards Abu Dhabi.

In my 3 or 4 visits to Dubai so far, this area has the nicest boardwalk, if that's what you can call it. Every night there's a little street market that holds court outside, along with the nearly endless stream of people walkers and people watchers. Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and other exotica parade nightly down the road, and it's a proper lively spot with a good vibe.

The hotel has a nice outdoor pool deck and plantation-style bar, which was always cool at night. We felt cozy and comfortable here in December, and it was a nice getaway from the northern climes where we live.

We stayed at the Atlantis the night prior to hang with friends and it felt like everything and everyone was on parade... Ultimately it wasn't the place for us.

When we stepped into the Sofitel, it felt a lot more like where we wanted to be.

Nice.

The only downside is the noise... Not in the hotel per se, but all around... It never stopped. That background thrum that I crave escape from when I can.

Room Tip: Ocean view is best...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your recent visit to Dubai. I am pleased to hear that you felt comfortable and cozy at Sofitel and enjoyed your time with us. The hotel certainly has a hip feel to it, thank to the location, coupled with our high service standards.
I want to thank you for the time you took to review your stay and would be glad to assist you with your future bookings if you send me an email on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Check in a bit slow and disjointed - very confusing which part you are to go to, as the foyer is large with many desks.
We had a luxury room on the 27th floor with full sea view. The hotel room was quite small, but contained all that we needed EXCEPT any decent light whatsoever. I was reduced applying makeup on the balcony with a small hand mirror, and the hair dryer was next to useless.
The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet (as long as you kept the balcony doors closed) as the street below is busy and noisy with beeping cars. The furniture was slightly on the cheap/worn side, but reasonable. The mini bar was the usual high price that you'd expect, and well stocked. Tea and coffee in the room was fine. They do have FREE WIFI - which was important to us, and it was fast - so thank you Sofitel for that.
Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.
The pool was small and crowded.
The beach is across the road, which is fairly busy and is a public beach and not the best Dubai has to offer to say the least. They do provide you with towels, water, and some sort of 'bed' with an aluminium frame to carry across the road and set up.
The evening meal included was a bit dire. It's a buffet with over the top serivice -hello it's a self service buffet. Everytime we got up the napkins was folded the chair pulled, my bad 'hung up' -annoying, really annoying. We only ate there twice in 9 days due to this. The food was very good so it was a pity. It was also a large restaurant with only a couple of people whispering so no ambience at all.
The area was convenient enough with plenty of restaurants and coffee shops, so you were able to have a walk. We went through the Hilton which was down the road, and this appeared to be a much more holiday type of hotel as it was on the beach with lots of sunbeds and pools.
A must it the Dubai Mall. Get a table at The Mango Tree Thai restaurant outside and watch the dancing fountains - very special.

Room Tip: Sea facing on a high floor. This is both for the view, which is great of the Palm and the sea, but a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Sofitel Dubai Jumeirah Beach on your long vacation in Dubai. I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay in detail.
I am, however, disappointed to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your stay and that our service standards didn't match your expectations and style.
I would be happy to assist you with your future bookings if you decide to return to Dubai. Please write to me on customer.service@sofiteljbr.ae for the same.