“SET IN ATTRACTIVE GROUNDS” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Paso

El Paso
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Arica
London, United Kingdom
“SET IN ATTRACTIVE GROUNDS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hotel is set in attractive grounds with rooms located around the swimming pool. Close to the centre of town. Bedrooms are large with a small outdoor terrace but in need of some updating (and this was in the "New Wing"). We had a small double bed with a rather grubby blanket - when will hotels learn that a duvet/quilt with a clean cover is much more hygienic than an aged unwashed blanket? Also the carpet was stained and dirty. Pretty restaurant situated in the middle of the gardens, only spoiled by the television blaring out rubbish the whole time - so intrusive that we gave the second evening a miss and ate elsewhere. Breakfast was not good on either morning - liquid scrambled eggs, almost inedible. With a little TLC this could be a gem of a hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the prefix 2 in the "new wing".
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

The room was extremely basic and not particularly clean, the bathroom is old, needs serious upgrading. The beds were of poor quality. Airconditioning is very loud, but in the morning it doesn't matter because the hotel is next to a construction site that's so loud that you can't sleep anyway. I stayed there only one night but it was memorable for absolutely the worst breakfast I've had at a hotel in well over a decade. It was a bad choice, don't repeat my mistake and look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SKTT09

Travellers are raving about these Arica hotels

la paz b.c.s.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

good service personel, neogiatble pricing, convienent

Room Tip: matriomonial suite same pricing as double
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

My family and I visited Arica, Chile over a three day weekend and stayed at the Hotel El Paso. Overall, we had a good time and enjoyed staying at the hotel. The hotel itself is located in a nearby park and has gorgeous landscaping and all sorts of beautiful flowers and trees. The property itself is quite large but a bit dated. They are doing renovations as you could see some areas that are under construction. You can tell this hotel has been around for a long time. There is not a vast selection of hotels in Arica and all of the upper hotels, which includes El Paso, charge a premium. Considering that you are in walking distance of the major attractions including beach and shopping areas of 21 de Mayo and right next door is the casino (that you could low crawl back from safely to your room if necessary) – the price of the hotel room is worth the cost (although we can all grumble that we have stayed elsewhere cheaper with better quality – but that doesn't exist in Arica).

The thing that irritates me is that this good hotel and good review could have been a great hotel. If management would pay attention to the little details – the experience could be so much better. The hotel front desk service – was fantastic when we checked in – wonderfully genuinely friendly – who was eager to help every way he could. Later the next day- this person was replaced by an apathetic employee who didn’t care and gave abbreviated answers to questions. Some of the housekeepers were great and friendly – stopping to show us our rooms – again – a few others were bad – like the one housekeeper that was annoyed when we asked for bedding materials for our sofa bed (we stayed in the Executive suite) and even had the audacity to ask the clerk at the front desk if we needed to pay 'extra' (like we didn't pay enough for our 135 dollar a night room – thankfully the clerk was diplomatic and said no and asked the housekeeper to just do her job and bring the bedding)

My kids loved the pool and playgrounds located on the property. The TV had all kinds of programming including HBO and Cinemax ; but no channels in English. Our room was nice and comfortable. The air conditioning worked, but struggled to keep the room cool. We didn't complain as it was doing its job marginally. The walls and carpets were fine – only a very small patch in the bathroom with some peeling paint – you only noticed it when you looked up. The hotel gave each of us adults a welcome drink coupon which we used in their bar; that was nice. Interestingly enough – the welcome drink only includes a limited selection of exotic alcohol drinks – I would have been happy with just a beer – but oh well. Each day breakfast was included. Everything was good – there is a large selection, from eggs, cereal (several kinds), toast, prepared fruit, yogurt, ham and cheese, juice, and instant coffee. My family and I loved breakfast and ate our fill but I was disappointed that they didn’t have any real coffee – I had instant coffee – they don't have coffee machines in the rooms. Ironically, they have a coffee bar next to the breakfast room. They advertise free WI-FI throughout the hotel; I couldn’t get it to work on my laptop; but didn't try very hard nor complained about it as there was plenty else to occupy my time with. There are free internet terminals located in the lobby to use.

All in all, I had a nice visit to Arica and am satisfied with my stay at the El Paso Hotel. I hope that management will see my review because it irks me that this place has such potential to do more that it can easily earn a great review and be the best hotel in the city if they would try a little harder.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ironfox
Cusco, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2010

This hotel is just overpriced in my opinion. I stayed in a double room in one of the motel like rooms around the pool, and all in all I would say that the rooms are alright. They are pretty basic and kind of old, but I can't really recognize the complaints about the cleanliness of the rooms. My room and bathroom were spotless.

However, in a city that doesn't have all that much to offer, charging 100USD per night in a hotel that leaves the costumer wishing for more in all areas, I think the hotel is overpriced and definitely not value for money. The cleanliness of the room and the friendliness of the staff are the only redeeming qualities in my opinion. The location is alright as well, but that says more about the size of Arica than anything else. Several small hostels/residencias are located in the center of the city, and I'd imagine that you could find better and cheaper accomodation in Arica.

If I ever need to stay in Arica again I would look elsewhere for accomodation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
mendoza
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

The hotel in general: good. Clean rooms.
The worst part: breakfast. Neither the butter nor the cream cheese (both need to be refrigerated) where in good condition to be eaten.
It should be a usd 60 double room, but they cost usd 90/100.
But be carefull... Arica has no GOOD hotels... so you should pick "the better between the bad" options.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

An old motel style facility with nice landscaping, but lawns not too well kept. Outdated rooms in need of real work; one serious concern is that I could not lock the window in my ground floor room which is a real security issue in Latin America. But if you really hate your room you can amuse yourself in the casino next door. Good breakfast and great central location in this small desert city by the sea.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends