“Very good service”
Review of Al Sondos Suites

Al Sondos Suites
Ranked #380 of 556 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Really good hotel. I made a mistake with our booking, indicating that we'd like king singles (when we actually wanted a king bed). To 'make up' for the 'inconvenience' (as I said - totally my mistake when booking) they upgraded us to a beautiful suite. The only reason we probably won't stay here again is that next time we'll be in Dubai, our son will be old enough for some of the 'adventure' facilities (eg, waterslides) that this one doesn't have.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Last stay was May 2011 being my second stay, my travel companion has stayed several times over the last six years. He, having stayed at other hotels near the ocean said they don't match this one to location and easy access to everything, I agree! Every suite that we have stayed in has been immaculate, queen bed, full size fridge/freezer, clothes washer/dryer, basic cooking facilities, flat screen TV etc. Free internet use in ground floor lobby off to the right and tour booking facilities available at reception. Breakfast choices are great, with wonderful service. Only a few minutes from the airport by taxi, very easy access. Walk across the road and you are at the metro train station and Deira City shopping arcade. Everything you need is in the arcade, restaurants, clothes, movies...the works! Can book the double decker hop on hop off bus from here, there were two lines when we did this in January 2010 and they are well worth it. Included in the ticket is the boat ride on Dubai Creek. Train stations are easy to buy tickets at, regular and fast service which gives you easy access to all the great malls. Can give advice on jewellery shops, malls and sites if interested.

Room Tip: Of the ten nights I alone have stayed I have never heard any noise from the rooms I have been in.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed at the Al Sondos Suites in June for 5 nights.

I am struggling to believe all the other reviews. Did we stay at the same hotel? The reviews for Al Sondos indicated a good, excellent even hotel. Our experience was anything but.

Good points – The location of the hotel is right next to the entrance to the Deira City Centre metro station. It’s literately a 20 second walk from the hotel front door to the entrance of the metro which can get you to downtown Dubai in around 25/30 minutes.

We arrived at around 1pm and were proceeded to be checked in. During this process we were told that payment for our stay would be taken when we checked out and they needed to take my credit card details now, to guarantee our stay. I was a bit perplexed and explained that I had already paid through the website we had booked our stay with; I even had proof in the form of a confirmation email stating that payment had already been made. The staff member was very highly insistent that no payment had been received and he needed to take my credit card details. I was very dubious by this point, and they then proceeded to charge 2000 dirhams to my card. The hotel charge 200 dirhams as a pre payment in case you use the mini-bar or break anything during your stay (mostly everything seemed to be not working anyway in the room, so how you could break anything would be a challenge)

Then we were informed that the room which we had booked (executive suite non smoking) was no longer available and that the hotel would 'upgrade' us to a one bed roomed apartment but it would be a smoking room. How can a hotel take your booking for a non smoking room, reserve you that room, then when you check in announce that “Oh sorry, all off our non smoking rooms are full” This is beyond me.

Faced with no choice, I asked to see the room before I made any decision and was escorted up to check the room. I was given a very brief quick look around. There was no doubt that you could strongly smell smoke. From my quick two minute look around, I explained that the room would have to do as long as they did something about the smell.

Needless to say as other people have found when staying at this hotel, we found our room to be dirty (stains on the carpet, dirt on the floor, curtains hanging off the rail, the bathroom had a funny smell coming up from the pipes) things were missing from the kitchen (we had four forks, no spoons and one knife, an iron and no ironing board, dirty plates and work area). No plasma televisions either, it was old fashioned large one which some of the channels didn’t work on and the picture quality was terrible.

The room was a complete dump, it could have done with a coat of paint, all the furnishings were outdated and looked like they had came straight out of the 80’s, the room had a musty smell. The towels were very poor quality and had obviously been in one to many washes, the nice toiletries were the only good thing about the room! One pair of slippers and one bathrobe, yet the room was for two people? None of this is what I was expecting from a hotel associated with Le Meriden brand.

I complained first thing the next morning that the room had not met our expectations and was not in any way, shape or form 'clean' and was told that miraculously an non smoking room (the room we had originally booked and paid for) was now available! Why they couldn't have told us this the day before when we checked in, we still don't know as it would have saved the hassle of unpacking and then repacking again. We were then moved to a non smoking room which we were told would not be an upgraded room as we were upgraded to a bigger room yesterday as a goodwill gesture. This made no sense (YET AGAIN!) to me as it was the hotel who had caused us the inconvenience so why did we have to miss out?

We decided to look into the fact that we had a confirmation email confirming payment. Over the next few days this resulted in numerous phone calls to the UK trying to trace what had happened to our payment (all of these at my expense) and a lot of time spent dealing with the unhelpful front desk staff at the hotel who always seemed to have some sort of new excuse to try out on us. Talking to them was a waste of time. All of this took valuable time away from our trip to Dubai.

I confirmed what I originally explained to the hotel when we checked in that payment for our stay HAD been taken. The email confirmation which I had was dismissed by the front desk staff and they would not accept this as proof (despite the fact it was from the company with whom we booked the hotel), so upon their request I had to spend yet more, yes more time getting in touch with my bank in the UK, who sent proof from my bank statement to us, to show the hotel that money was taken from my account and was received into theirs.

We presented this to the hotel and we told in quite abrupt terms that “The accounts department is now closed for the day so it will be tomorrow at the earliest that we have an answer for you” Tomorrow morning came and went and still no information or communication from the hotel. That afternoon we had had enough, and stated that we were not leaving until the problem was sorted, the hotel agreed to destroy the authorisation payment which they had charged to my card and then provided me with proof that that had cancelled the transaction. They stated this was all they could do at this point and we would still have to wait to see if they could ‘find the payment' in their system.

By this point I was absolutely furious. If we hadn’t already paid for our stay in advance, I would have checked out there and then and went to another hotel.

We were now on day three of our trip and still the hotel had not done anything whatsoever to try and sort this out for us. We had to do all the chasing up and had to be constantly on their backs in order for us to get a resolution.

As a member for Starwood Preferred Guest, I decided enough was enough and I got straight onto their complaints department who were very helpful and said that they would personally email the hotel and ask them to get this mess sorted.

Within one hour of that email being sent, I received a phone call from the manager of the hotel who wanted to apologise for the trouble caused and said they had now cancelled the payment charged to my card and had also now strangely enough located the payment in their system which we made for the room. All this as soon as I involved their head office, yet no one at the hotel wanted anything to do with our problem before I went to their superiors. Isn’t that strange!

Then we were also shocked to receive a complimentary newspaper and fruit bowl each day after this from the hotel, even though before I took my complaint further, we didn’t receive any of these yet other rooms on our floor did!

The second room which we were moved to was also dirty, just as the first was. The curtains didn't close and we hanging off the rail, not to mention that they were heavily stained, the windows looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years and were covered in filth, the balcony was covered in a very thick layer of bird poo absolutely everywhere, some of the plugs and sockets were hanging dangerously off the wall with live wires exposed (no child could have gone near them). The TV remote didn’t work, some of the lights needed bulbs and the bed linen was only changed every three days. The bed sheets were visibly stained with marks as were the carpets and rugs. I have taken photos of all of the above so please take a look.

Please don't be fooled by the hotel pool either. It’s not on the roof top as previously mentioned, it’s located on the 1st floor of the hotel. Much like everything else in this hotel, the pool is also in a sorry states of affairs eg, tiles missing around the pool, dirty drains, cracked pavement tiles (both in and out of the pool). The man who is meant to be looking after the area and checking in/out guests, sat on his mobile phone all day and was never there at any point when I needed to ask for towels etc. Not only was the pool commandeered by young children mostly everyday, the pool guy seemed to think nothing of letting them jump, dive, shout, scream and splash everyone within the vicinity, even though there are signs everywhere saying 'no diving' etc, all this while standing around talking, laughing and joking with the fathers of the young children in Arabic. It’s probably more realistic to call the pool a kiddie’s pool, as the size of it (tiny) is just perfect for them to play around in. The experience in no way matches the photos on the hotel website.

There is also no free WiFi at the hotel. It’s only free to use in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. You have to pay if you want to use it in your room.

I would NEVER EVER recommend this hotel. I can't understand all the other reviews of this place, although some of them seem to be slightly bias and seem to all follow along the same lines! Strange that eh?

Since arriving back in the UK, further investigation has uncovered that we don't seem to be the only ones who the hotel have tried to charge twice (it seems to be a recurring theme) and are far from the only people to complain about the standard of cleanliness. It been reported many times, it’s just a shame that Al Sondos haven’t taken any notice of what their guests have been saying. They seem to just be whitewashing all the blaring faults they have.

We stayed here after travelling around Asia for three weeks, staying at numerous hotels along the way. Our expectations were high due the Le Meriden name, however to spend one night staying here, is one to many.

The motto of our stay and to some up our time spend at the hotel seemed to be ‘not our problem’ which was the response we got from the hotel staff anytime we tried to sort out our many problems. Not only were they unhelpful, unfriendly and ill-equipped to deal and respond to our problems quickly and effectively, they were highly unprofessional on many occasions and could do with a lesson or two in customer service – the Le Meriden one at that.

To associate this hotel with Le Meridian is an insult. I have previously stayed at Le Meridian hotels and in no-way shape or form, does this hotel represent the usual standards of service which Le Meridian offer.

I can’t believe that Le Meriden put their name to this hotel. If only they’d visit they’d probably revoke it within 30 minutes of walking through the front door.

The final nail in the coffin for this hotel was when we were checking out and were presented with a bill for our stay. On it they had tried to charge us for a breakfast we had supposedly taken at the hotel the previous day. Not only did I refuse to sign the bill (our stay was already paid so no need), I also explained that how could we have had breakfast yesterday morning as at the time they were trying to say we were there eating at, we were sitting on the bus to Abu Dhabi. I’ve got to hand it to you Al Sondos, it was a nice try, but I had the time stamped bus tickets to prove that’s where we were.

And with that we checked out……if only we’d never checked in! Please don’t make the same mistake we did.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank proceed_to_departure
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I loved it, nice place, clean, And very close to Dubai metro.

Try it and you will see :)

• Stayed: July 2010
LMAlsondos, Management at Al Sondos Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your time and letting us know your feedback. We are quite happy to know that you loved the property. We look forward to seeing you here again.
Thank you once again, regards, Hotel Management.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

I along with my family spent two days over a weekend at this perfectly located hotel in the heart of Dubai. The best and most convenient aspect of the location is Dubai Metro station which is just next door. Secondly Deira City Centre was across the road. We did not have to even walk a minute in the heat to take the trains or go across to the shopping mall. The service was also fairly efficient. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was very clean and surprisingly quiet. The breakfast buffet was elaborate. What else one can expect when one is out shopping most of the time! Three cheers to Al Sondos Suites!

Room Tip: Go for one bedroom suite facing the service road.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Many thanks for your response. We are extremely happy that you had a wonderful stay with us. The metro station in front of our hotel is like the favourite of almost all our guests and we are happy that you felt the same. We hope to see you again and we assure you the best of our services. Thanks & Regards,Hotel Management.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

I had always wanted to try this hotel because of its proximity to the Metro and City Centre. The rates now are very competitive (Dh 350/$95). As an SPG Platinum member I was given a spacious 1-bedroom suite, which had a well-equipped kitchen, 1.5 baths and a separate bedroom with ample closet space.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
LMAlsondos, Management at Al Sondos Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Dear Guest,
We are really pleased to know that you have tried our hotel and is happy with our suites and other accessories. The metro which is at our doorstep is a very convenient factor which all our guests really enjoy. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks & Regards,Hotel Management.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

We stayed for 2 nights and thought the suite was nice, with all the amenities you would expect from a quality hotel. The breakfast was the best I've had in a hotel. The service was excellent.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imissneworleans

Dear Guest,
Thankyou for taking time to share your experience. We are really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and also our signature breakfast. We hope to see you stay more often with us. Also, let us know more of your feedback and suggestions. Appreciate your kind thoughts. Regards,Hotel Management.