“Not that clean”
Review of Ibis Douala

Ibis Douala
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Douala
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This place was al right for the purpose of sleep. It was located in central Douala from what I remember. I remember our rooms were not that clean so we spent a few mins every night cleaning after the cleaning staff. I remember their pool was good. There is a lift in the hotel. It was cheaper than other hotels in the city. but I would advise against this hotel and to look at other options. I believe that the room sizes are good. Any ways the last time I stayed here was in 2009 so better to check at other reviews.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank youngSaudiTraveller

An Accor traveller
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Compared to the other hotels I stayed in Douala this was the best bang for the buck. For the price, you cannot beat the quality of the room. The bed was very comfortable, the rooms were very clean, there was free internet access and good tv reception. The breakfast in the morning left a little to be desired but it wasn't bad, just wished the variety and selection was larger. In all, Ibis Douala is my recommendation if you are visiting Douala. I utilized Trip Advisor and stayed at their number one rated hotel for Douala and what a mistake. Not sure who was writing reviews for those hotels but they were completely off. Stay here and you will not regret it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Wilfredo D
Bruno B, Directeur général at Ibis Douala, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Douala. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was staying 2 nights in Ibis in Douala. Room was like standard Ibis style bedroom which you can find all around the world. Restaurant and bar were lovely. Welcome and very warm. Breakfast excellent again like in other hotels Ibis cooked and continental buffet. I really liked swimming pool just next to restaurant. Staff were nice and everything was perfect. But the reason I did't give full rating is because air condition in the room. It gives me flue. And widows are locked (because of air condition). Outside very hot (and I like it:)) but inside cold. Not every one can mange it. But apart from this I really like this hotel. If GM keep checking this comments, I would like to say Well Done. And say hello to this nice girl which work during the breakfast. I use to work for Ibis in UK, and Ibis in Douala is more that you use to in UK. And people who complaining about room size no fridge in the room, not enough English channel?? Helloo?? First this is 2 stars hotel so don't expect miracle, second in Cameroon you can smoke in side the hotel, clubs, restaurants. French is the main language This is old French colony so of course most of the channels will be in French (I find 3 in English). Any way I didn't came there to sit and watch the moves. Just know a little bit place and stop criticize. For me it's a good hotel with 24h security. Definitely I will be back.

Room Tip: Choose top floor rooms. Definitely book breakfast too.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mauretania122
Bruno B, Directeur général at Ibis Douala, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Reviewed 26 December 2011

The staff is very friendly, professional and welcomes customers.

Room Tip: Rooms are comfortable and clean.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Josephine B
Bruno B, Directeur général at Ibis Douala, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Reviewed 18 December 2011

No CNN English News. No BBC English News. No France24 English News. You could watch only the Chinese News in English on 3 or 4 different channels (Why???). It felt like the hotel television had been colonized by China. You could watch any news you wanted to, as long as it was Chinese. The 15 minutes to resolve a problem was not true. After a few requests to sort out the TV channels I just gave up - so much for the 15 minute solutions! At one stage they even had the Chinese news playing in the hotel lobby with not one Chinese person in site. What madness!!! It is because of this I rate the hotel so low.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank marineeng
Bruno B, Directeur général at Ibis Douala, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Ibis Douala. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

On 25 October, one month before arriving at the Ibis Hotel Douala, I wrote to the hotel to express my concerns about some of the things I had read:

1. The hotel room is like a box.
2. There will be prostitutes at the hotel bar and in the hotel rooms making noises that can be heard by other guests.
3. The room would probably not have an individual air con and in the event that it did, it would not work effectively.
4. If my room is dirty, the staff will have no sense of urgency about correcting the problem.
5. There won’t be any fridges in the rooms.
6. There will be a lot of noise from the street.
7. No one will fetch me from the airport as has apparently happened with some guests.

The hotel replied that all of the things mentioned above were fiction and I was promised a non-smoking room next to the pool.

Here are my experiences from my first hour at the hotel:

1. There was a heavy smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby.
2. I showed e-mails between me and the hotel to one of the people on duty and he indicated he was aware of the contents of the communications. My room is nowhere near the pool. It is on the fifth floor. It is a non-smoking room but I smell smoke. I am not sure at the moment if this simply is the smell from the lobby that clung to me. The Ibis Hotel in Cotonou has much nicer rooms.
3. The hotel room is a lot like a box. It is adequate for one person for business only. A second person would keep walking into the wall each time they got out of the bed, that is how close the bed is to the one wall. The bathroom is just adequate but cramped. The cupboard looks tiny. I will need to see if what I can fit in there if I am stuck with this room for the rest of my stay.
4. It appears my room has individual air con but I could not get it to work or, if it does work, it is very ineffective. I phoned reception to tell them I think the air con is not working. They told me that the air con is centralised. If it is centralised, is the individual control then purely for decoration?
5. I also told reception that there was a huge wet, mouldy patch on the carpet. It stinks and it is not healthy. They told me I could go to reception tomorrow to change the room. So much for the lack of a sense of urgency regarding hygiene and cleanliness being fictitious.
6. I had also told the porter that I was supposed to have a pool side room and showed him the e-mail. His response was to change rooms tomorrow. Again, why is there no sense of urgency if point number 4 is fiction?
7. There is no fridge in the room. So much for point number 5 being fictitious.
8. I did not see any instructions on how to phone reception, so I guessed the number to dial.
9. The TV does have a few English channels. One reviewer had only one English channel during their stay.
10. The bed is hard. It is okay for me but would be a problem for a lot of people. If you accidentally fall onto the bit or sit down too hard, I suspect you could fracture something. I think they could solve the problem if they used a thicker mattress.
11. There is no kettle in the room. If I recall correctly, the hotel advertises that its rooms have kettles.
12. The carpet generally could be quite a bit cleaner.
13. The room’s window does not open at all. In fact, the handle to open it is missing.
14. Thus far I have not seen any prostitutes.
15. At the moment, there is also no noise from the street. I am not sure if it is because it is late or if it is because I am higher up.
16. The hotel did book a shuttle for me but, at the client’s request, I had to cancel the shuttle.
17. There is a constant noise coming from some type of vent that is in the bathroom.
18. You can change USD at the front desk, which is a good thing.
19. The lifts are tiny. There is room in there for one porter with a trolley and one guest and that is it. If a number of people ever get stuck in the lift together, they will find it very difficult to breathe.
20. The staff are very polite and were helpful when my Internet password did not work.

Hopefully there will be more of a sense of urgency “tomorrow” as regards my room.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 519.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business