1,223 results
All reviews sunset bar mo sanya yi yang buggy service fresh restaurant noodle bar chinese restaurant pool pavilion noodles south china sea oysters palm trees ocean view room resort is beautiful kids club large pool f b
Reviewed December 10, 2015

I was preparing myself for a lower expectation even though this is the Mandarin Oriental as I planned for this visit to the resort. I was proven wrong. The hotel is really in every aspect just like what you would expect from any Mandarin Oriental property.

Sometimes regardless of a brand, the interpretation and the execution of the service differs for a property in China. Numerous examples of this exist around China even in places like Beijing or Shanghai. Sanya, on my prior visits, had built up this impression in me more so because it is a top tourist destination of domestic (China domestic) travelers, and less so for an international audience.

Every detail is accounted for. The property is secluded even though it is closer to the airport and metro Sanya than other newer properties. You really don't get any sense you are close to any population when you are in the resort. The property is so big that you can get lost in your own space which is exactly the point.

Every member of the staff are attentive, warm, friendly, and unobtrusive. They are very relaxed and help you enjoy the ambience.

Small details were noticeable at breakfast. There were a proper selection of international newspapers including even the Hong Kong South China Morning Post. The breakfast buffet selection had great pastry selections that not only looked but tasted just like you would expect at the MO in Hong Kong or Paris.

Room Tip: Even rooms far away are fine because the hotel operates a very efficient and quick response "buggy" service.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
MOSanya, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2015

Dear MillionsRoadWarrior,

Thank you for your thoughtful review, which I have shared with the entire team who are delighted you enjoyed your recent sojourn at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya. Your kind comments are particularly special, as our aim has always been to deliver a guest experience that is truly representative of the Mandarin Oriental brand.

Needless to say, we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort on your next trip to China.

Reviewed November 28, 2015

Booked a surprise weekend for my partner's birthday. I asked for a birthday surprise in the room when we arrive, well what a surprise it was. Upgraded to a Villa with private swimming pool.. It was a quiet weekend as I think there was maybe 20 people at the resort. We felt like royalty. I cannot speak highly enough about this resort, the staff, the restaurants, the spa but mostly just the ambiance. Everything was perfect. A weekend we will remember with the greatest of feelings.. Destination birthday 2016 I think ;o)

Room Tip: Just enjoy this fantastic resort, Mandarin Oriental at it's finest.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mick K
MOSanya, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2015

Dear Mick K,

Thank you for your charming review, which I have shared with the entire team who are thrilled that you took away such fond memories of your stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back to your holiday home overlooking the crystal clear water of Coral Bay, whenever your travel plans allow.

Reviewed November 28, 2015

Read this review if you planing a short stay at the MO.
We stayed at the MO for 2 days out of the 5 days in Sanya. This was our first time staying at a MO hotel and wanted to see what MO hotels have to offer. We booked a basic Terrace Room.

PROS:
- hotel was quiet, felt like we are the only ones there
- picturesque
- well kept grounds
- comfortable rooms
- was able to communicate with most of the staff in English
- breakfast buffet was good
- food at the Wave was better than Yi Yang
- offered several infinity pools. (felt like our own private pool)

CONS:
- We had dinner at the Yi Yang (Cantonese restaurant) and it definitely not worth the price. We ended up eating seafood dinner the next night outside of the hotel (approx 20 mins away)
- rooms are a bit dated and had a musty smell
- no free wifi

Overall, I enjoyed the peacefulness of this hotel and would only return to this hotel if I plan a longer stay with a better room (reviews with an excellent rating seem to have stayed longer and had better rooms)

FYI, if you are looking for a beach vacation book your hotel in Yalong Bay. This hotel felt more like a retreat.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear RachnJay,

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful review following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya; I appreciate you taking the time to share your recommendations on how we may improve our guest experience and hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort when you next visit China.

Please make your next reservation through my office, so I may handle the arrangements and ensure we completely live up to your expectations on your next stay.

Reviewed November 23, 2015

We have just returned to the UK from an 8 day stay at MO Sanya (book-ended by stays in Hong Kong). I cannot recommend the incredible Mandarin Oriental highly enough.

All aspects of our stay were superb. The staff were incredibly polite and respectful, they all knew our names and spoke good English.

We were upgraded on arrival to a Pavillion suite which was amazing - all room facilities and extras were wonderful.

The property itself is outstanding - plenty of areas to chill out by the pool or beach and free water and towels always available - we started off by the main pool in the morning and moved to the Tranquil pool by the Noodles bar for the mid session - this areas was always empty.

The restaurants were very good with Fresh by the beach being exceptional. My one suggestion to the Management is to open the Noddles bar some evenings as I think it's under-utilised and is a great alternative.

The resort was great value in my opinion with happy hour for 2 hours each day and an overall 20% discount on everything as we stayed more than 7 days.

Particular thanks to Alex (Guest Relations Manager) who was regularly available and always visible to help with anything.

Access from Sanya airport is cheap and easy 30 minutes taxi at £10 cost.

I really hope this place catches on with UK visitors as it is exceptional.

Thanks MOSanya and I hope to see you again !

Room Tip: All rooma are great !
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John P
MOSanya, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2015

Dear John P,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and thoughtful review following your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya which I shared with the entire team who, needless to say are delighted you enjoyed such a relaxing and memorable holiday.

Sanya remains a hidden secret for many visitors outside China, although we do have a growing loyal following of regular guests from Europe, who are slowly, but surely introducing new guests to the destination and we are delighted to have you and your wife as our newest ambassadors.

With regards, to our noodle bar; Mee & Mian is open in the evening from late November to April and hopefully as the destination becomes increasingly well known we will be able to open it year round for dinner as more guests travel to Sanya over the summer months.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort, when you next visit China.

Reviewed November 18, 2015 via mobile

I wanted to surprise my wife for her birthday and took her along to Sanya! 2nd half of October is low season but perfect for a relaxing holidays. Perfect rooms, pools and a very motivated team full of charming hosts. Delicious food in 4 different restaurants offering any kind of food you may like. This has not been my last time in this place!

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family

Dear pilot1953,

I was delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Sanya to celebrate your wife’s birthday, the entire team are thrilled you took away such fond memories. We all look forward to welcoming you back to your holiday home overlooking the crystal clear water of Coral Bay in the not too distant future.