“Solid Motel off the Beaten Path”

Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Stayed here for one night during a conference in Ann Arbor at UMichigan. The building itself is set far back off the street, so finding it is a bit of a challenge for first time visitors. (It's behind the Courtyard and beside the Extended Stay America.)
The hotel seems to have been recently remodeled and everything works just fine--including a great shower with lots of pressure. The separate sink outside the bathroom is also convenient for two people sharing a room to get ready in the morning.
One small issue was the fact that freight trains go by next to the hotel early in the morning--at a little after 7am on the day I was there. I was awake so it was not a great issue, but might be for those who wish to sleep in. The LOWER your room number the closer you are to the tracks (01 is closest and 19+ is furthest away from the tracks)
The staff kept the breakfast nook filled up with food in the morning, though the seating area seemed a bit small for the number of rooms.
Special thanks to Colleen at the front desk who was amazingly helpful and let me have a late check-out to let me fight off a migraine...Thanks Colleen!

Room Tip: The higher your room number (ending in 19 or higher), the further you are from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2017

Dear NYUCanadian,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. Our property was recently renovated offering fresh, updated guestrooms, and public space.
Furthermore, Fairfield Inn Brand has rolled out new breakfast program which delivers more healthy choices, greater variety throughout the stay. Its great to hear that Colleen was able to accommodate a late check-out request. We will relay the message to Colleen. Once again, thank you for the feedback, and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

First time here. Adequate parking in front and on the side of the building. Very friendly and professional staff. Very. Hotel is quiet and modern. Rooms have microwaves and medium sized refrigerators. Breakfast was well presented and well serviced. Connor and the other staff are to be commended.

Room Tip: Higher floor and facing the north.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2017

Dear CobaltConnection,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Furthermore, thank you for recognizing our staff for their effort, and top notch service they provided during your stay. We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

This hotel was nice and clean and you can't beat the price. There were plenty of other hotels in the area that are much more expensive. All I needed was a place to lay down for the night. Nothing fancy. The ride from Detroit Metro Airport was about 40 mins. Arrived after midnight and checked out 7am the next morning. The complimentary breakfast was very convenient. Hotel seemed centrally located as it only took 5 mins to get to the office.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Moses L
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Dear Moses L,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. We are glad to
hear you enjoyed your quick stay with us. Furthermore, I am thrilled to hear you received great value for what you paid. Our new breakfast program offers more variety and selection to get your day started. We have received great compliments from our guests about our new breakfast program. Once again, thank you for the feedback, and We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

Stayed here with a baby a couple days before Christmas. Fit pack n play next to bed with no problem, used fridge for food, very convenient! The sink is in the room, outside the bathroom, so you can still use it if someone is in the shower/bathroom. Free cookies, lemon water, tea, and coffee in the lobby all day, much appreciated! Staff was friendly and welcoming. Free breakfast was ok--free breakfasts are never that splendid, but I would rate theirs above average. Wish maybe there would have been a firmer pillow but at least there were plenty of pillows. All in all, a great value for the price.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2016

Dear Abwolverine,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and all the amenities that we offer for our guests. Also, we appreciate you recognizing our staff on their friendliness. Thank you for staying with us, and have a happy holiday season!

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

This hotel passes my #1 criteria which is cleanliness. Room/bed was clean. Two things bothered me though. Very limited cable lineup and the power would go off of the TV randomly. It's great when there is a small refrigerator in the room but this one was so loud when it went on I had to unplug it to sleep.

Stayed: November 2016
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2016

Dear ObserverGuy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are glad to hear you found our hotel be clean as cleanliness of the property is one of our top priority. I apologize about the few mishaps during your stay, and will ensure these items get corrected. Thank you again for the review, and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 4 November 2016 via mobile

I booked this hotel because I need a king size bed and they were the only reasonable hotels with a king bed on the night I needed.

I checked in to room 209. I noticed a smell in the lobby that wasn't good at all. This was the first sign to turn around and walk out. But I figured maybe somehow it would be okay.

I got to the room and it smell like someone had smoked atleast 3 cartons of cigarettes in it.

I grabbed my bags and went back downstairs. By this time it was 5pm and there was a line of people. I was so upset I got in my car and booked a room at Townplace suites nearby.

I called and cancelled the room but was still charged the entire $148.

If it wasn't for the fact that I get pretty good deals with Marroitt, after this experience I would never stay in another one!
I've had better rooms at Red Roof Inn!!

The front desk staff were very nice when I checked in.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2016

Dear Shantay M,

We appreciate you taking the time share your recent stay experience with us. I am sorry to hear your stay with us was not a pleasant one. It is our priority to deliver clean & fresh room for our guests, and unfortunately we failed to deliver during your stay. I will ensure this was an isolated incident & will share your feedback with my team. At your earliest convenience, please give me a call so that we can take care of you for the inconvenience.

Reviewed 25 October 2016

First, I must thank the manager for readying a room for us after arriving on the red-eye flight from LA early in the morning. Most appreciated. Marriott, like others, hike the rates up when there is demand and being Homecoming week, there was demand. Rates were not typical for a Fairfield Inn ( over $ 300/ night ) The room was clean, bed comfortable, staff friendly but I would disagree with a previous reviewer that the hotel is close to campus with plenty of places to eat . I would add if you had a car the latter would be true. The hotel is few miles from the U of M athletic complex and we ubered it which was fine but hotel is not within walking distance to campus or many restaurants. Convenient location but not walking close to Campus.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
chai j, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Dear Eugene C,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are glad to hear our staff was able to accommodate early check in, and furthermore you had a pleasant stay with us. Our property is conveniently located to U of M campus, Michigan stadium, and great dining options nearby.