“Great place for budget travellers”
Review of Palm Garden Lodge

Palm Garden Lodge
Ranked #107 of 292 Speciality Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed 14 December 2015

I went to Siem Reap with my brother to visit Angkor and stayed here for 2 days from 11th-13th December 2015 . We booked a twin bed room from Agoda without AC for only 8$ /night . Before went there I called Agoda customer care and they made sure sure someone from hotel will be there at airport to pick us up . But we were not sure .

To our pleasant surprise we found our friend from hotel present outside the airport with his tuktuk.
Journey from airport to hotel took exactly 20 minutes .

We reached there at 9 A.M in the morning . We did not know that check-in time is 12 P.M as It was mentioned in all website that check-in started from 8 A.M . So our room was not ready .
But hotel stuff were so co-operative that they gave us a room for 1 hour to freshen up and kept our luggage in their safely locker as we went out for Angkor visit . They arranged the same driver who picked us from airport for the mini circuit tour for 12$. He was very friendly and guided us to every temple . Angkor is so huge that it's almost impossible to understand and cover the ruins if the driver is not co-operative . I think we were blessed to find such a driver cum guide.

When we returned at 4 P.M , we found that room was allocated to us .

Room is specious with 2 large beds , attached bath ( Geyser did not work) and wardrobes . This is not a luxury room . But should be more than enough for any budget traveller or backpackers . There is no view from the room and there can be mosquitos ( we find mosquito nets at windows) .

Around 5 P.M the room became unbearably hot and we asked to change to an AC room . They informed that there is already AC in our room and it can be activated with 7$/night. We grabbed the offer and AC made the room cool in 15 minutes .

At night we walked to night market and Pub street which took around 15 minutes from the lodge .

Food :-
Next day at breakfast we were served bread-butter and omelet . This is standard menu everyday . Apart from that there is free tea and coffee available 24 hours at the garden in front of lodge .

Wifi :-

Free Wifi is promptly provided . Wifi speed was quite good .

After 1st days's tour and extreme heat we were very tired,cramped and at 2nd day we asked if any tour is available where there is more tuktuk ride and less walking :) . Tuktuk ride was very enjoyable and we were searching for any such tour.

They suggested one such tour where we can go to a temple 37 Km from Siem reap in 25$. We took the offer and went to that temple . While returning back to our surprise our driver told that he will start the Grand circuit tour as it was included on that 25$. He himself encouraged us to visit 3 more temples in grand circuit and we were not disappointed by his choice .

Last day at morning he again dropped us at airport for 5$ .

Overall , the experience was excellent . Hotel stuffs were friendly and effective beyond imagination ( I am from India and I don't expect anything good from any hotel in my own country) and I found it too cheap to be true .

If I need to list drawbacks ,
1. Light in the room is too dim. It should be more brighter .
2. There should be soap in the bathroom .

I will recommend it to anyone who wants a decent stay at cheap price and don't travel with only intention to stay in a luxury hotel .

Room Tip: All rooms are in ground floor. Nothing special in any room.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ritwik B
There are newer reviews for Palm Garden Lodge

Reviewed 13 December 2015

Stayed for 2 nights in December 2015. On arrival they didn't have our reservation for a double room, they offered us a room at a different hotel run by the same owner that wasn't far away. We declined aND stayed in a 4 person dorm room instead (it was a long travel day and we wanted to sleep!)

Pros: free breakfast - eggs (scrambeled,fried or omlette) with toast, great for saving money. Free coffee and tea all day. Nice sitting area with fans. Free bottled water on arrival

Cons: room was VERY hot with the fan. The lost reservation wasn't accounted for in any way. We tried to extend and ask for a double room for two days in advance (asked several times) aND no one spoke enough English to help us. We kept being told to wait for the manager who never came.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

I stayed at Palm Garden Lodge for one week while volunteering in Cambodia. The staff were lovely. The breakfast was great. The Lodge is located just outside the bustling centre, but within walking distance of everything you need in Siem Reap. I would most definitely stay again!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2015

I stayed here for a week, and thought it was great. It is in a good location, as it is only a 10-15 min walk from the action (depending how quick you walk), so it a really quiet. The staff are also very really helpful, and keen to please. I think the main selling point for this place is the breakfast and the communal area, where most people socialise and exchange travel tips.

Room Tip: If you are happy with a fan instead of air-con, the rooms in the main building are the best.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2015

We intended to spend a couple of days here but we extended our trip and were very happy with the accommodation. The staff are very helpful, kind and friendly. There is a lovely atmosphere, the rooms are kept very clean and the breakfast included makes palm garden lodge very good value for money. If you are looking for a basic room and a warm welcome then this is an excellent choice. Once we left the hotel I realised that I had left behind a valued piece of jewellery. I was very worried that it was lost for good and decided to contact Palm lodge by email. They got back to me immediately and were very considerate and professional. They told me not to worry and that they would look for the necklace. Long story short, they found it and posted it back home for me. They paid for the postage and would not accept my offer to reimburse them. Very decent of them. I would recommend this hotel to my travelling friends and family. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2015

Three of us stayed there in September for three nights and two days. they had a free flow of tea and coffee. the room rate comes with a breakfast of eggs (any style) and toast bread with jam and butter in the morning. the staff were nice and polite, albeit get nervous if you start asking them more questions. the lady overseeing the management can converse well and is informative. our room was in the back side of their building and a nice deal for non-a/c fan only room. i have already recommended our friends visiting Siem Reap to stay there. the room downstairs can be damp so better to ask for the upstairs rooms.
it is in the walking distance to Angkor night bazaar, and 2 minutes walk to the lane leading to Little Cafe (another good cafe in Siem Reap if you want to eat the continental dishes and drinks). from here you can practically walk to all of the touristy hangouts. don't pay 5$ for the tuktuk to take you there from this guest house.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms are more airy!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2015

I was met at the airport by Mr Kale the tuk tuk driver but when I got to the hotel they had no room for me despite my advance booking. However they took me to a guest house across the road where I stayed for 1 night then checked into Palm Garden the next day. The room was basic but clean and all the staff were helpful & friendly. Sometimes had to remind them to clean the room but that's common in Asia. Mr Kale took me for the Angkor Wat tour, to the Landmine museum & many trips into Pub St. He was very patient,stopping to allow me to take photos. I stayed another 3 nights. I booked my night bus there to Sihanoukville & it didn't seem to be the VIP bus promised. ( no toilet, but several stops). At 2am we were woken to change to another bus & transfer our luggage which was not so good. On balance I would stay there again but book my own bus.

Room Tip: Ask to view the room first as quality varies
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo