“Nice hotel but the owner needs help!!!”

Angkor Sayana Hotel & Spa
Ranked #120 of 360 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This hotel is beautiful on the outside and has a wonderful staff. Now for some of the problems we encountered. 1- I stayed at a lot of hotels while in Asia and this hotel had such a small tv in the room I could barely watch it. 2- Amenities in the bathroom were something they shouldn't have even left in the bathroom. 3- I didn't have a river view room and the noise from the houses and other businesses that my window viewed was VERY noisy and kept me up at night. 4- The owner of the hotel who we had a confrontation with was very rude and didn't even want to hear our side of the story before yelling to his staff to call the police. If he would have just listened to what we had to say it more than likely would have all worked out. I own a few small businesses here in the states and the customer always comes first as the last thing I want is a bad review over something so small. It is a nice hotel with a wonderful staff but if you encounter the owner....good luck!!!! I stayed at this hotel with SeaducedByTheSea who also left a review.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank dqfresh

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed at this wonderful hotel for just over a week. The staff are friendly and attentive and all the amenities are great. Rooms were comfortable and quite and the location is superb as you are close to the main area of town with all its shops and restaurants.
The Breakfast was probably not as varied as in some hotels I have stayed at but still had almost everything you could want. This is a new Hotel and the decor is very nice. Wifi was good and seemed to be available in most parts of the hotel.
The only issue I had with the hotel was to do with the pillows on the bed. They were too large and bulky for me to sleep on but this is just a trivial matter at best.

All in all A very nice and comfortable hotel staffed by some truly wonderful people.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Not a 4-Star hotel (maybe a 2.5 at best). Here is why: (1) Pillows are too firm and too large for sleeping. (2) TV is too small and far from the bed to see (should be a computer monitor). (3) Only 1 trash can in the room and need to walk to the bathroom every time. (4) All towels are folded into cute animals and left on the bed. Nice try, but I prefer my towels less handled and in the bathroom where they belong. (5) No pen and paper in the room. (6) The cheapest amenities of any hotel I've stayed in throughout Asia. (6) Now the bizarre... We encounter a confrontation after dinner when we brought our girlfriends back to the hotel and the night staff tried to charge us for bringing another person to our room. We refused to pay since we did prepay for a double-occupancy and asked the manager to discuss the issue in the morning. Our girlfriends were embarrassed as were I! The Owner came to see us in the morning and was extremely rude and confrontational. We never got to enjoy our prepaid breakfast and the situation was twisted out of proportion and the owner called the police when I insisted and showed the receipt for my 2-person per room charge that was paid in advance. All this transpired over a $10.00 fee! We all left in disgust and vowed to never return, but not before leaving our honest reviews in all travel publications in SE Asia. The owner is obviously inexperienced and not suited for customer relations.

Room Tip: Watch the double-occupancy fee and don't spend for the upgrade as the rooms are very similar and...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank SeaducedByTheSea
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Angkor Sayana is a beautiful new building only being opened three months ago. It is well located across the bridge from the main centre of Siem Reap and walking distance to Pub Street, shops and markets.
The building itself is beautiful with timberwork throughout with lots of small details in the decor. The lobby is imposing with adequate lounges, two computer terminals and bar all opening into the restaurant on the corner. Through the lobby and bar access is gained to the salt water pool. It is not much bigger than a plunge pool but more than welcome after a typically hot Angkor day visiting the ruins.
The rooms are well appointed and obviously everyting is new and in good working order. Plenty of English language channels on the TV, however the wifi connection was a problem throughout our stay, the only time in a month in Vietnam and Cambodia. We met the Australian owner at one stage who bought in the IT person to fix the problem with no better result. However there are terminals in the lobby to check emails etc.
The real asset to this hotel is the staff. They are wonderful and will do anything for you. English is not great in all cases, I did manage to get deep fried ice cream when asking for a bucket of ice! But that aside they are great. The owner told us that it is policy that the 10% service charge goes directly to the staff, something that is not common in Cambodia, it is normally raked off by the hotel. Yes they need some further training but with the poitive attitude of the staff and management I'm sure it will work.
Breakfast was good, big range of food, hot coffee for a change and the food was also kept hot, very unusual through our travels so far.
All in all a very pleasant stay in a beautiful building with exceptional staff.

Room Tip: A river room would be good for the view, but could be noisy
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank TasMissy
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Pros - Location is good , within 10 mins walk to Pub street or US$1 to 2 by tut tuk . Staff is very courteous , respectful and alway ready to help . On one of cycling trip back to the hotel , we were offered wet / dry towels at the door step as all our guys are soak and wet from the sudden thunderstorm . We enjoyed the breakfast which consist of both local and western selection . There are lot of wood craving , which is very Cambodian but feel rather uneasy for the forest . Good mixed of TV channels . Cons - the swimming pool location which is next to the entrance . The height of the pillows are higher than usual , anyway the staff had it replaced immediatley athough they promised to get it fixed on the following day as there are not much stock .Overall I would still rate this hotel as excellent based on the 4 star / price . We had a great time and will come again if we are in Siem Reap .

Room Tip: Choose a river view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank woosc
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room has balcony at the backyard over view to the villages (they also have room view to the river). The location is very good a long the siem reap river, just for 10 minutes by walking to pub street. Internet was very fast ;-) and wifi in the room free of charge.

Room Tip: Should book the room with River View
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank EurasieTravelAsia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Angkor Sayana recently, and I have to say it was a wonderful stay. The hotel itself is very beautiful - a lot of wood carvings everywhere, and the decor is very Cambodian. And the room overlooked the river with its own little balcony. It was wonderful!

The breakfasts were fabulous - fresh fruit and eggs made to order, and also a local breakfast soup which was delicious. We had a meal in the restaurant too and it was great cooking. Local cuisine, but a good selection of western foods on the menu too.

I had several spas and massages. The massage ladies were incredible. Best massages I've ever had! And I was surprised at how cheap they were. Same kind of massage anywhere else would cost five times as much.

The staff were great - smiles all the time, and nothing was too much trouble for them. All up it was a wonderful stay, and it made our time in Siem Reap really memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple