7,158 results
All reviews tower room club tower al khaima gary rhodes club room main building piano bar sea view half board cold towels grosvenor house building work bottle of champagne sister hotel pre dinner drinks fantastic hotel an upgrade
Reviewed December 21, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights last week of November '07. Myself, the wife and 9month old baby. Was our first visit to Dubai.

I would like to breakdown my review in 2 distinct categories 1). Dubai(sights, transport, shopping etc) 2). The Hotel - Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa - the important bit. Slightly lengthy but read on...

1). Dubai - totally agree with other TripAdvisor posters that Dubai is without a doubt the construction capital of the world! However, we did not let this damper our excitement of being in Dubai on our first ever family holiday. We loved it. The weather was great, the people were friendly, the shopping was relatively inexpensive and to top it all we had afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab. Totally amazed by the one and only self proclaimed 7star hotel. Lavish colour schemes, the bold gold(plated/shimmered) pillars and bite size sandwiches and sweets, went down a treat.

We did not see much in the way of public transport except a few buses here and there. However, they are in the process of build an overground metro/tube system due for completion soon. We used the local taxi to get round. From our hotel, which was at the far end of Jumeira Beach to Dubai Deira - the old city varied between 60-80 UAD depending on the route taken by taxi driver.

As our stay was only 5 nights, we only managed the following sights - Dubai Deira(the old city), Dubai Creek, 4x4 Desert/Sand dune tour and BBQ dinner/evening entertainment in the desert, the Burj al Arab and the world famous Gold Souk.For shopping we visited the famous Mall of Emirates, Wafi Mall and not so famous but our favourite Ibn Battuta Mall and of course the world famous Gold/Diamond Souk. The Ibn Battuta Mall has 4/5 themed area - namely, Persian, Indian, Chinese, Egyptian and one other I cannot recall. Personally, for shopping I recommend the old city, obviously depends on what you're buying. I wanted some fragrances, found the prices in the city to be at least a third less then the big shopping malls.

And now the most important part of the review - The Hotel - Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort and Spa
Firstly, I would like to say that this hotel was not my first choice, that being Mina A' Salam at Madinat Jumeira purely due to the fact that it held the #1 position on TripAdvisor above all hotels in Dubai. Since it was our first ever holiday as a family, I wanted nothing but the best. For me that meant Mina A'Salam. As it was one of the busiest times of the year, Mina A' Salam was fully booked. Naturally, I was very disappointed, the travel agent suggested Jumeira Beach hotel(sister hotel of Min A'Salam), but at the time its position on TripAdvisor was far below then it is today. In the end settled for Le Royal Meridien.

The hotel consists of three guest accommodation buildings, main building, the Club and the Tower. We were in the club building with its own check-in/reception and club lounge for refreshments. Initial impressions on approaching the hotel total amazement at sheer level of construction surrounding the hotel. Check in was really smooth, while waiting they gave us fresh fruit cocktail and ice-cold towel. Then we were taken to our room.

The room was relatively good size with private balcony and decent seized bathroom. The hotel being a 5* I was expecting a little wow factor in way of décor, style and arrangement of the room. This was a disappointment, simply didn’t impress me. Could easily be confused with Travelodge!! However, the communal areas of hotel – receptions in all three buildings, the inter-connecting hall ways and some restaurants etc. were all marbled(granite?!) and shiny clean. It was a shame that that feel of grandeur did not follow through into the rooms(at least not in the Club building). So we asked to view a Tower suite. Which was also disappointing. Perhaps my expectations were too high or that I was little fussy. But the Tower sweet was no bigger then our Club room. The only difference being the colour scheme. The bathroom appeared to be smaller then what we had and the separate seating area was just two arm chairs with a table arranged at the end of bed, just like Club room.

One thing that did impress was the very high level of service provided by all the staff, from door men to reception staff, porters and room service. That felt truly 5*. This was the only area where the hotel lived up to its 5* rating.

Overall – my 4* rating is based purely on service. I think other people would agree that hotel room décor is dated and in desperate need of modernisation or simply a change of colour scheme at the very least. Another reason for only 4* is hotel location, it’s one of very last hotels at the end of Jumeirah Beach. Although not too far but there are a number of other 5* hotels that are closer to Burj Al Arab and Dubai Deira. For future reference I have also learned not to put all my eggs in one basket by having complete trust and faith in TripAdvisor reviews and its hotel ranking. I’m sure people have returned blissfully happy after booking a hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and ranking systems but my experience tells me otherwise.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
10  Thank yadaYadaYada_07
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Just returned from a fantastic 4 night break in Dubai. The service at this hotel is amazing. It is in a great location right on the beach, has really nice pool and gardens area. I stayed in a Tower room which had butler service, also complimentary wine and fruit every day. The rooms were a good size, really nicely decorated - real luxury!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
10  Thank mcscottie
Reviewed November 29, 2007

Stayed in the hotel earlier this month, what can i say, the whole area around is a massive building site, i counted 78 cranes in view, when we checked in (executive memebers) we were upgraded to a suite, which was lovely if a little on the green side, if you like green then fine, the view, what can i say, building cranes and dust and cement lorries, awful
the air quality is also not as it used to be, lots of dust in the air due to all the building
I think dubai marina area is best avoided until they have finished all the building, i certainly could hear the building from the beach side of the hotel.
the thai restarant is fab, the fish market very average the buffet area absolutely awful including service, warm red wine, yuk
but breakfast buffet was good
this is 5 star hotel. so the complaints i have should be enough to put you all off going,

• Trip type: Travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank jewelly100
Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed at Le Royal Meridien for three nights, on our way back from Australia.

The hotel managed to let us check in hours before the official check in time, and offered us a complimentary breakfast as we waited for our room to be ready.

The hotel is beautiful, but its staff were amazing. They were always smiling and couldn't do enough for you.

We had a fab time and would certainly go back to this hotel. We had a standard room which was very nice, but I think we may stay in a Club room next time. I hear they are even more amazing !

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank keithandsau
Reviewed November 23, 2007

Just returned from an excellent 7 day break at LRM. Pound for pound, you are unlikely to get much better in Dubai.

A great hotel with a good location which is only a 10 mins in a cab from the malls and busier hotels but also far enough away for some R&R. As with all of Dubai, there is building work going on around the hotel but you do not notice it. The facilities and restaurant choices are good and the staff friendly and attentive.

A couple of tips

1. Book restaurants before you depart the UK. My sister works in Dubai
so was able to pull some strings to get us into restaurants and bars that would have otherwise been full. Look up the following:

a) Zhen He's at the Madinat. Exceptional Chinese
b) La Parrilla at Jumeriah Beach Hotel - the best steak you will ever have
c) The Burj - its totally over the top....almost naff really but you'll need to book in advance for afternoon tea or access the bar at the top.

2. Don't pay excessive amounts for transfers through your travel agent. We were being quoted some £30 per head for return transfers. A cab from the airport, should cost about £10.

3. For drinks
a) Bar 44 at the top of the Grosvenor House Hotel. Great cocktails and good views
b) Barasti Bar at Le Meridien Sehi - good atmosphere at this beach bar. Would be a good place to watch sport when England were playing

The rest of the reviews say it all. Its a great choice

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple