“The ultimate fly n flop” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa

Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 545 Hotels in Dubai
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“The ultimate fly n flop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Myself and my fiancee decided we needed a spring break in the sun. She had always wanted to go to Dubai and I guess it was one of those places that I was just inquisitive about. So we did our research (mainly here) and compared the costs. For us on paper this hotel looked the best option and so we booked up 10 days.

I could tell you lots and lots about this place, but I will just give you the headlines. Check in is not until 1pm. We turned up at 9am (due to flight times). We expected to drop the luggage and go explore for a few hours. But no. They gave us drinks, danish pastries and asked us to wait for 40 minutes whilst they got the room ready. An hour and a half later, a very appologetic member of reception told us that he was so embarrassed about the delay that they had upgraded our room! This is still 1.5 hours before we were meant to be checking in anyway!!!

This sets the tone for the kind of service you can expect. Genuine nice people. They appreciate the tips, yet never expect or hint in any way for them. They do what ever they can to help. English is widely spoken, but of course to varying levels. I was amazed watching the conciege speak Russian, then Arabic on the phone, then English to me and I believe Japanese (could have been Chinese for all I know) to the next guest as I left the desk. Just AMAZING!

Pools are nice. The infinity pool for you perfectionists, is not an infinity pool, just a pool where water runs over the edge, but none the less they are all very well maintained (there are two others) and have excellent life guards on duty at all times. There was an elderly gentlemen who I found out had limited movement and had lost a leg to diabetis. The lifeguards literally spent hours with him each day helping him into the pool, ensuring that bouyancy aids were in place and giving him intense one on one assitance in an incredibly respectful way. The care given by these strangers to a guest was of such a level that I can feel emotion just thinking about it whilst typing this!

Rooms, nice, clean, comfortable, functional, air con a little irratic but nothing terrible. Guest services helpful but there was a varying level of knowledge depending on who you spoke with. Tip, if you dont get the info you want from one of them, go back a little later and try again. Please dont think that this was bad service, I simply got the impression that some of guest services were local / lived in Dubai, whilst others for all intents and purposes lived in the hotel and only knew about the rest of the city because of what they read in the leaflets.

Resturants. Maya (Mexican), the staff are just simply the best resturant staff ever! The food is interesting and full of flavour, probably not always what Brits would know to be Mex from our chain restaurants but I would say it was a lot better tasting!! Live band every night and they are good! Fusion, great tasting asian food, Rhodes 20/10 OMG you want steak? You got to go here, it is a great looking venue with fantastic food. Brasserie, this is your bulk standard buffett but the selection is wide and varied accomodating all folk including veggies, Muslims, sushi lovers, Europeans and good old fashioned British food as well. Any Americans reading this - sorry there was no burgers! lol For a Burger try the sports bar which shows Footie, Rugby, F1, UFC. Food here not so great compared to the others, kind of basic burger and chips but a very,very relaxed environment. There was one restaurant that we hated, so much cant even remember the name of it. Probably purely because it was not our style. It was fish based, you had to go to a counter like at Tesco's, choose the fish you wanted or the live fish in the tanks behind, then this would be weighed, you then have to work out how and with what ingredients you want it to be cooked in, how it should be cooked, what should accompany it and then you get your price. It just felt like a major ball ache, the food was ony ok and the service levels where no where near as good as at ANY of the others (including buffett) although I guess we may have just been spoilt!

You could spend your whole stay in the hotel compound if you wanted. There is everything you need there. The beach is fantastic! There are bars subtly located all around the grounds, you will never have an excuse to be thirsty other than due to the prices! Basic rule of thumb, you want a basic alcholic drink, its going to cost you around £10, you want a soft drink its around £5.

There are also some sporting events and you have the likes of Trevor Sinclair and Carlton Palmer doing football coaching there one afternoon a week.

This is somewhere were the celebs go although there were no paparatzi that we noticed. The 10 days we were there ended with the Dubai world cup. Our last night saw a big function hosted by Peter Andre (private unfortunatly lol) and my fiancee became all star struck and had to have a picture taken with Amy Childs when she suddenly realised she was sun bathing practically next to her.

The inhouse night club (bar below) is really only what you could refer to as a two floor lounge bar. You want wild, you go to Club XL in the next door hotel, you want busy go to Club 44 at this hotels sister the Grosvenor, you want to have fun in a small group, Bar Below is the place. Incredible staff who will dance and be playful with you and a very entertaining DJ who is just good fun!

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE STEAM ROOMS AND HEMMA POOLS (upstairs above the Spa) you dont pay extra and are perfect to get ready for a lazy day by the pool - oh, the Gym, totally kitted out with everything you need, so no excuses!! :)

If you do plan to go off site, make sure you do preplan, avoid relying on motorised transport between 6 and 9 pm, this part of Dubai just becomes a huge traffic jam at those times, remember Thursday night is even worse as it is the locals equivalent of a 'Friday night' and everyone seems to be out to play!!

All in all, trips are always what YOU make of it, but this place is a perfect opportunity to make it a very relaxed and enjoyable break!!!

7 Thank Welst
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your stay at the hotel.

We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your 10 day stay with us and that you were able to experience many of the services and facilities throughout the resort.

We were exceptionally happy to hear that you were impressed with the lifeguards friendliness and helpfulness with all guests and in particular one guest who was in need of a little more assistance.   You will be happy to hear that Le Royal Meridien lifeguards this year won first place in the UAE lifeguard championships for a second year running for which we are extremely proud of.

We were also pleased to hear that you really loved your dining experience in Maya by Richard Sandoval and particularly liked the style of cuisine on offer.

Finally with regards to your visit to Mivida, we are sorry that you did not enjoy the concept of this restaurant.  The choice and display of fish on the market place is specifically designed to allow our guest to choose and see which daily catch they prefer to choose and then to have it cooked in the cooking method of their choice.  I am sorry if our team did not explain the concept very well at the time or give indications on the price of fish being chosen.

We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Pam Wilby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,327)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This hotel is amazing, Great service, Chocolates delivered to our room every night, Amazing food, Everyone was very helpful and friendly, weather was great, I even met amy childs who was staying there too. About 5 different restaurants and all outstanding, rhodes twenty ten was outstanding.

10 Thank Joyce W
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed all the services and facilities at the hotel and that our team was both friendly and accommodating, ensuring that you are looked after throughout the stay.

We were also happy to hear that you enjoyed the selection and choice of food within our restaurants with special mention to our steak house, Rhodes Twenty10 by Gary Rhodes.

Jersey C.I, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and i stayed here as part of our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a large suite on arrival with flowers, cake and early check-in.

Room was lovely! Ginormous balcony overlooking the pool & a great lounge area to relax in.

Pool was great and you could get water in buckets of ice free (due to the heat).

Restaurants were great, our favourite was the Thai one - ate there twice and went to the mexican one too that was good.

Hotel is in good location, we asked the hotel to sort a trip for afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab and this was organised hassle free, we even got a little reminder through our door.

Breakfast was fab each day, really good quality!

Would definitely return :-)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank JerseyGirl-uk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to hear that you chose to stay with us for your honeymoon and as this was a very special occasion it was our pleasure to upgrade you to one of our suites. We were happy to hear that you really liked the room as well as the special amenities provided.

We were also pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your dining experiences in both Fusion our Asian cuisine restaurant and our Mexican restaurant Maya by Richard Sandoval.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Bucharest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our stay at LRM would have been the pinnacle of our hospitality experience, if their staff would have went the last mile… We arrived in the morning and were very well received, including were offered a complimentary continental breakfast. As we were waiting for the room to be ready, were invited to go to the beach. We were just about to do that when they paged us the room was ready. At 10 am! Plus we were upgraded to sea view! The room was large, well fitted and well maintained. The restaurant and beach service was outstanding. Despite the big size of the resort, the staff was plenty and attentive, so that you can feel personal attention. The garden and beach grounds are ‘wow’, considering the location. It was something special to look at the sea from the gardens, feeling like you’re in a tropical resort, and then turning around to see the skyscrapers of the Dubai Marina. But then we left, returning home. And we asked for the refund of the money they cashed in as deposit to assist us with our UAE visas. To date is two weeks since I requested the refund I only received assurance that this will happen in an uncertain future. This is pure and simple lack of respect and completely ruined our impression on the place…

10 Thank mircea_m
GHLRM, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We were very concerned to read your recent experience at the hotel and would very much value the opportunity to speak to you personally. May we politely ask that you contact us direct by e mailing us at LeRoyalMeridien-GuestServices@lrm-gh-dubai.com

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

General Manger
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

So we have just checked in after a long flight at 9.30pm and our room was supposed to be a sea view with a balcony. It was a terribly small room and bathroom and our balcony was literally above the 'club lounge' People sitting outside could look up into our room

Very disappointing first impression considering a week here for my husband's 30th has set me back close to £2,500

They agreed to move us the following day which they did, however I couldn't help but feel very annoyed because I pay per night.

On the 2nd day they moved us to a similar sized room but higher up.
I think the rooms are very nice but not very big, however higher up you can see the sea.

The staff were absolutely AMAZING, constantly bringing us complimentary fruit and on my husbands birthday they gave us a lovely cake, card and chocolate dipped strawberries!

Everyday the breakfast buffet was extensive with a good selection of breads / pastries / eggs / cheeses / fruit / cereal / fried goodies

The beach is stunning with lovely soft sand and the sea was clean and nice. Only complaint was that the walk from the actual sun lounger on the sand to the sea was a bit far across some very hot sand. There were about 3 pools, all which had numerous sturdy loungers and were very comfortable. The loungers on the beach were very nice and had a little pillow on them which was lovely for taking a snooze and drying off after a dip in the sea.

