All reviewsyalong baynobody speaks englishbeautiful roomwater sportsstar hotelbeautiful beachseafoodchinacommunicationpoolsidebbqbathtub
Reviewed April 16, 2018

This is a very long review but please read it through.

Please take this review to heart. Do not dismiss it as one bad review compared to how many other good or so so reviews may be out there to offset it. This is not an offhand “Yeah, nice hotel” review but instead a heartfelt well thought out one and should be taken as such.

We stayed at this hotel and spent a fair amount of money there. We paid for the Premier Suite, this huge suite on the top floor with balconies on two sides. It should have been great and while art first I was willing to overlook a lot of the small imperfections what happened to me later simply ruined my mood for much of our stay there and so now I would rather let everyone know how I really felt.

As I said we paid for this really big suite. It consisted of a large living room with TV and access to one of the two balconies previously mentioned, a dining area but no place to cook or prepare food, one full bathroom and a changing room(?) off the main living area, plus a smaller living room with small couch and TV that for the life of me I can not understand why this is even provided. Then there is the large one bedroom which had access to both balconies, a changing room/closet and large bathroom with tub and separate shower and it also had access to the side balcony.

All this should have been great except it wasn’t. Here is a list of the irritations with the HUGE vacation damaging one at the end.

* Bedroom closet consisted of two closets in one room. But what good is a closet if you don’t have hangers to hang your clothes from? They put a handful of hangers in just one of the two closets and none in the other.
* No place in the closet for your bag except on the seating built in for you to use while changing. Fairly useless when it is used to keep your bag there.
* Mold and mildew in the bathroom shower area.
* Tile grout coming off and obviously sloppy workmanship, how many stars is this hotel?
* The windows all through the rooms have electronically controlled curtains or at least some of them do. You are left to guess which is which and in the end it doesn’t matter because half of the controls don’t work anyway. Same goes for the lighting controls. The lighting for the changing room is controlled by the control pad by the bed and cannot be switched off. It can but after a few seconds the light comes back on by itself, annoying and a waste of electricity as it ends up staying on all night and all day.
* The glass on the side balcony was absolutely filthy. Looked like it has never been cleaned, ever.
* The big huge balcony is right in the sun. Should be luxurious but it needs an umbrella or sun shade of some sort.
* OK Big annoyance here: We were three people in this suite. Me, my wife and our 19 year old son. We had to request an extra bed. So, where does the extra bed go in this huge suite? In the master bedroom. We had to pay extra money for this extra bed. However, a day later, upon investigation I find that the couch in that extra little living room is actually the kind of couch that has a fold out bed inside it! We were not told about this. Instead we are charged extra money for an extra bed placed in our room while we could’ve had more privacy for all and probably a better night’s sleep for our son. This gave men the distinct impression of being ripped off.
* The pool bar is a joke. They offer 3 alcoholic drinks and 3 non-alcoholic ones only. The rest being juices, sodas and the like. But of the 3 alcoholic drinks only two were available and they were not common drinks. No Strawberry Daiquiris a staple of poolside bars, no Pina Coladas, what are they thinking!? Also, no milkshakes available which many kids, including mine would like.
* We went to the big poolside BBQ one night. The food was good but the staff kept bothering us to pay the bill early when we were trying to enjoy our meal. This was very annoying.
* Speaking of the poolside restaurant, on top of achingly slow service, where it took 30 minutes to get a drink the first day when there were no other customers to keep them busy we had one instance where my son’s girlfriend was refused a straw for her tall ice filled drink. When asked why, they said it was for “safety/security reasons” (Because We were there during the time of the Boao Forum for Asia) and offered to change her drink into a different glass instead. When they were saying safety/security reasons they were not talking about her safety. They were implying that they felt giving her a straw was a threat to someone else’s safety. A PLASTIC STRAW. They refused to allow her to have a flimsy little plastic straw because they felt there was some implied threat whereas they did not worry at all about the METAL KNIVES and other utensils that they were giving everyone? How does this make sense to anyone??? Eventually after much complaining they gave the girl a straw. Such a hassle.
* As mentioned we were there during the time of the Boao Forum for Asia so the security was very high. There were heavy security screening processes if you left and wanted to re-enter the hotel. Another major inconvenience being that we had a car but no one was being allowed to park at the hotel but instead we had to park in the public car park nearly a kilometer down the road. Even if you went to the hotels beach you could not take a bag down to the beach and you had to take a room key otherwise they would not let you re-enter. At night you were not allowed to stroll the beach past either end of hotel property. Most importantly all the beach activities such as jet skiing etc were curtailed, not allowed at all. We were not informed this would be the case before booking our stay. So, we paid full price for a hotel stay but not allowed full benefit, not allowed to enjoy as much as we normally would have. Made for quite a boring time.
* Lastly, the biggest issue. Much of my time at this hotel was spent sitting in front of their Flywave flowrider style surf machine watching my 19 year old son having a good time. I wanted to have a good time together with him but instead I was relegated to sitting there infuriated after suffering the humiliation of age discrimination! I’m 55 years old. Is this old? We elect presidents to run countries that are older than this, we have CEOs of multi billion dollar companies that are older than this. I myself am a Helicopter pilot and I like many other pilots endure the stresses of flying both the simulators for training and the multimillion dollar aircraft full of often extremely important VIPs and heads of state. BUT MGM Grand Sanya THINKS I AM TOO OLD AND TOO FEEBLE TO SURVIVE PLAYING ON THIS ATTRACTION!!!!!! I can Ski, I can Snowboard, I can fly helicopters, I can go mountain biking, wake boarding, whatever BUT MGM management in China thinks I and you too if you are over 50 are too old for this!

I could’ve had shared nice Father/Son bonding experience with my son but instead I was left feeling irritated and unhappy for much of my vacation thanks to MGM Chinese management. I doubt MGM in the US would ever consider making a policy like this that is blatantly discriminatory regarding age. They may ask you to sign a waiver and that would be it.

That said I will NEVER stay at MGM Grand Sanya again and urge anyone over 50 not to either if you don’t enjoy discriminatory policies.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Bob C
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

I’ve asked and confirmed with my travel agent one day before to get a non-smoking with an hour early arrival.

Upon arrival, I’ve been asked to wait for couple hours and then the room will be ready. Then I came back and asked to wait for another couple hours.

Now I’m trying to dine at one of the restaurant inside. The reception said no table and don’t know how long to wait. I’m actually the only one waiting. And just now I’ve to point to the reception that there’s an empty table and she told me to wait for few minutes after checking.

I’ve asked to contact the duty manager but no response at all. Really frustrated and pls don’t call it Grand and the service is worse than a 3 star hotel.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sunny3888
Reviewed August 3, 2017

For a 5 star resort we expected more.
Our room was fine. It seemed clean and we had a lagoon room so it was great to be able to go out the door into the pool. Disappointed that there were only chairs available to sit in, instead of sun loungers which would have been more relaxing.
Being from NZ and speaking English, there was definitely a language barrier. The staff at the front desk were very helpful, but the language barrier throughout the rest of the resort was harder, especially when trying to order food in a restaurant or for in room dining.
We found the food to be expensive for what it was, and not really up to the standard I would have expected in this type of resort.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irjolee
Reviewed July 21, 2017

Arrival Thursday Departure Sunday
Suite communicating very well large balcony
But a bit warm to get settled
Showers are top, salon ok
When at lunch there is something for all tastes

If you want to drink a good coffee ask the staff he will do it for you

Do not take the coffee in machine like all tourists it is really not good. (China is not the country of coffee)
Otherwise overall lunch is good bread (baguette and cereal bread)

The staff is generally helpful

If you like a little shopping
Ask the taxi to go to the Outlet on Sanya (5 min by Taxi)
For men go to POLO SPORT AND CHEZ GANT
It's not bad and the prices are top
It is not the outlet in Italy but it is acceptable
good travels

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank TonyClark66
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Visited Saniya for a week. The beach is great, the weather is ok. Very humid, some rains during the stay in July.

About the hotel: the rooms are dirty, fingers on the glass everywhere, the bathroom is smelly, the floor is dirty, so no walking without slippers, the furniture is old, looks like 20 years old, no English channels on TV, only Chinese, the bed is changed on request, so do not forget to mention it on the reception. The cleaning lady does not wash the glasses, so have to talk to the hotel manager about it as well.
Almost nobody speaks English.
To get the beach towels is a challenge.

After several trips to the manager the room became better, 2 times a day cleaning. Also as an apology the hotel offered us the outside seafood BBQ and free minibar.

Restaurants: in the hotel territory are very expensive. "Silk" and "BBQ" are nice. Portions are huge, so better to order sets for 3-4 people. Less expensive and a lot of food.

It is 4 star hotel. Not 5!!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family