“No frills, well priced, works well for solo/business travelers”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Stayed here for a week and had no real issues with the staff and facility. Rooms were clean as far as I'm concern. Furnitures may not be brand new but they are not exactly worn out either. Sheets were clean, and the bed was firm to my preference. The bathroom and overall room lighting could be a bit better, but florescent bulbs for extended stays are to be expected. Did not use the kitchen extensively but all appliances and dishes were in working order along with being clean. Large fridge is great for those that really need to stock up with items, two major grocery stores within easy driving distance. The fridge can get a bit noisy at night as it is a bit close to the bed for my liking (enclosed/separated by a wall) but it certainly doesn't reduce the noise completely. The noise issue will depends on how anal you are about such things. Worse case, you can always just turn the temp setting down so the fridge/motor runs less to cool.

Staffs were friendly. Noticed one helped someone jumping a car. On the flip side, also noticed staff allowing pets probably larger than allowed to be in hotel (definitely not a service dog), but as long as they clean these room properly, I have no real qualms with it.

Again, the hotel works great if you need to stay for a long time and save on cash, as the rates becomes very reasonable in 5+ day ranges. House keeping is once per week for weekly stay, if you require more you can request it at the front desk for a very small fee ($2 or so?). Wi-Fi cost $5 per stay and was decently fast: 150-300kbps downstream and about equivalent for up, latency was iffy but thats expected. Apparently you can pay for even more bandwidth/speed but I didn't give it a try (up to 3mbps for $10 I believe).

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 September 2010

I got this hotel through a priceline bid and was surprised at the quality of the hotel and the great and attentive staff, especially for the price I paid. The room was spacious and clean, we used the stove, utensils and refrigerator to save money. We arrived late after a football game and used a telephone to call the staff, she was nice and even gave us additional pillows upon request. They also assist us receive a fax for no additional charge or hassle. The location was near the major highways but not to close to be noisy. There was a mall near by, within walking distance. Our stay was very enjoyable, but sorry ghost busters no sign of ghost. We are looking forward to staying there again and have recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank alcarterjr
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed at this motel while attending the Nascar race at MIS.This place more than meets our needs as well as being close to resturants or what ever your needs may be. The only minor downside is the major highway near by which can be a nuisance but wearing earplugs solved that problem. I always wear earplugs at any motel we stay at because there are those inconsiderate people who insist on being noisy on their way to their rooms.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Great Hotel and staff. Great price, location, clean Would use Extended Stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My wife purchased a weekend surprise for me to stay in Ann Arbor and attend the Michigan International Speedway. The package included a stay at this hotel. Upon arrival we found the staff to be very friendly but that is where this hotels ability to impress stops. My wife made a reservation for a non-smoking room and they booked us into a smoking room. The staff member apologized and said she could change our room on Monday but was booked full for the evening. Upon entering the room it was older and not kept in very good repair. The bed was hard and the box spring was ripped with cardboard put over the hole to keep the mattress from falling through. The refrigerator had mold growing in the freezer which was a little strange. We never asked to change rooms because we were only using the room to crash for the race and were scared to ask to change in case it was worse than what we already had for accomodations. The tub was slow to drain and the maid service was $5.00 to have them come each day. I understand this is an extended stay hotel but extended stay should not mean cheap and unkept. I would avoid this hotel if possible.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tucks907
manager0670, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2009

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Detroit - Ann Arbor. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

In regard to your comments on our housekeeping policy, you are correct that as an extended stay accommodation, we let our guests choose the level of service they require. Often times guests that are staying several weeks or even longer don't want to pay for daily housekeeping. Therefore, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page or contact our hotel directly). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future

Reviewed 18 June 2009

I found this motel on the internet and took a chance booking a room. I was traveling to the area to take an exam for my work. It was so close to the testing center that I could have walked so I was real pleased about that. Plus it was right in the same circle as the mall. Can't get any better than that. The staff at the motel was very friendly and helpful to me also. When we walked into our room we were amazed at all the amenities that we had and the room was very clean. The price for what we got was so reasonable. It was pretty quiet there too considering that it is close to 94. I would absolutely recommend this motel to anyone who is going to need a room in Ann Arbor. They get 5 stars from us!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2009

This hotel is haunted on 1st floor. I would not recommend staying here. Staff tries to be nice but is difficult, rooms are shabby & run down, guests are seedy, internet is intermittent, had billing problems, & the place is over run with malevolent ghosts. If you are psychically sensitive in any way you will not be able to sleep at night if you stay at this hotel. I saw two spirits (ghosts) during my stay and it was quite unnerving seeing a male with a dark face with very evil eyes. Had to switch rooms & was so relived when I checked out & finally got away from the negative dark energy of the place. When I got to my next hotel... a huge spider crawled out of my bag (a parting present from the haunted hotel). If you have to stay at this hotel, stay on the 2nd floor which is less haunted than the first floor - stay away from Room 107. And bring a crucifix!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business