My husband and I ate in the Maya restaurant which was mexican. Very tasty food but a bit pricey. We had a main each and 2 soft drinks but the bill came to a very expensive 250DHMs (£44)

After that we didn't eat in any of the hotel's restaurants but we did go for shisha and a mocktail in Al Khaima which was a beautiful arabic themed garden restaurant.

The Club lounge access was good too, where in the evenings we could have complimentary wine / mocktails and some tasty canapes. My husband and I don't drink but we saw plenty of people taking advantage of the free wine and spirits.

I think the best selling point about this hotel is its service and its location. Everyone is so smiley and happy and helpful. The location is AMAZING. Its only about 10DHM to the emirates mall, 25DHM to the Atlantis water park, 50DHM to Meena Bazaar, 10DHM to Dubai Marina and the Jumeirah Beach walk is around the corner. We spent many a night just walking down the long strip of JB with loads of restaurants and coffee places open as late as 3am!

The room size was disappointing. For the money spent I was expecting something bigger and a bigger balcony. Other than this the hotel itself and its facilities are amazing. The restaurants are extortionate but I guess thats to be expected considering its a 5 star hotel.
A burger and chips for 2 on the beach cost about £40 which was also very expensive.
In other hotels I have stayed at a meal on the beach is luxury but here it was too expensive to do more than once.

Great place, probably would return but only if I had plenty of money to spend.

I gave it 4 out of 5 because it is an amazing hotel but I think the value for money might be lacking and the prices too high.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank roxy_83uk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We were sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the initial room that was allocated for your arrival. I was however reassured to hear that our team was able to move you the following day resolving your concerns whilst staying with us.

We appreciate your feedback with regards to our Club rooms and you will be happy to know that we are currently planning a full refurbishment of this particular building scheduled for the summer of next year. Additionally, we are also in the process of upgrading our current Club Lounge with a state of the art Club Lounge facility, which we are planning to locate within our Tower building.

It was our pleasure to be able to celebrate your husband’s birthday whilst in house and we are pleased that you both enjoyed the special amenities provided.

With regards to our food pricing within our restaurants, we were sorry to hear that you felt it was a little expensive. Please be assured that we continuously benchmark our pricing against all other five star beach properties within Dubai. We will however be sure to take note of your comments when we next review our menus.

On a positive note, we were delighted to read that you enjoyed the selection and choice of food on offer in our Brasserie restaurant as well as the dining experiences in both our Mexican Restaurant Maya by Richard Sandoval and our Lebanese Restaurant Al Khaima.

We were also happy to hear that you enjoyed the service provided and like the location of the hotel.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

The service was characteristically good and the facilities were excellent. Some of the interior and restaurants could be modernised, although they are very nice. The location was excellent because it was just next to the Walk and close to public transport if you don't want to get taxis. The pool and beach were lovely, they came around with water sprays so you didn't get too hot!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bam4d

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Having stayed with us in the summer of last year, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed all our services and facilities at the hotel, finding us well located.

We were also delighted to read that you particularly liked our pool and beach areas and that our staff really looked after you throughout the stay.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

I agree with the other positive comments made, i.e. superb food, friendly and helpful staff, great facilities, location etc. However, we experienced some issues with almost daily harassment via the tv messaging service for an interim payment despite us paying £1500 on checking in. When I went to the front desk to pay, the general manager, Amit, confessed that due to UK guests absconding without paying for their stay, they had to bring in an interim payment apparently. Also, despite having 30 deluxe suites available, the front desk have a bad habit of placing guests in rooms with terrible views! Our booking confirmation stated sea view, but we ended up with a view of a busy motorway, tower blocks and outdoor pipes to a maintenance building! After complaining and providing written evidence, we were moved to a sea view suite the next day and had AED560 taken off our room rate for every day of our 5 night stay. Result, but not a great way to start our holiday, especially after we had waited several hours for our suite to be ready. The beach was a poor comparison to how we remembered it from 5 years previously. It is not private anymore, with the loungers packed in very closely to each other and some distance away from the shore. More Benidorm on an August bank holiday than the romantic private seclusion with powdery white sand that we enjoyed in the past. It's a shame, but I think it's time for us to move on and seek out a different hotel in Dubai.

Stayed March 2012
4 Thank ssc1969
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a constructive review of the hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the particular suite that was allocated for your arrival. Please be advised that whilst we do have a number of Deluxe Suites, the hotel was sold out during your stay, which meant that we were unable to provide one overlooking the Arabian Gulf on your first day. I understand that a room with a sea view was provided the following day and as a gesture of goodwill your room rate was reduced.

We were also sorry to hear that you felt that we disturbed you asking for an interim payment. Please be assured that this was never our intention however it is a standard procedure for all hotels to ensure that a guarantee is obtained for all guests staying in the hotel. I am aware that once you raised your concern to the attention of Amit our Reception Manager, this matter was resolved.

With regards to the beach, please be assured that this remains private for the use of hotel residents and club members only and is strictly controlled and maintained by our hotel team.

On a positive note, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our service and facilities at the hotel and that our team really looked after you throughout the stay.