“Practical & Functional Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ibis Douala

Ibis Douala
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Douala
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
“Practical & Functional Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed only one night on business in this crime ridden, backwater of a city. Was advised repeatedly not to go wandering out on the town by locals so I did not.

Reception was friendly and brisk. The room was small with a firm mattress (supported by wooden boards, not box springs). Shower/bathroom reminded me of those on a cruise ship they were so small but everything was clean and functional. Sleep was occasionally disturbed by poor acoustics in the noisy hallway.

The 1st floor bar was nice with good cold draft beer and the restaurant food was decent quality for Africa. Plenty of TV's playing, of course, soccer (boring!) to appease the largely European clientele. English use and comprehension by staff was pretty good if your Francais is a little rusty (or nonexistant). Breakfast "buffet" was passable with fruit, coldcuts, good juice selections and quality pastries and breads. Service altogether friendly and competent.

The big attratcion to me was the nice leafy outside area with a long pool surrounded by fences and razor wire. Bill for one night was $146 USD- Seems like alot for such a poor country but my company was paying anyway.

Altogether I can recommend the Ibis as a practical, no frills place to eat and sleep in a place with very, very few luxury options.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The breakfast buffet is delicious...can't say enough about the tasty beans.

Rooms were clean with fast internet and AC. We booked here because of the free airport pickup. If they aren't there when you arrive go to the tourist office in the Douala airport and they are extremely helpful...they called the Ibis to remind them to pick us up and exchanged money for us. There are no ATMs in the entire country of Cameroon...unless you have a Visa card with a chip so plan ahead.
Good location as well, near downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PSFToronto
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

This place was al right for the purpose of sleep. It was located in central Douala from what I remember. I remember our rooms were not that clean so we spent a few mins every night cleaning after the cleaning staff. I remember their pool was good. There is a lift in the hotel. It was cheaper than other hotels in the city. but I would advise against this hotel and to look at other options. I believe that the room sizes are good. Any ways the last time I stayed here was in 2009 so better to check at other reviews.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank youngSaudiTraveller
Monterey, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. Compared to the other hotels I stayed in Douala this was the best bang for the buck. For the price, you cannot beat the quality of the room. The bed was very comfortable, the rooms were very clean, there was free internet access and good tv reception. The breakfast in the morning left a little to be desired but it wasn't bad, just wished the variety and selection was larger. In all, Ibis Douala is my recommendation if you are visiting Douala. I utilized Trip Advisor and stayed at their number one rated hotel for Douala and what a mistake. Not sure who was writing reviews for those hotels but they were completely off. Stay here and you will not regret it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Wilfredo D
Bruno B, Directeur général at Ibis Douala, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Ibis Douala. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was staying 2 nights in Ibis in Douala. Room was like standard Ibis style bedroom which you can find all around the world. Restaurant and bar were lovely. Welcome and very warm. Breakfast excellent again like in other hotels Ibis cooked and continental buffet. I really liked swimming pool just next to restaurant. Staff were nice and everything was perfect. But the reason I did't give full rating is because air condition in the room. It gives me flue. And widows are locked (because of air condition). Outside very hot (and I like it:)) but inside cold. Not every one can mange it. But apart from this I really like this hotel. If GM keep checking this comments, I would like to say Well Done. And say hello to this nice girl which work during the breakfast. I use to work for Ibis in UK, and Ibis in Douala is more that you use to in UK. And people who complaining about room size no fridge in the room, not enough English channel?? Helloo?? First this is 2 stars hotel so don't expect miracle, second in Cameroon you can smoke in side the hotel, clubs, restaurants. French is the main language This is old French colony so of course most of the channels will be in French (I find 3 in English). Any way I didn't came there to sit and watch the moves. Just know a little bit place and stop criticize. For me it's a good hotel with 24h security. Definitely I will be back.

Room Tip: Choose top floor rooms. Definitely book breakfast too.