All reviews tuk tuk non slip polished concrete pub street rooms are huge just returned from a night stay per kg pool access mins from the airport very clean hotel relaxing stay hotel manager separate shower nice swimming pool free breakfast visiting angkor wat khmer massage
Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed staying here. Considering how cheap it was, this was a great value hotel. The staff were so helpful and polite. The room was very spacious. It's a small resort with only 30ish rooms which meant it was quiet, which suited us.

The only thing is that it's 5-10mins tuk tuk ride from town centre, which is more than other hotels and we had to wait sometimes to get a tuk tuk from the hotel

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Omnot P, Manager at Watana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2018

Dear John B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, your comments are very much valued. We appreciate your comments regarding our customer service and ongoing upgrades.

Our staff are trained to provide only the best in customer service, and we are pleased that you found value and hospitality during your stay.

Thank you for choosing your accommodation with our Resort during your trip in Siem Reap.

Reviewed February 27, 2018

To me this hotel is more for families and large groups as opposed to singe travellers or couples. It is a substantial distance from town comparative to so many more hotels, but it is also in a more remote location than other areas. I had a motorbike so it wasn't so grievous, and i am partial to staying fairly central usually, so i am writing in that basis. The room was really really good excepting the air conditioning was inadequate. The room was huge and the ac struggled to keep it cool. The pool area was really good and overall it is a pretty good hotel. Staff were good and service was excellent. I didnt try the breakfast or use other facilities. Outside of location and aircon it was very very good.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo

Dear Bruttiboy,

Reviewed January 17, 2018 via mobile

If I could I would have given no rating. Not even 1/5. Management showed no flexibility and concern towards customers requests. Be careful before you make any payments in advance cause the Resort’s policies are very stringent and I wouldn’t advice this place. Instead go for a resort in the downtown area ( Pub Street ), it will save you the time, stress and effort. They scam money in every possible way. We booked our temple tour , tourist and cab with them and this resulted in a scam of 200 plus $ from us. Even though the ambience of the place is good it dint matter as it left us disappointed and the start of our trip went bad. To top it all the breakfast sucked !!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Sumalika R,

Reviewed January 12, 2018

This hotel has a lot of potential for continuous growth if the staff were more friendlier. unfortunately this was a major let down for me especially after reading all the positive reviews I decided on this as it was a little oasis away from the busy town and I wasn't expecting a five star resort so if you're after something fancy this is not the place. I was hoping for the authenticity/culture of cambodia from the staff and environment hence my choosing of this resort.
It is tucked away on the outskirt dirt road of Siem Reap which is a 10 minute tuk tuk ride each way. If you're a walker like me it is a 20 minute walk which I did most of my time there and had no problem and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The walk on the last route back to the hotel is quiet dark as there is no street light, just lights from oncoming cars. The rooms are huge and that's where it stops, the air conditioning had to be left on all day and all night as the concrete floors and walls would build up condensation, I woke up one morning and the floor was watery! Obviously poorly built. When I complained to the morning guy at front desk he didn't understand me which was very frustrating.

The staff could do more with customer service training they are not the politest, in particularly two of the guys (not sure of name). While dining at their alfresco restaurant a guest on the table in front of me complained about a rat we saw race pass underneath the tables, the staff looked at us like we were mad! Like the rat was their pet and mumbled something in their language with a smirk on their face like they were mocking us - disgusting! The buffet breakfast was disappointing and they were always running out of food even though it wasn't very busy. The hotel needs some form of pest control around their premises.

The tuk tuk ride into the city mentioned by other guests is $1 to and on collection $3. A destination in the city which I wanted to be dropped off to literally 2-3 minute walk from Pub Street the lad at reception said it was $3 because it was further away....make no sense at all when it was still in city zone, so I requested to be dropped off at Pub Street and walked the extra ONE block to where I wanted to go. You also can get a tuk tuk back to the hotel for $1 with another tuk tuk (not of hotel) - just make sure you set the price before you get in and know where you're going, which I did quite a few times and had no problem being a solo female traveller.

My tours which was organised by Thae (something along those pronunciations) "Hotel Manager he quoted" - Charged me $18+27 which he then discounted for the price of $35 for a day trip to see Ankor Wat and Banteyasrei, now this was only for the tuk tuk which I found quite expensive considering the tuk tuk man didn't know a drop of english so we didn't speak all day because he wasn't able to answer my questions, plus no cambodian lunch was included in the price just two mesley bottled waters that I could of bought in town for 20c. The ticket to see both the Temple sites for one day was $37 which I expected so my day trip costed around $80 which included the purchase of my own lunch. When I went to town I saw that a car to both sites I visited costed $20 + $37 for the temples + lunch included.
My second tour was the floating village with sunrise again charged a GRANT tour full day price at $20 for tuk tuk, which I was collected at 2pm (so not a full day) + had to buy a ticket to enter this floating area which was another $25 - the tuk tuk man from the hotel who drove me try to say it was $35 entrance! when I told him the hotel mentioned it was $25 he then just shook his head and smiled, he tried to rip me off to pocket some of it unbelievable! The sunrise was beautiful, but spending $55 in total not bloody worth the money. I've seen a sunrise in Turkey for $35 which included a dinner! Never in all the countries I have travelled to where I pay over $50 they don't provide some form of culture snack/lunch/dinner experience and I didnt expect this considering Cambodia is the least economically developed. So I suggest you look around in town as they have cheaper prices with insurance of course.

The washing for 2kgs they charged me $4 when again other guests mentioned it was $2 - money is not a problem to me but when you get charge different prices from other guests and what is noted on their hotel forms then it becomes an issue. I'm happy to pay the price but it needs to be clear what guests are paying for and set prizes for guests. This is where I stopped supporting the tuk tuk guys and buying from the hotel.
Would I stay at this hotel again - No nor would I suggest it to any of family and friends traveling to Siem Reap for the first time. The only good thing about this hotel is the size of the room and pool. Note; dollars quoted in USD.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Dear Bronzey101,

Reviewed January 9, 2018

Room: nothing to compare with the pictures, far from reality. The room was big and very spartiate. Curtains were full of dust, towels with many strains, all in all, it did not feel that clean. However, the beds were very comfy, the only good thing of the stay….

Super loud noise: Located near the circus, it is also very loud due to some local homes nearby, celebrating birthday or other ceremonies. If you want to go early to visit Angkor Wat for sunrise, forget about sleeping early, it will be impossible with the noise from outside. And we understate the word “impossible”. Like a discotheque and a very loud boom boom, the doors of the rooms moving from the boom boom! No compensation nor accommodating gesture was offered, no one seemed to really care or understand the issue (apart from one guest agent who tried to stay empathic as best as he could).

You also hear very clearly the noise from the rooms of your neighbours. Too bad, if you want to have a good sleep.

Pool: perhaps the only thing that some customers may enjoy. The pool is nice (not as nice as on the pictures), but far from being relaxing. All the rooms have the view of the pool. From 6:30am in the morning, you will hear young children of customers "singing” and waking you up. We stayed 5 nights, and apart from one morning we went at 4am to the temples, we have been woken up by some customers in the pool all the time.

Breakfast: very poor breakfast with limited options. Always the same limited choice… They always had every morning a lack of eggs or fruits, the only eatable dishes, and the staff was telling the suppliers from outside have to come to bring more… in 30 minutes or the next morning. Quite a joke!

Wifi: simply inexistant throughout the day. Perhaps working at the reception, but you will have to fight with the mosquitos. Inacceptable nowadays.

Staff: apart from the manager of the reception we saw two or three days, the staff was not friendly at all and we never felt welcomed as in Thailand or Vietnam. What a difference of service, the day and the night...

Special mention for the staff Pech at the reception: completely unfriendly, trying to cheat on you for little money with his tuk tuk drivers friends, either to go to the city or to visit the temples, even finding defects on other tuk tuk drivers so that we decide to go with his friends and he can get commissions. What such a little mind, stay away.

I cannot understand how this hotel can get great reviews overall, have the people who reviewed travelled in other similar places before in the area????

Strongly not recommend the Tanei Resort, that is completely overpriced what you receive (or not receive). The local owner should review his policy of welcoming guests in his so called "resort".

Room Tip: Stay away from this resort, other better options are available in Siem Reap
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family