“Nice place to spend time and to eat a good steak”

Sanya dolphin sports bar & grill
Ranked #8 of 438 Restaurants in Sanya
Cuisines: International, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2018

When we start to be little tired of chineese dishes, someone gave us advice to visit that place and it was really perfect idea! we started to visit Dolphin bar to have a dinner, meat, fish, salads, pizza, pasta, burgers - everything was exellent and service was nice. As we noticed, this bar is a popular place of meeting and spending time between "local foreigners", atmosphere is friendly, they have a pool, at the evening sometimes live music or different party, you can have a great time there))

1  Thank Ksenia L

Reviewed August 6, 2018

I love Chinese food but do need that Western fix now and again. So:
Question “Tripadvisor, Western food, Sanya”?
Answer, “Dolphin Sports Bar & Grill”.
Is it correct? Possibly yes.
It’s the busiest bar I have seen in Sanya and difficult to get a seat after 10pm, with a pretty good cosmopolitan atmosphere.
You will get better food at some of the big hotels for sure, but at a higher price.
It’s like a Western bar with Chinese service average food and some reasonably priced beer.
We visited the establishment twice, the first time we had Fish and Chips (65 rmb, $11) and a Caesar Salad with Grilled Salmon (about the same rmb) both were average, the fish was well battered but overcooked in both cases (to be fair most places overcook the fish). To drink we ordered a Mojito (around 40rmb, $6.6) and a draft Hoegaarden (45rmb, $7.5). I make Mojito’s sometimes at home, they are terrible and this one was just as good, the picture of the Hoegaarden shows the nice head you always get on it, when it was served however on this beer that seemed to be missing, I have drunk this beer many times and it has never been served to me without its distinctive white frothy head, and disappointing taste, but I am not a beer connoisseur.
As an aside, just before we went to the Dolphin we were at an outdoor food court across the road and came across a stand which brewed its own beer, there were many different types of beer, stout, German lagers, pale ales etc., anyway I opted for the stout but as with the Hoegaarden in the Dolphin there was no nice head usually found when served a stout and it tasted like a non-descript lager with black colouring in it, but it only cost 22rmb $3.66, cheap what do you expect.
We had a craving for steak and a very disappointing experience in a Chinese place serving shoe leather instead of steaks so decided to try again the Dolphin. Both ordering the sirloin (168rmb, $28) medium/rare, the waitress had a little difficulty understanding whether I wanted medium or rare, so we explained in Chinese then she understood. When it was served the steak was medium being grey inside. The steak was tasty but a bit rubbery the potato wedges were great as was the wine pepper sauce. My friend could not finish her steak, so I finished it off it was rare but still rubbery, so the waitress understood one rare and one medium and on serving never told us which one was which, to be honest not unexpected. Generally speaking the service was good although while in the middle of eating steak the waiter asked me to pay for the meal which I found incredibly annoying if not even rude so I told him very strongly to “get lost” (or similar) I don’t think he understand what I said but he understood what I meant as he never came back until we were finished.
Oh, I forgot you get a free glass of red wine with the steak, we got 2 which just made one glass, so I ordered a draft Becks beer for me (30rmb, $5) which was OK.
All in all, it’s worth a visit it’s a good place with relatively cheap beer for a Western bar in Sanya, (families go early) it does get very busy later, we visited on a Saturday and a Monday and I think the Monday after 10pm was busier than the Saturday and there was no space left for people arriving.

Reviewed August 2, 2018 via mobile

The service in this place is awesome. The manager is very friendly and he has made sure his staff give the best quality service ever. The prices are incredibly reasonable considering its location and the portions (alcohol and food) are very generous. For those who live in China and come to Sanya for a break, instead of paying 100yuan for two drinks in a typical western bar that waters down their stuff, you can get drunk on 100yuan in Dolphin and still have change for a Didi home. We’ve been here currently two nights in a row, this place can expect to see us again regularly for the rest of our trip.

2  Thank Zhenlan963
Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

It is the top worst restaurant in Sanya pretending to be western, Australian or American pub. Starting with the uniform of the waitresses which are completely a skin baring top and tight mini mini short pants. In my country this place would be closed down. Waitresses behave in a too much friendly way with customers and I have never see that in other pubs around the world. The food gets the top five stars for being the worst western food you can get in Sanya. The meat is not Australian for sure and the portion is ridiculous. The pizza is kind of glued stuff and rubbery. The ice cream is the cheapest frozen ice cream you may find in the market and the four cheese pasta is actually a cheese sauce premix used from knorr. The only thing good is the price very cheap. But given the quality of service, the poor hygiene (they collect all dirty dishes and left over and accumulate them in front of the diners instead of bringing them straight to the kitchen, WC so smelly the fumes invade the pub, and one cloth to clean all the table without even spaying) and the quality of food it would be a crime to ask for more. And don't try the coffee. It's ink. I would not recommend this restaurant.

7  Thank dralmorales
Reviewed July 5, 2018 via mobile

Nice place the staff spoke English and was very friendly and the food was really good.I went there with my family and had a great dinner would definitely recommend this place if you are visiting Sanya

Been to Sanya dolphin sports bar & grill? Share your experiences!