“Very good, but not as good as in 2009....”

Jumeirah Mina A'Salam
Ranked #17 of 542 Hotels in Dubai
Hong Kong, China
“Very good, but not as good as in 2009....”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This was our second visit to Dubai. Our first visit was in 2009. We had such a wonderful, memorable time staying in Dar Al Masyaf last time..... it has been on my mind to revisit this wonderful resort and also wonderful Dubai.

I promised my parents that we will bring them to Dubai, it's a once in a lifetime must visit place in my opinion. And of course, I insisted on staying in Madinat Jumeirah. It's not Dubai without staying in MJ...seriously, that was my opinion after 2009's visit.

However, prices this time from all three properties DAM, Al Qasr and Mina, were about triple the amount of last time's visit. So, we were contemplating maybe to compromise and stay at Jumeirah Apartments, then we can access to MJ's facilities, but not have to pay so much for the hotel.

At the end, we decided to splurge and booked TWO rooms in Mina A Salam directly with the hotel. The prices were better than my travel agent's. However, no breakfast was included this time. We stayed two nights over Easter Holiday, April 2012. And the room size was decent, the bathroom was huge, and we got a nice high floor room facing the ocean.

Everything on the resort property was fine, just like last time, BUT the service in my opinion has slipped. It DID NOT WOW my parents, nor us. Compared to 2009, we were slightly disappointed this visit.

We stayed at the wonderful Grosvenor House prior moving over to Mina A Salam, And I informed the hotel to please at least give me ONE room at around noon for check in if possible because I have three children, and one is a baby. When we arrived, the reception wasn't even acknowledging my presence. They just let me wait at the counter until I couldn't wait anymore, I said, EXCUSE me, I need to check in. Then a girl, trainee, came over and said, are you Ms ----, and I said yes! Can I check in? So they took our reservations file right away, and then pressed away on their computer. It took a looonnngg time, and finally, the man at the reception said, you can have two rooms next to each other but it's on the first floor, if you want the higher floor (which I have requested prior arriving).... the rooms aren't ready, and they are not going to be next to each other. So we decided to take the higher floor and they said we will call you when the rooms are ready.

We left all our hand luggage with the bell desk, and went to the SOUK for lunch, we walked around until 3:00pm... and still no phone call. We were exhausted already and the children wanted to change to go to the beach, the baby needed to nap and I needed alot of the things that were in the hand carried luggage. So we just walked back to the lobby to see whether our rooms were ready. Again, even though they see all 8 of us walking into the lobby, and I was standing there at the desk, no proactiveness at all. I had to say "excuse me ?" then they look at me and acknowledge my presence, and obviously I am there for my rooms? They said, ok.... now you can go to your rooms.

I was a special guest returning to MJ which I will not mention the details in here, but NOTHING was given to us like upgrade, or breakfast, or complimentary airport transfer , or extended late check out... everything costed money, or you won't get it. A little disappointing after the last visit we had, and staying at the Atlantis, and Grosvenor House, they appreciated my business and my patronage alot more. Let's just say that.

I can't say the stay in Mina A Salam wasn't good. Everything was just "STANDARD". Impersonal service, and definitely everything was by the book. Our flight was at 11:30pm at night, I requested late check out for only ONE room when I booked, and was told I have to paid for the few extra hours for the late check out, I paid half a day's expense for it.

It also bothered me alot that the security guard next to the photo booth always ask us to SIGN in the form.... I just show him the room key, and said please don't make me sign anymore. I have signed a few times already today!

Wild Wadi was wonderful. Buggy service was always prompt and Arbras as well, were always readily available when needed. We never waited more than 5 minutes for someone to pick us up. The Beach was fabulous. Service on the beach was good. Always had lounge chairs available, but you do have to get your own towels, and drinks were a little slow but tolerable.

The facilities in the resort is very nice, the food is not good. Just like last visit, the food is STILL not good. Atlantis and Grosvenor House, Armani Hotel... are all that we have experienced, much better food and personal service to MY family. Hence, our next visit to Dubai, we might NOT stay at MJ anymore. Sad, but other hotels like Grosvenor House that gives us spectacular personal service, and upgrades, and free airport transfer, breakfast included, staff knowing me by the name throughout our stay.... the service and experience we got this time in Mina A Salam is not comparable and definitely not worth double the price a night compared to other hotels.

We just like the facilities in the resort. But as a HOTEL guest per se.... the value is not there at this price !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Katetam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have been to some amazing Friday brunches in Dubai, this is definitely in the top 2. Book in advance. It's awesome, the array of food from every corner of the globe goes on and on. There are several bars set up with everything from champagne, beer to mojito's and cocktails. Wine is topped up regularly at your table. Service is impeccable. Children are well-catered for too; they have a little kids section with staff doing face painting, marshmallows and fruit to dip in the chocolate fountain, the chafing dishes are at a lower level so the kids can see what's on offer. There was live music playing for the entire afternoon and it's just so relaxing there. Worth spending your whole Friday afternoon there and indulging. A must!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank TravellingQ8
MJGuestfeedback, General Manager at Jumeirah Mina A'Salam, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Guest

Greetings from Mina A’ Salam Hotel!

Thank you very much for posting a review in Trip Advisor with regards to your recent brunch experience with us.

I am personally delighted to learn that you enjoy our wide varieties of culinary offerings and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in our hotel in the near future. I believe that leaving such an impression on guests like yourself has led us to win the Time Out ‘Best Brunch in Dubai’ award this year.

Yours sincerely

Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I travelled all over the world, business and vacation, but never found a hotel with this service level. It is outstanding. The standard rooms are big and comfortable with a big bed and a sitting area., very good beds, a big bathroom with shower and bad.
the restaurants are very very good for a reasonable price. if you go to a hotel restaurant in the evening with a traditional arabic dow, you go back in time, so romantic.
the hotel has a beach and two smimmingpools, with beds.
towels etc are for free.
you even get a waterice on the beach and they clean your glasses etc.
I liked the privacy on the beach very much.
the hotel has beach gards.
there is a fantastic souk next door and a free bus to the mall.

the hotel is not cheap but is worth saving extra money and go for this hotel.
in any way, I will never chose a other hotel in dubai.

Room Tip: don't hesitate. book this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Maartje J

Greetings from Mina A’ Salam Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor following your stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you have been overall impressed with the quality of our hotel and service. Your gracious comments will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards which you have experienced during your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Madinat Jumeirah.

London
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and i stayed here Dec 2010 when we were expecting our first child. From the moment we arrived the wonderful experience started. We were treated like royals. They have a suk on sight and water taxis taking around. There are too many wonderful things to say about this place... As i said i would not stay anywhere else how.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank dru1980

Greetings from Mina A’ Salam Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor from your most recent stay with us at Mina A’ Salam. I was so pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay and would not think twice about choosing us again on your next visit in Dubai. We are the Arabian Resort of Dubai, so your recognition of the same completely delights us.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Mina A’ Salam.

Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at Madinat Jumeriah for a 48 hour layover after an African Safari. We did not expect to be so overwhelmed by the beauty of the hotel, the comfortable rooms, and the exceptional service.
Despite being a bit grubby on arrival (we'd been in a jeep earlier in the day), we were treated like royalty, and upgraded to a villa with personal butler and private pool. The room was not only lavish, but comfortable.
The staff gave us a comprehensive overview of the resort area and all its amenities, helped us with our sightseeing plans in Dubai, and also arranged a visit to the Burj al Arab by golf cart (just down from Madinat Jumeriah). Our butler even threw us a cocktail party in the evening.
I've stayed in 5 star hotels in New York, Canada and Europe, but this was by far the most excellent hotel stay of my life. I took more pictures on the grounds than I did on the last 5 days of my safari!
Just looking for an excuse to go back!!

Room Tip: If you can splurge on a villa- they are quiet and spacious, and the trip from the lobby to the room...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank KVanCan

Greetings from Mina A’ Salam Hotel!

Thank you for your review of Mina A’Salam during your recent stay with us. I am delighted to note that your expectations were exceeded and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Mina A’Salam when you next visit Dubai.

Wexford
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed here in November. The hotel is very impressive. The restaurants and food was beautiful. The stafff were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is located by the beach which which is a great asset if someone is going during very hot periods. I would definately recommend this hotel for a luxurious treat!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Louise W
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Mina A’ Salam and recommend our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you hold such fond memories of your holiday with us.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Midlands
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I am very remiss in writing this review as our trip was in october last year! However the hotel is amazing. We love it here and it is proving hard to beat. Everything is perfect - from the amazing service in the club lounge, to the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in - to the little treats that are left on your bed each evening on turndown service.

We are lucky enough to have stayed here a number of times but always get goosebumps when we pull up outside! This trip we found that management was much more visible than on previous occasions, with the General Manager and the front of house manager doing regular rounds in the club exec lounge, introducing themselves etc. We were also surprised by a bottle of champagne in our room when the front of house manager found out we were returning guests.

We love it so much we have just booked to return in September. Am on count down now!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DreamHols

Greetings from Mina A’ Salam Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us. It is very pleasing to read your positive comments and to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.