“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several times. We've never had a bad stay. The staff goes out of their way to make you comfortable.

Stayed September 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Our team stayed at this hotel for a high school dance meet a few weeks ago. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast with fresh cooked scrampled eggs and maple sausage was fantastic! Thanks for making us feel at home!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I made a reservation ahead of time as we knew Alexandria would be our first stop on a long road trip. We were lucky to get one of the last available rooms . . . it was a Saturday night. Many rooms were taken by wedding guests (reception hall next door to hotel), and, Vikings fans enroute to Mpls. We had a top floor room. The room was very large and luxurious. It had a connecting door to the next room (hate those) but in this case, we couldn't hear the people next door. We could hear one weird sound off and on . . . we surmised it might be an air vacuum created by the elevator, or, perhaps, sound from the distant diving board. Whatever the case, the noise stopped by 9 p.m. or so and it wasn't that loud. Breakfast was excellent and the breakfast lady was especially friendly! The hotel is about a block east of the main north/south route (hgwy 29) and we initially couldn't find it. My fault for thinking it was on 29. We pulled over into a parking lot and dug out the GPS . . .then we found the hotel easily as we were actually quite close to it! The hotel is not far off the interstate and there are restaurants (i.e. Perkins) in the area. Would stay there again! I like that there is parking on both sides of the hotel, so you can park your car where you can see it . . .important to me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank midwestnature
maloneymoni@yahoo.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

We were looking for a place to stay for one night while visiting family. This worked perfectly! My children are 11 and 15 and don't to share a bed any longer...I don't really want to pay for two hotel rooms to accommodate them, since we are just in town for 24 hours and not much of that time is spent in the hotel room. This hotel had a room with two queen beds and a pull out sofa sleeper for under $120. The free breakfast was pretty typical of Hamptons, the staff were very friendly. Comfortable beds. Clean room. Great value.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Suburban Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Just spent two nights here. Extremely comfortable and quiet hotel. It does not sit right on the freeway, like most of the newer Alexandria hotels - in fact it is kind of hidden away on South Broadway. Room, bed, and bath all excellent. Good free breakfast and newspaper. Very quiet in the rooms - no constant banging of doors or hallway conversations.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check your directions if staying here. The hotel is hidden behind a shopping center on South Broadw...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I had a three-night stay in Alexandria and almost made a huge mistake in not picking the Hampton Inn. This is one of the nicest, most-relaxing, best equiped and staffed hotels that I've ever stayed at with thee best free breakfast, by far, of any hotel that I've been in. I travel about 100 days a year so I don't say that lightly. It's a rare hotel that would exceed this stay's experience in my book.

I've been to Alexandria a million times but since it's only 2.5 hours from home I've never stayed there before. This time I had a two-day assignment in town and I needed a three-night stay there. I almost defaulted to one of my regular hotel chains but at the last minute I thought I'd try this Hampton Inn and I'm so happy that I did. I can NOT possibly recommend this hotel any higher than I do.

The people working here are unreal, they are so friendly and helpful. They really shine at the fabulous breakfast feast, keeping things fresh and freshly-stocked and clean. I was surprised at the amount, quality, and variety of food here, all included with the room price. Some La Quintas and Wingates have nice breakfasts that include some hot items, but this hotel breakfast was above any other that I've stayed in. Everything was brand name, not bargain basement warehouse store brands. Every one of the three mornings I was here they had some different variation on the hot items. Scrambled eggs, sausage of three different kinds, little omelets, a big heated container of great oatmeal with different toppings (nuts, raisons, brown sugar), hard-boiled eggs, fresh waffles, breads and muffins, cold cereal, yogurt and Activia yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. They also had a huge assortment of high-end teas which was nice to see, hot chocolate, and some of the best coffee that I've had in a hotel. I didn't feel a need to find a coffee place with coffee this good. It's rare to have a "bold" roast in a hotel but it was great. I know that I'm making too much of the breakfast, but it was such a luxury to have that feast included in the room price. I'm not used to that in the level of hotel that I usually stay in. The only breakfast "buffet" that I'd put above this one was at Inn on Biltmore but that came with a $450+ room price!

The indoor heated pool was huge and the hot tub looked great as well, but unfortunately I wasn't able to use either of them. What a shame, they were perfectly clean and organized and as well kept as everything else here was. The exercise room was big and well-equipped as was the business center. Every morning there is a copy of USA Today hanging on your door handle which was nice. The room itself was great, the bed was as nice as I've ever experienced. There was a fridge and microwave which were super handy and the nice, flatscreen TV had a million cable channels which is always nice because I end up working in my room often when I'm on the road. The heating/ac unit had a wall-mounted control which is usually only found on higher priced hotels and worked great. The free wireless internet service worked flawlessly as well.

The bathroom was luxurious compared to what I'm used to in other, lesser, hotels. The vanity was a piece of art and was a nice wooden, legged cabinet with a great, stylish faucet that matched the shower handle. The tile was excellent quality and the way it was laid out was as nice as what you'd expect at your own home. They actually lined up the grout lines on the baseboard and the floor tile, what a concept! A LOT of other hotels could care less about details like that but it's what makes this Hampton Inn stand out from the others. Whomever the crew of folks was that built this hotel really cared about the final result. The wall tile was measured out and centered which again, doesn't really matter functionally, but asthetically it's priceless because it's one of those details that you notice and file away in the back of your mind as quality work and it makes the rest of your experience seem like top quality as well. Very well done and money very well spent. The tub was great with a surface that was slip-resistant but not harsh like some can be, and even worse, when some have anti-slip tape on them. This one was great and the Moen showerhead was excellent with different settings. The towels were super thick and smelled clean and fresh which was nice because a lot of other hotel towels don't smell fresh at all. You could just tell that everything was clean when you walked in the door and then you didn't have to worry about finding something later, you could just put that out of your mind and enjoy your stay knowing that it was cleaned by the best team in the area. There was separate shampoo and conditioner and hand lotion and a big, filled basket of coffee and tea for the room coffee maker. There was also a hair dryer.

I know that I'm forgetting some more praise that should be heaped upon this fine hotel and the people that work here. I can't say enough about the friendly folks here and the great experience I had at this rock-solid, quiet, luxurious, reasonably-priced hotel! I can't imagine that anyone but the most unreasonably picky person who has lived a guilded life staying in nothing but Four Seasons and Trump hotels could find anything wrong with the Hampton Inn in Alexandria, MN. Very, very well done, Hampton team!

Room Tip: I was on the top floor but this hotel seemed so solidly built that I can't imagine there's a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hamptoninnalexandria, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear Scott, Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your wonderful experience. We take great pride in presenting a clean & friendly hotel each and every day. What an honor it is to be compared to other reputable hotels. I will pass on your wonderful comments on to my staff and encourage them to maintain the level of quality you experienced. Again, thank for choosing us and we look forward to your next visit.
melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is our second stay at The Hampton Inn & Suites in Alexandria. This is a modern, comfortable and well maintained hotel. It has everything you could need. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
2.1 km away
23.8 km away
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood
36.7 km away
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Sauk Centre

Been to Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria? Share your experiences!