“FELT DISCRIMINATED....”

Ranked #2 of 232 Speciality Lodging in Sanya
Singapore, Singapore
“FELT DISCRIMINATED....”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The hotel staffs are friendly with eye contact hence smiling towards Caucasian guest only. I felt discriminated during my stay there. Although I’m a Chinese (never study Chinese in my life)When I speak English to them, they reply rudely in Chinese which I don’t really understand; but they smile,speak english and going the extra mile to assist some Caucasians there.
Although, there a note pasted saying the staff can understand/speak English if you speak slowly to them - crap i say - they can speak good English whether they want to assist you.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank maymaymaymay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Stayed for 3 days & 2 nights. Rooms are okay for the price you pay. Would be a great lil' place if only it's been kept and tidied up.

To keep it simple, below are my experiences during my stay:

- Other than the owner Peter, the rest of the staff are practically unfriendly and perpetually stuck to being online without even giving you a proper eye contact and smile when talking to you, unless you are a gwai lo. Being a fellow Chinese myself (abeit being a Banana; yellow outside, white inside), I find being discriminated upon by a person of the same race very disappointing and perplexing.

Was hanging out in the lobby checking my mail on my phone using the free WiFi access provided one morning and managed to eaves drop on a couple of conversations between the on duty receptionist and some fellow guest.

First guest being a young Englishman wanting the receptionist to call on his behalf to book a trip to the Nantian Hotspring from an outside agent whose rates are cheaper than what the hostel is providing. The receptionist made the call willingly.

Second guest, a Swedish lady with some queries about her trips and wanting the same receptionist to make a call on her behalf to another hotel in another state she previously stayed in China requesting for a refund/payment refusal due to her ignorance in Mandarin. Again, the same receptionist obliged and made the call.

Third guest, a young Frenchman wanted a refund for his next 2 days of stay and his belongings to be kept by the hostel for the 2 days because he changed his travel plans. The receptionist obliged again and paid him on the spot.

When it came to our turn, my friend requested if she could borrow the phone to make a call to a local taxi driver to have him drive us to Nanshan Cultural Park. She turned down our request flatly and said that the phone is only for the use of the hotel and directed us to the public phone in the fruit stall down the lane, outside the hotel.

Goes to show if you're of Overseas Chinese descent with halting command of Mandarin, be prepared for some stare down, nil eye contact and some serious attitude.

- Badly needs some sprucing up of broken fixtures, fresh coat of paint, proper amenities and serious need of some tidying up.

The young stay-in staff are perpetually glued to their computer. The bookshelves, computer area, common washrooms are in a mess. Seems that they are only hired to make sure someone is visible at all times and nothing more.

The night receptionist, seriously lacks product knowledge when he told us that the WuzhiShan is near to the Nantian Hotsprings, Thankfully Peter was around and clarified our queries and recommended our travel itinerary/plans for our trip for the day.

Again I would reiterate that Peter was a great help but the same could not be said about everyone else in the hostel.

- The rooms are adequate and cosy but let down by some little cosmetic damages. A little spruce up would make it truly a better place.

- Great location, near to the beach middle of everywhere. If you're travelling in a group of 4, you can practically take the taxi everywhere cheaply. Even a trip to the Nanshan park on a taxi cost only RMB25/p one way. Beats being sardine packed in the public busses for RMB10 for an hour and elbowed by the conductors.

- Go to Dolphin Pub across the main street to catch some live sports telecast. Great atmosphere, cheap beer, friendly staff and free WiFi access. Watched and celebrated Liverpool thrashing ManUre!!

- Taxi ride to Bar Street is only RMB10 and a great place to enjoy Sanya's nightlife. If you're up to it, it's only a straight stroll down the main road. Hop into Muse for the great music and DJ's.

- Noodle shop in the alley leading to the hotel is serves great noodles and steamed dumplings!!! A good clean and friendly place. Don't forget to get a cup of warm soybean milk from the stall across the shop to wash it down :)

Hope this review would help both fellow travelers and also the hostel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I stayed in Sanya for 4 nights and really enjoyed my time in Blue Sky International youth hostel. The rooms are clean and spacious (I stayed in a double room, around 15 € per night). The staff is really nice (and speaks perfect english) and free beach towels are provided as much as needed. The walk to the beach is just 5 minutes and the atmosphere is great. Meals (breakfast and chinese specialities) are offered at a good price and they are delicious (especially chicken breast salad). the owner (i think peter) is sometimes also there and a really nice helpful guy. the hostel helps to arrange trips to sourrounding attractions. I can recommend anyone stayin in sanya to stay at this hostel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Sucre, Bolivia
Reviewed 1 November 2010

very close to beach, great staff, good rooms, lovely outside terrace. Only issue for us was that at Christmas they hugely inflated the room prices.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Haikou, China
Reviewed 16 September 2010

While Traveling Solo in China -Friendly, Knowledgeable People like Peter, the owner of this hostel are Priceless. He is full of hospitable, entrepreneurial positive energy willing
to help his guests with any question or problem they may have so actually
the rooms and their rates are a secondary consideration. Ok just so this doesn't sound too complimentary, the Wi-Fi inside my room was too low to use but downstairs near the reception there was good access. Value for money wise, well I did find a hotel room on the 13th floor of a nearby building farther away from the beach with a GREAT view for 100 Yuan compared to the P140 yuan I paid for my air-conditioned private room at Peter's place. Peter's staff are educated and from all over China which adds to the benefits of staying there.

When I first looked for this place I missed it so as your turn right off the main road where the local buses come from Sanya ( main city where long distance buses drop you )
you will see a huge modern mall with huge exterior advertisments and as this
small road curves to the right look to your left and you will notice some
ads in Russian language, turn left here walk 75 meters to see his blue color
building. and International hostel sign.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2010

My friend and I arrived in Sanya very late. When we checked into Blue Sky they didn't know what rooms were occupied and which were not. So at 1am, we were led thru hallways while the front desk staff was knocking on and opening up people's rooms to see if a private room we requested was occupied or not. As two young women we felt very uncomfortable. Once we finally found a vacant room, the AC broke in the middle of the night, in hot hot Sanya. It was hell! The beds also felts very lousy. Overall bad experience. We finally went to Sanya Backpackers for a 100% better experience.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed at Blue Sky International Youth Hostel for 3 nights in January. It seemed to be well reviewed on Trip Advisor and other internet sites, and as I was travelling by myself, I didn't mind roughing it a bit. I have stayed at many hostels over the years, and would have to say that this was my overall worst experience. The rooms are not good value, and the owner seems to be raising the prices after positive acclaim on the internet and travel guides. I stayed in a private room, and had my own bathroom. There was no toilet seat and the sheets did not seem to be changed/washed. The hostel is located in Dadonghai Bay, which is very touristy and heavily populated with Chinese and Russian holiday go'ers on package tours. The strangest thing happened to me on my second day. I returned to my room after exploring the beach, and found a 20-year old Western guy sleeping on my bed -- I had my personal belongings and toiletries still out in the room. I quietly closed the door and went downstairs, and the receptionist was apologetic. They had thought that he was to stay with me, despite I had paid for a private room for myself -- it was some type of mix-up. I was disturbed by this, and asked to check-out early. As I paid for 3 nights up-front, they refused to return my third night payment -- I made some noise and spoke to the owner, Peter. The owner defended his position by saying he was a businessman and we made a deal -- whatever, the room was cheap enough for me not to bother, and I left the hostel without a refund. It was quite a way to spoil the trip. I would not recommend this place, and have no plans to return. Finally, there is free wi-fi, but it was very slow.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo