“LOVE IT!!!”
Review of Shari At the Willard Hillton - CLOSED

Shari At the Willard Hillton
Price range: US$10 - US$60
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Shari at the Willard Hillton is centrally located in Mid-Michigan, in one of Michigan's last known Ghost Towns. The "Willard Hillton", our building, was once known as the Beaver Hotel. It was built in the late 1800's, and housed not only the hotel, but the local jail, general store, and saloon. It was jokingly nicknamed "Willard Hillton" by townspeople 50 years ago, and has been known as such ever since. Today it is one of only three original buildings remaining in the town of Willard. Interestingly enough, the historic jail cell with its cave like walls and sand floor now houses our Wine at perfect cellaring conditions year round. Executive Chef and Owner Shari Rae Smith is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. She has transformed this Historic Saloon into a highly acclaimed Restaurant. With the ever ambitious yet creative spirit of the restaurant Shari and Executive Chef Stephen Litchey, a graduate of Johnson & Wales University, create new menus every two to three weeks. As a result we are continually expanding our wine program. Our establishment carries in excess of 110 wines at any given time, ranging in price from $28.00 to $275.00. This allows everyone exceptional wine in every price category. In addition, Shari offers Wine dinners no less than four times a year. The wines we showcase at these dinners are wines we want to familiarize our clientele with. We select five to six wines that we would like to feature for the upcoming menu pairing the wine with Shari's cuisine resulting in an evening of exceptional wine, fine food, and an enjoyable dining experience for a very reasonable price.
Reviewed March 15, 2016

I go to shari's 2-3 times a year, more if I can. This place is amazing! I've been attached to this restaurant since my first visit and have been telling friends and family about it ever since. The atmosphere is calming, the service is very friendly but not overly intrusive while your trying to enjoy your meal and the food is outstanding. The manager and staff bend over backwards to make your experience the best. They even special ordered an item for me, and cooked it to perfection so I could surprise my husband for his birthday! I would and so recommend this restaurant to anyone and everyone!

1  Thank Alex R

Reviewed February 9, 2016

We get to Shari 2-3 times a year. This visit was a impromptu family outing. We arrived shortly after they opened and seated us without a reservation. The menu has changed since we were last year with some new entrees. A little about Shari, don't come here if you are in a hurry. Savor the experience, adjust your attitude. Things move a lot slower so being in a hurry is not a good thing. We enjoyed several delicious appetizers ordered four or five different entrees among our group,

About the meal. The grouper was delicious as was the salmon. I ordered the beef tips and must say I've had better. They obviously came from multiple cuts. Some were tender and some were not. The desserts were middle of the road. Nothing special or nothing wrong. Overall I'm still suggesting you give them a try.

1  Thank drlooper
Reviewed January 10, 2016

I was very excited to take some friends to dinner with my husband for their Christmas gift to this restaurant. We have had nice dinners there before. This time I ordered risotto with lobster tail and shrimp which sounded great. Everyone else ordered petite filet with Boursin cheese stuffing. Dinners came and I looked at my dish. The waitress asked if everything was okay and I hesitated and then said no. When I looked at my dish there were two large shrimp and another thing smaller. I asked her where the lobster tail was because that's the way it was stated on the menu. She said the other piece was the lobster. It was literally smaller than the shrimp. I thought that was ridiculous so she said she would take it back and see what she could do. She came back and said they could add a couple more shrimp to it. This dish was $34 as compared to the 5 oz filet for $29. I said I would have the filet too medium. It came finally and was quite big but was mostly rare. We sent it back and it came back much smaller and still medium rare. I ate it and it was good. So then we needed more wine. We had ordered originally a bottle that was $46 and was great. So they didn't have anymore of that one she said and came back with a wine that was comparable We said ok. When I paid the bill it was $79 for that bottle which was quite a shock. If it is comparable, I expect that it's the same price or less not twice as expensive. Really!!! What a joke! Of course I paid. I called them when we got home and the manager said she agreed with me and when we came back in sometime she would see what she would do. I'm sure that was the last time we will go there. Too bad but we do have Cafe Zinc in town which is always consistently good. I would appreciate it if they credited my credit card with the difference of the wine!! That was a very expensive lesson.

2  Thank lenorecrawford
Reviewed August 11, 2015

The Shari famous salad is one of my favorites. The homemade soups are always good. I enjoy the fish dishes. We dined at Shari's this past weekend and enjoyed meat dishes for a change of pace. We had veal tenderloin and duck. Prepared the way the chef recommends-rare. their vegan food is always good for those that care about vegan.

I always laugh when I go there as the place is never really crowded but I know their wait staff is based on reservations. I never have reservations and am always seated. The greeter is always annoyed that we don't have reservations.

Reviewed July 24, 2015

We walked in and asked if we had a reservation. We didn't. The young man seating us then looked at the reservation book as if they weren't going to have any tables available. There was one table in there with a couple when we were seated.
We ordered shrimp for an appetizer. It was just okay....a little too bland for my tastes.
We told the young man that one of us had a nut allergy. Then a young girl brings us toast with hazelnut butter??? Hi, we just said there was a nut allergy but I guess that was to the young man that was serving us also. The staff didn't seem to be able to figure out who was actually serving us. We both ordered soup, filet mignon, and scallops which were all excellent. For dessert we ordered vanilla ice cream with peaches, peanuts, and almonds (those nuts are ok). As the young man went to set it down on the table, we double checked it was just peanuts and almonds. He takes it away and says oh, I'll have him make a new one. We again told him that those nuts were okay. He preceeded to take the dessert back and said that "he" meaning the chef wasn't sure what nuts were in the mix. So he then brought us one without the nuts. This was our second time here and both times the food was great but the service is terrible. It seems like the staff is untrained and have no idea what they were doing. We will probably give the place another shot. Hopefully the service will be better,

2  Thank bartender126