“Best place in Ann Arbor”

Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 24 August 2017

This Red Roof is the best hotel in the area. Close proximity to U of M and excellent hotel staff. Barb and Vanessa are great people to serve you. The rooms are clean and smell fresh upon opening the door to your room. I stay here every week on business, and there is no other place I'd rather stay in this area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank Horsehead24
Jeff H, Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. We appreciate you staying with us every week and glad to hear our rooms are clean and smell fresh. I will be sure to share your comments about Barb and Vanessa with them. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

The room itself was very comfortable, and the atmosphere around the hotel was very inviting. However, the bathroom inside of the room was a little eerie. The light was quite dim, and it flickered for a bit before it turned on. Other than the bathroom, this room was very clean and a good choice for someone looking to have a quick stay in the Ann Arbor area. As for the breakfast, the combined menu with Big Boy was a little disappointing. The complementary Red Roof options were limited, so we just ordered from Big Boy's menu.

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank Bridgette P
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Thank you for taking time out of your day to post your review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feedback to better ourselves. I'm glad to hear your room was comfortable and you found our grounds inviting. I hope you visit us again should your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Everything is pretty good once you're in your room. The receptionist lady in the lobby was very rude. She didn't want us to get the discount we got for whatever reason and was very obviously upset about it. The hotel claims to be "100% smoking free" but right at the entrance to the lobby, an EMPLOYEE was smoking anyway. Slow room service, sometimes forgetting you even called. Bathroom door closes but doesn't lock, and you can't request a cot because they don't have any! I would sleep on the couch but guess what? THERE'S NO COUCH! Just go to the Hampton next door and protect yourself against backache from having to sleep on the floor.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank MattNotComfy

Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us fell below your expectations. I appreciate your candid feedback and your comments will help us get that much better in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I kept saying to my wife, I can't tell if this place is perfectly acceptable or right on the edge of scary. There were multiple situation where the surface was good but closer inspection showed a different side of things. Examples:

1) The room looks clean when you walk in. It looked recently painted and had a mixture of carpet and "hardwood floors" (which I actually am starting to like in hotels). But when you looked more carefully the flooring was heavily scuffed and looked like it had only been dustmopped for months. It was actually kind of dirty in the middle and showed definite accumulations of dust along the walls. Similarily, the exterior walls and railings all had an accumulation of dust on them (this is a motel with exterior doors).

2) The place is covered with signs bragging that they are a smoke free property and asking you to refrain from not only smoking in the rooms but outside of the rooms. BUT, when we first entered our room I was hit with an odor of smoke. The next morning I found out why. I actually saw a member of housekeeping come out of a room she was cleaning and take a hit off of a cigarette on her supply cart. I also saw a maintenance man wiping down a garbage can while holding a burning cigarette. Signs ask guests not to smoke on property but this doesn't apply to employees I guess.

3) The free breakfast is nice on the surface - you get a voucher to eat at the attached Bob Evans. However, the choices are very skimpy. A bowl of fruit OR two medium sized pancakes OR oatmeal. The choice with the most variety was one egg, two strips of bacon and toast. It was adequate, but I left hungry (and I'm not a big person). Sure you could order off the real menu, but the $3.50 credit was a bit skimpy (FWIW, I have eaten at hotels that offer restaurant credits before and most times I have been able to get a fairly traditional breakfast plate or at least $5 in credit).

I might actually return to this hotel. For the price and location it was helpful. BUT, I wouldn't ever try to claim this was a "nice" hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank IA-CS-guy
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm sorry to hear that your experience fell short of your expectations. It is very disturbing to hear my staff was not only smoking on the property but, in a room as well. This issue was addressed immediately and I sincerely apologize that this occurred. We are in the process of having our floors in rooms repaired and sealed. I am hoping you do decide to give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Red Roof Inn today is completely different than 10+ yrs ago. Nice rooms with basic amenities. The beds had so many pillows....so many that I had brought my own and forgot it in the mix. Sadly, NO one called to tell me. Those types of courtesies are long gone. Had a outdoor patio with bonfire. Great addition!

Stayed: August 2017
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay at our Red Roof Plus in Ann Arbor. I'm happy to hear you liked our outdoor patio area with the fire pit and our nice rooms. Please accept my sincerest apologies for my staff not contacting you and letting you know we had found your pillow you left behind. I will be sharing this review with my staff so this does not happen in the future. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Rd Roof Plus+ Ann Arbor University North

Reviewed 25 July 2017

When I was looking at the hotels in the Northeast Ann Arbor area, I noticed that the Red Roof Inn was wayyyyy cheaper than all the rest. Since we used to live in this neighborhood and eat at the attached Big Boy, I thought, why not save a few bucks, we're not going to be hanging out all day in the room anyway. I splurged a few extra dollars for the "premium 2 full beds" room, which included granola bars and popcorn.

What you should know:
1 - This is a renovated motel. There are no elevators. You should know this in case you have a heavy suitcase and wimpy arms. Ask for a ground-floor room if need be.

2 - The room was dark. Like, dim lightbulbs and then a janky florescent light in the bathroom.

3- The bathroom was small. The kind of small where your leg brushes up against the toilet when you get out of the shower.

4 - I guess the room was clean, but I still didn't feel comfortable walking barefoot in it. It also smelled like Febreze.

5- They have different levels of room cleaning. One level of room cleaning was they just change your towels and I think they're also supposed to fix your bed but they didn't do it for one of the days.

6- The complimentary breakfast is at the Big Boy next door. You can choose off the Red Roof Menu, if not, it's $3.50 per person taken off your bill. Even though it's complimentary, you should still tip the server (they are really nice) so bring cash.

7-There's a Plum Market and a CVS next door.

So there you have it. It's good for a basic stay, it's no-frills. I didn't particularly enjoy hanging out in the room, but you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: There's no elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Jeff H, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Thank you for writing your review about your stay here in Ann Arbor. Feedback from our guests is always welcome. I'm sorry we were unable to exceed your expectations. Your feedback is what helps us strive to improve and enhance the items you noted in your review and become a better hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

We recently stayed here overnight to break up a trip to northern Michigan. The check-in was fast and friendly. The room was clean with nice amenities - comfortable bed, desk, TV, microwave. There is a firepit outside that we stopped by just before we went to bed. It was a very comfortable with pillows on the benches and a nice way to have a quick chat with other guests. Even though the hotel is located right off the highway, the room was very quiet. There is a restaurant connected to the hotel but we were late check-in, early check-out so we didn't not utilize. There is also a market and CVS within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Jeff H, Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Red Roof Inn Plus+ in Ann Arbor. I love to hear how our guests are able to enjoy the fire pit and possibly meet new people. I hope your trip up to northern Michigan was great and hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor.

Red Roof Inn Plus+ Ann Arbor University North