See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 14, 2016 via mobile

Stayed on 7 th floor. Nice beach, nice views of ocean. The rooms are getting older but everything worked fine. Nice and clean. The buffet breakfast was ok, but you better be there early for supper. Nice to have a fridge in the room. Cheap cab ride to lots of restaurants. Nice walk back to hotel after supper. Good location, good service, just older place. 20 times better than place across the street!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2014

It is just perfect. The rooms are great complete with little kitchen and lounge. Blaconies have jaccuzies. The place is well landcscaped. the beach can get too crowded as it is very close to the public access.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We traveled with kids, so we're looking for hotels on seaside with family rooms. We stayed in family room 2 bedrooms on 3rd floor. Hotel itself is not luxurious, but room size amazed us. It had 1 very big living room with kitchen and dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2 balconies. One balcony is also very big with unusable (at least in Mar) jacuzzi. The furnishing in rooms are generous, you'll find everything you usually find in hotels, plus a computer with slow internet, washing machine and kitchenware. Swimming pools are big in size, there were 2 pools attaching to each other, one for kids, other more deep for adults. It was very convenient for a us, as we're swimming in one and kids were in smaller one, in a eye view position.
Hotel is on the beach itself, which was great, but you'll be on a beach with so many people! Beach was really really crowded! But, on other hand not many people were actually swimming, so if you would swim 100 m away, you'll find yourself out of reach. So, ocean was for swimming and hotel area for laying down, on beach it was not convenient at all for taking sun bath. In overall: pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Handaashka
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a short Christmas Holiday in Sanya and selected this appartment hotel in Yalong Beach. The Room was pretty big and offered all kind of amenities. The only negative point is that there is no warm water for the SPA on the own balcony which is definitely needed in wintertime. The Staff is supportive and the facilities are in general well maintained. Food is principally ok but far away from outstanding. All in all a nice place to stay few days.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Bed bugs
There were so many problems with our stay in this hotel I’ll start with the final straw. Suffice it to say that we stayed two nights of a seven-day stay on Hainan Island, in two different rooms, and that in the end we switched to another resort because we discovered bedbugs.

It was a fluke that I found a bug, live, on top of the bed since we’d come in from swimming and were going to have some quiet reading-writing time before dinner. I was going to lie on my stomach on the bed to read and spotted a brown speck. Then I noticed it moving. A crawling--not flying--insect on the 7th floor? Weird. So I took a closer look. I’ve never seen a bedbug in person and wondered if in fact this thing was something other. So I logged on and googled bedbugs, then clicked images…. Eeeew. My daughter said, “yuck.”

The notion of bedbugs in the room, indeed in the hotel, gave us the creeps and we figured even if they moved us to another room we would not be able to sleep from the creepy crawlyness of it all.

I figured I’d call the front desk and they’d send someone up but BOTH landline phones in our room were inoperative. Not even a dial tone. Nada. Weird. We had had to go down to the lobby to get the manager (actually, the assistant manager) to come and have a look. I think I was in denial enough that despite the google images I still would have believed it if she had said, “oh, no, this hotel does NOT have bedbugs, this bug you have in a ziplock bag is really a blah-blah.” But no, instead she had the maid come in with not one but two different pesticides. I declined and would have even if I had known nothing about bed bugs since we were traveling with my nine year old. I figure her exposure to toxins is heightened enough just by living in China I needn’t knowingly add to it. She also said that it is hot on Hainan and that’s why they have budbugs. Omg.

Since neither room phone worked and I couldn’t call out on my Beijing cell phone for some reason, I emailed Ctrip with whom we’d booked the vacation package. I was logged on and organizing calling them via Skype when they called within minutes of my email to them. The Ctrip package agent also called the hotel manager (assistant manager) and called me back, able to call inbound on my cell. In the meantime, a worker was doing something with the room’s landlines’ wires in the wall. The ctrip agent said the hotel was willing to move us to another room but I explained that that didn’t address our issue of being uninterested in having our bags, clothes, and things infested with bedbugs to take home to Beijing. Ctrip understood and hooked us up with a new hotel.

We packed up and were in the lobby in no time. I figured I was doing the hotel a favor by not marching down there with the bedbug in its ziplock bag in my hand during the front desk check in mayhem. When I said we wanted to move out to another place and were in touch with ctrip, the assistant manager wanted to charge us for the night because, get this, it was after 4 p.m. when we told them. Nevermind that it was right around 4 pm when I found the bug, and also couldn’t call them because neither phone worked, and anyway, what????. Another two and a half hours went by with ctrip and the hotel fighting over whether we would be charged for the night while we waited downstairs with our bags. Ctrip’s hotel agent got us a more expensive room at the nearby Marriott and we were grateful for that. But the back and forthing between the ctrip guy and the Agean’s assistant manager continued. The assistant manager, the epitome of incompetence, apparently even told the ctrip guy that I had agreed to pay for half the night! Not true, of course.

During our extended front desk time we noticed that what I had initially thought was check in busy-ness was in fact many many guests coming forward to complain. There were irate guests, irritated guests, dripping wet angry guests having just come from the pool, and more. We heard complaints about the water, bathrobes, something that was supposed to be supplied but wasn’t, and even, “I found something in our bed.”

I suspect that a high end hotel, or an expensive one that wants to be a high end one, spends most of its staff time making folks happy. I suspect that most of that comes from not the physical plant of the hotel itself, but rather the management of the staff. In fact, this hotel is well designed around the pools, looks like a Grecian resort, and that the rooms have small kitchens is great for families. So the physical plant is well done and the siting lovely.

In our case, it would have been fairly simple to address our issue graciously, gracefully: explain how the hotel deals with the inevitable bedbug issue; apologize for the trauma of the thing; explain that if the bugs are in one room they aren’t in all rooms (except that that might not be true? I don’t know the answer to that); refund our money for the prepaid days; give us a discount for a future visit (we live in Beijing and I thought of coming to Hainan again for the October holidays); or something that was something other than fighting for the one night’s stay worth about RMB650 (about US$100). Leaving us with such a bad taste was unbelievably short-sighted and indicates off the charts lousy management.

In comparison to the bedbug issue the other issues pale though those were substantial and include:

1. No hot water for the hottubs. A huge selling point of this resort is that there are jaccuzzis on the balconies. However, there is no hot water on the balconies. We were told, “no; there is no hot water. Just fill it in the morning and the sun will warm the water.” We did that but not only did it not work to warm the water, half the water drained out over the course of the day.
2. Dirty, non-private beach. Another selling point is the private beach. The hotel does, in fact, have a small private strip of sand with lounges and umbrellas. Their rope extends in front of their property to the sea and then is buoyed on the sea. However, it is right next to a public walkway that feeds a public pier, so literally hundreds of tourists walk by in front of the lounge chairs. That wouldn’t be a problem for me since, as a Californian, I value public beach access. Except that the folks trying to sell stuff to these tourists hang out in front of the hotel’s space, smoke cigarettes, drop them on the sand and harass and ogle the women. We went to make sand castles and stepped over literally 50-100 cigarette butts and other garbage in a small area of the sand. We wound up making our sand castle inside the hotel’s inner rope. Further, the hotel’s staffer who is inside the rope sweeping sand off the lounge chairs made a little old lady who sat down for a breather move on, yet let a large White man was allowed to stay and have a lounge. Neither were guests of the hotel. There are many other resorts on Yalong Bay that have private beaches so if that is what you’re after, find some place other than this one.
3. Rundown. Like other reviewers I also noticed how run down the rooms looked. While it may have been lovely originally, both rooms’ walls were fly spotted, the floors and corners mildewed, doors scratched, door moldings broken where locks were forced, floor molding and lower doors scraped apparently from cleaners’ rough handling of vacuums.
4. Construction next door. We’d booked a last minute package from ctrip for a week’s getaway from Beijing. Ctrip called after the on line booking to say that the resort’s garden view rooms were taken so we needed to pay for the more expensive ocean view. When we arrived, albeit early, the room wasn’t ready so we had lunch at the restaurant (reviewed below) and walked around the grounds. We knew we were early so were open to doing this especially in order to get the sea view room. However, when we got into the room, we discovered that while we did have an oblique ocean view, our head on view was that of the resort next door that was under construction. Not only was it unsightly, it was very very loud. There was a crane at work and it and the construction crew worked until 7 p.m. The next day the hotel moved us to the bedbug room on the other side of the building. They said we had to be out of the construction-view room by Noon and as we wanted to go to the beach we checked out early, around 10, so they could clean and rerent that room. However, the view room wasn’t ready until 3. At 3 we went to check in and found that they’d inadvertently given our view room away and now we’d need to wait until 5. In the end, we got our view (aka bedbug) room at 5:30. We were out of a room on day 2 of our vacation for 7.5 hours (2 hours of it was our choice though).
5. Bad food. The breakfast buffet was passable though not great and the coffee was hard to come by. The lunch and poolside menu were overpriced and very mediocre. If you are a foodie, this place is a place to avoid.
6. Busy location. Though on the Yanlong Bay and on the beach side of the street, this hotel is across from a tour bus parking lot and pier access to the beach. It’s very very busy and there are a jillion warnings about theft from the balconies and hotel rooms, as well as the beach chairs on the sand.
7. Water. The water is non-potable but the rooms have kitchens. The hotel leaves two small bottles of water per room and there are two more in the fridge for a mini-bar fee. I was cooking some noodles for my kid the first night and since the tap water wasn’t drinkable I called down for more bottled water. The guy who answered the phone said I couldn’t have any because each room is allotted two bottles and no more. I said that it wasn’t possible to cook with that limitation and he said that it was hotel policy: no more water. The next day we walked up to a store 20 minutes away and taxied back with jugs of water for the expected remaining days of cooking. I know one can boil water for seven minutes or some such and kill the bacteria, but I wasn’t sure what it was that made their water non-potable and I didn’t want to find out the hard way. We’ve stayed in well over 30 hotels in various cities and provinces in China and run into non-potable water many many times. What we’ve never experienced before this place, though, was the hotel declining to provide more bottles of water when requested. I was spending many thousands of rmb per night and they refused a two kuai bottle of water? Just ridiculous.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family