“Best place to learn spanish. Like a family”

Open Spanish - Day Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Open Spanish Lesson provides high quality instruction for students of all levels and ages. Our goal is to create an optimal learning environment allowing our students to learn and fully enjoy their experience. All of our instruction is private one-to-one lessons with tailor-made curriculum to meet the needs of each student. Teaching is balanced between the areas of writing, reading, and grammar
Reviewed 17 September 2017

I studied here for 2 weeks and it was an amazing experience.

My spanish improved dramatically whilst at this school. What makes this school so great, is the people that work here and the way they teach. Gonzalo and the other teachers primarily care for you as a person, and not just about your money. I studied at one of the other schools which is very popular on trip advisor and this was not the case there. I also got to know all the teachers and the other students in other classes very well. They create a natural and warm social environment for everyone.

I took private classes with the owner Gonzalo as my teacher. He had many creative and practical ways to help me learn faster.

This is not related to Spanish classes, but some evidence to show you how nice these people are. I told Gonzalo I wanted to buy a guitar and also being a guitar player himself, he took me to all of the guitar stores in the city to help me find the right guitar to buy. This was outside of school time and he just did this because he is a great guy. Also I went to a basketball game with Gonzalo and Shirley one night after school and it was a lot of fun.

I'd also highly recommend doing a home stay whilst at this school. I stayed with a lovely family for a week and this also really helped me improve my spanish, but also get a glimpse into everyday family life in Bolivia.

Couldn't recommend this place more.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

I spent 10 days living and studying at Open Spanish and I'd have stayed longer if it wasn't for visa issues. From the first day I felt like a part of the family when Gonzalo invited me to join them for football and BBQ with his family. The teachers are all patient and fun to speak with. Lessons were structured and free-flowing at the same time, including watching videos and going out to the museums for excursions. I started knowing the basics and to bring it to the next level, the teachers really challenged me with the content. I learnt a LOT in that short time with them. Staying at the dorm also means meeting other students and we had a good time at a bar, watching movies and having a BBQ.

Thank you Gonzalo, Shirley, Hugo and Rolando!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Gonzalo the director/owner of Open Spanish, is super helpful and accommodating. Gonzalo and his staff speak great English and are willing to help you with anything. My wife and I took one week of Spanish classes at Open Spanish, our instructor Shirley was great. Shirley had a structured plan for teaching us as much Spanish as possible in the first three days, then asked us what else we wanted to know and those topics were covered in our last two days. This seemed to be the right approach because honestly Spanish can't be learned in one week. Classes can be set up in two hour increments, or as we did, a 4-hr class in the morning each day with a 10-15 minute break for coffee/tea or a field trip to try some tasty breakfast treats. At the end of class, Shirley would assign homework that we would then be graded on or tested on in the next class. Also Gonzalo helps us coordinate a homestay with a local Bolivian family. I would highly recommend the homestay because it is an amazing experience to live with a family and learn the day routines of locals in Sucre.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

I did one week advance course at the open spanish school and improved a lot. The teachers have detailled knowledge on how to explain spanish grammar and the atmosphere is familiar and very nice. Between lessons you can play FIFA, table tennis and once a week there is a football match with all teachers and students. Moreover Gonzalo (the owner) spent a lot of time helping me buying and registering a motorcycle in Sucre after the lessons without charging anything! Totally recommend this school!

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

We did 6 days (2hrs per day) of lessons with Shirley and our Spanish improved immensely.

Shirley spoke in Spanish the whole time (except when we specifically asked questions in English) which made a big difference to our conversational Spanish. Because of Shirley's warm personality, after not long at all it didn't feel like a classroom any more but like we were chatting with a friend and finding out about local life in Sucre.

One thing we noticed is that the management is slightly disorganised (we were booking lessons day to day which probably didn't help) but as long as you are flexible with your time in Sucre then this is a great environment to learn Spanish and very good value.

Muchas gracias Shirley!!