“Middle of the road”
Review of Ibis Douala

Ibis Douala
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in Douala
Reviewed 2 December 2010

As others have said it is ok - reasonably clean and rooms ok. There are better in Douala at the same price and the lack of control over aircon is a problem, but not hideous!

• Stayed: October 2010

An Accor traveller
Abidjan
Reviewed 17 November 2010

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2010

The Ibis is OK. Nothing special. Rooms are small although clean and do the job. The only thing wrong with the Ibis is the air conditioning as you have no control over the temperature in your room. Infact I'd say the entire hotel can get a bit on the warm side. There's a half decent small lobby bar,and the restaurant is OK. There's also a small sitting area at the rear with a pool which is deep and big enough to swim in. Also free wi-fi throughout the hotel. All in all the hotel's OK for a 1 or 2 night stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I stayed at or visited the main hotels in Douala, and the Ibis stikes a good balance between comfort and price. If price is no issue, stay at the Meridien, hands down. But that will run you over $350 per night. The Ibis on the other hand will run less than $100 per night. It is clean and comfortable, but it reminded me of a dorm. There are no seperate tempature controls in the rooms - one tempature for the whole hotel. And the beds are very low to the floow - almost like the old days with a mattress on the milk boxes! The rooms are small but adequate. They have some "suites" - I would upgrade next time around. The resturant is OK, mostly buffet style but the food is good. They have a nice pool and lawn in the back, which is very private. But do not expect to go walking around near the hotel - there is nothing nearby. They have a small gift shop, which is closed early so bring what you need. The hotel is about 15 minutes from the Airport, and make sure you get someone to drive you to the artist market nearby - it has great african art and clothes at great prices.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I have been traveling to Africa for 15 years. On my trip to Cameroun - 7 November to 12 November 2009 - I decided to stay at the Ibis while in Douala for three nights. I found the property in good condition and was happy to stay in a secure, well maintained environment. However I would like to make the following observations:

1) My first room was poorly air conditioned. After denying any problem existed, the staff finally moved my room to one that was clearly cooler. My traveling partner’s room was not well air conditioned. When he mentioned that fact to the staff, they failed to respond. Eventually they offered to move him to another room without even examining the system in his room.

2) During my sojourn in your hotel I had three different experiences with staff over three different issues that would never occur in a well managed operation.

In the first instance, having left a taxi and needing change for a small (10,000 cfa) note, I was informed by the reception attendant (a man) that he would only give me two 5000 cfa notes. After a discussion in which I informed him that as a client of the hotel I was entitled to this minimal service, I was provided change.

In the second instance, I received exceedingly poor service in the restaurant. My waitress delivered a meal to me that must have been sitting in the kitchen for a long time. The meal was completely unpalatable. When I returned the meal and requested something else she was indignant. When the invoice reflected the original item she was unpleasant when I suggested that it needed to be changed.

In the final instance, a waitress in the bar mistakenly combined my invoice with that of a friend. When I pointed this out to her, rather than simply change and divide the invoices, she left me to discuss this with my friend. Her behavior was insulting, inappropriate and embarrassing. In hindsight this gives me good reason to avoid bringing business acquaintances to the bar.

That said, I found the women at reception very helpful, and an alternative waitress in the restaurant kind and efficient. I informed management of my dissatisfaction and hope that they re-train staff to cater to clients who are paying a healthy sum for basic services at best.

WIFI. The hotel claims it has high speed WI FI. It was spotty at best and did not work for 30% of the time I was there.

Plumbing issue: When I had a problem with the plumbing in the bathroom, the solution by the staff was to use one of my bath towels on the floor to prevent the leak from leaving a puddle. Unacceptable - especially since they did not provide an additional towel.

On my next trip to Douala I will look at the alternatives more carefully before choosing the Ibis.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank atgworld
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Decent hotel in Douala. Rooms are fairly clean and big enough. Nothing really fancy in the hotel which is overall quite small. Prices are reasonable so a handy hotel for business trips. Would definitely be a disappointment for a holiday.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed twice at the Ibis, en route to/from Ngaoundere for medical volunteer work, in January and February. Returning after a 14 hour train ride and three hours on the bus, the Ibis felt like Heaven! Both times the room was adequate, clean, with more than enough hot water. The food is really quite good, though not as inexpensive as one would think- however, the fresh fruit and salads are safe to eat.- a lovely bonus! The wait staff is very helpful. ( Suzanne, one of the waitresses, speaks excellent English)
The pool area is nicely landscaped , very clean, and pretty quiet, considering the city location. We checked out the other popular hotels - Le Meredian and Sawa - and were not as taken with them, though the Meredien has a nice Cameroonian craft shop.
Would also recommend the craft market, though it can be overwhelming - it is civilized and safe. We could not find any books in English in Duala, so bring plenty start ing with the new Bradt guide book to Cameroon - or take a loaded Kindle type electronic reader. The Ibis will let you have a room for a half day ( ends at 7pm) which is helpful if you are taking a late pm flight to Paris or Brussells.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple