“Wonderful vacation at Tara Angkor”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tara Angkor Hotel

Tara Angkor Hotel
Ranked #81 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Washington, DC
“Wonderful vacation at Tara Angkor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I recently stayed at the Tara Angkor. I was a bit hesitant after reading a few of the reviews about outdated decor but that feeling quickly disappeared as soon as I walked into the lobby of this fantastic hotel. The decor of the hotel is lovely - dark woods, minimalist design, with elegant finishes. I did not see anything outdated or that I would change during my visit!

The staff were so kind and thoughtful (e.g. helped me book my tuk tuk and tour guide for Angkor Wat and other temples with just a few hours notice). There is free wifi throughout the hotel. When I checked in I also got a coupon for a free 30min foot massage at the hotel spa (much needed after a day spent touring temples in the scorching sun), and a free drink at the hotel lounge.

The spa services were *amazing* - like any five star spa in the US but for much less (I also received a 20-25% discount on the services, which the staff notified me about after I checked in. Worth asking after when you are booking). I had the 90min aromatherapy massage, and two foot massages booked throughout my stay. With the discounts, the prices are still less expensive (less than $30 for 90 minute packages) than the best known spas of comparable quality in Siem Reap.

The best part of this hotel for me- as I was looking for a quiet solo get away - was the swimming pool and the delicious food at the pool restaurant and main hotel restaurant off the lobby. I am a vegetarian and the staff were very accommodating of my dietary preferences by adapting a number of menu options and creating new dishes that they thought I would enjoy (and I did!).

The hotel is about 3 km away (2 min tuk tuk ride, $2 each way) from the main downtown area (Pub Alley) which I appreciated as Pub Alley is just a standard mix of restaurants and bars that aren't so unique and weren't really what I wanted to spend my time exploring. I wanted a relaxing few days by the pool with good food and mango daiquiris and time to leisurely explore Angkor Wat, and that is exactly what I got.

The only downside was the thinness of the walls - you really can hear conversations in the next room or hallway (quite clearly), and one night it was hard to sleep as music was played loudly by some guests a few rooms over. The front desk quickly put a stop to that though, which I appreciated. The sound really only bothered me my first night and was not a problem the rest of my stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel for solo travelers, couples, families or groups of friends as I saw guests that fit all of these categories really enjoying themselves while I was there!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bitika_07
taraangkor, General Manager at Tara Angkor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Valued Client,

Warmest greetings from the Tara Angkor Hotel.

The Tara Team is truly pleased to learn that you have travelled safely and that your stay with us was a pleasant one.
We thank you for recommending us to your entourage and look forward to have the pleasure of having you among us once more in the future.

Tara Angkor Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

It was a very pleasent stay in Tara Angkor Hotel. Nice service, great athmosphire and good value for the money. Spa is magnificent and worth of using.
Higky recommended hotel to stay in Siem Reap.
Kimmo/Finland

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Warmest greetings from the Tara Angkor Hotel.

The Tara Team is trully pleased to learn that you have travelled safely and that your stay with us was a pleasant one.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I've stayed at the Tara Angkor on 2 occasions. It is a wonderful hotel to stay at while in Siem Reap. The staff is very accommodating, the breakfast is wonderful, and the rooms are clean. You can cool off in the pool and have a cold beer after a hot day touring the temples. I highly recommend the Tara Angkor Hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Client,

Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Checked into the hotel on a warm April evening. It was selected by our very affable guide Sophy Chhay not only for its proximity to the airport but also for its affordability. We were welcomed with cold towels, a pleasant lemongrass tea concoction, and the traditional warm Cambodian greeting. The lobby was very clean,and provided easy access to the hotel shop, restaurant and business center. Amenities were comparable to bigger hotels, though the internet service could use an upgrade.

What made our whole stay in Seam Reap truly interesting was our able and knowledgeable guide Sophy. From the drive to our hotel, he was already giving us a tour of the city, complete with historical tidbits mixed with natural humor. Dinner at a local restaurant was also his choice. The food was served quite fast, and we learned later that Sophy had a hand in the quickness of service.

All in all, we concluded that in every guided tour, the role of the guide is truly important. He is the one who can literally make your stay memorable or deplorable. We were fortunate to have him by our side. This is one man who loves his country and his job even more.

Room Tip: Always ask if it is a smoking/no smoking floor, depending on your reference. Lower rooms are easily...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I have stayed at the Tara Angkor in both December 2011 and February 2012. I was very pleased with hotel on both occasions. The rooms are clean and well tended to. The breakfast is huge and very good. The staff was always helpful. The pool and spa were nice and never to crowded. The Tara Angkor is great value for your money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Valued client,

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Tara Angkor Hotel is a great place to stay in Siem Reap. It is close to Angkor Archeological Park. The rooms are good and service is excellent.

They serve well spread breakfast overall ambience is very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Warmest Greetings from Tara Angkor Hotel
We were honored that you have chosen the Tara Angkor Hotel during your visit to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Angkor Wat. The Team hopes that this email finds you well and that you had a safe trip.
On behalf of the Tara Angkor Hotel Team it was our pleasure to welcome you at our hotel in Siem Reap. We like to thank you for taking the time to review , as we are constantly striving to improve our standards and exceed guest’s expectations we take guests’ comments very seriously. The team proudly notes that you were satisfied by our services.
The team would be more then happy to read your review and We would like to thank you again for having chosen to experience the Tara Angkor hotel and hope that this experience has been a memorable one.
We are looking forward to welcome you here again.
The Tara Angkor Hotel Team
Greenbrae, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I can't help but be overly concerned about hotel accommodations in other countries due to the lack of brand certainty that we enjoy in the US, but I strongly recommend the Tara Angkor Hotel. It has first class amenities and is well suited for a US traveler. We spent 3 nights there while visiting the Angkor Wat complex. The hotel has a killer breakfast with made to order omelets, breads, and so many selections of Asian foods. The hotel is located on the main street and close to the main shopping district and the Angkor Wat Museum.

Room Tip: Eat their breakfast and you will be able to spend hours at Angkor Wat without getting hungry.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Warmest Greetings from Tara Angkor Hotel
On behalf of the Tara Angkor Hotel Team it was our pleasure to welcome you at our hotel in Siem Reap. We like to thank you for taking the time to review us, as we are constantly striving to improve our standards and exceed guest’s expectations we take guests’ comments very seriously. The team proudly notes that you were satisfied by our services.
We are looking forward to welcome you here again.
The Tara Angkor Hotel Team