“A site in and of Itself”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pan Pacific Suzhou

Pan Pacific Suzhou
Ranked #6 of 1,418 Hotels in Suzhou
Shanghai, China
“A site in and of Itself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We arrived late at night and my wife's words were something like this: "Is that the site..oh it's a hotel...oh it's our hotel." We were met and checked in to the Pacific CLub and they never missed a beat the whole weekend. Everyone had a smile and their face and were etremely helpful whether recommending a site, booking a massage, or personally walking us from one restaurant (that had closed a bit early) to their other restaurant to ensure we were seated and taken care of. Room was comfortable and well apointed. Definitely take advantage of Pan Men next door.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear EdD99_12,

Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to know you and family like the surrounding of our hotel and enjoyed your stay here. We warmly welcome you to visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times since 2007 - three or four times in its former incarnation as the Sheraton and now twice as the Pan Pacific. I still think it's a good, 4-star hotel, and worth considering as a base for exploring the older sections of Suzhou. Having Pan Men next door (free access for guests) is a huge bonus too. However I think that if this hotel wants to compete with the newer kids on Suzhou's block (e.g. Intercontinental, Kempinski, Shangri-La) it needs to raise its game.

Usually I stay in a standard (deluxe) room, and many of these have balconies and wonderful views over Pan Men. This time, though, I was in the club wing. The room was much larger, and very comfortable, but the view was poor. There was also a real lack of natural light. Another thing that bothered me was the poor drainage in the bath, shower and sink.

I really liked the evening 'cocktail hour' at the Pacific Club (6-9pm), and the selection of drinks was good (champagne, red/white wine, spirits, beer). The service was very good too, even though there was only one (very over-worked) member of staff. The hors d'oeuvres, though, were a disappointment - not a great selection and quite bland tasting. In fact I think F&B at this hotel has gone seriously downhill over the years. Breakfast at the Garden Brasserie was also very average (the potatoes weren't cooked properly and my danish was a little stale).

I used the swimming pool twice and both times found wet towels and slippers strewn around the changing room. Another black mark.

All of this is a real shame, as I love this hotel and have spent many enjoyable holidays there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear jamesc23,

Thank you very much for your review and the feedback from a loyal return guest like you is very precious to us. The management already take note of the areas you mentioned and address to the team for action. We sincerely invite you to come back in near future and hope you can see positive changes.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I had the privilege to stay at the Pan Pacific while traveling for work. It is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in, and I have stay in many over the years. The price of the hotel was about $150 U.S. dollars per night. For that amount, you got a suite, with a marble bathroom, wonderful bedroom and separate office/den. The restaurants were very good (even the Italian one) and the staff very helpful. One I wanted to mail postcards home, all I had to do was ask at the desk and give them some money and they took care of it. Also, there are some lovely gardens right behind the hotel which you can visit. The admission fee is only about $4.00. There is a temple that was built in 1000 A.D. still on the grounds. I wish we had been able to stay at the Pan Pacific for more than one night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lunamoth2001,

Thank you very much for the review. For sure one night is a bit too short to experience the beauty of surroundings and make fully use of the hotel facilities, we are happy you had a good time, and wish to see you back very soon and stay longer next time.
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed for a full week at the Pan Pacific Suzhou in March 2012 and enjoyed every minute. There are two different sections of the hotel and I was lodged in the section that was geared more toward Western guests. From what I could tell, the staff members in this section were more experienced with the English language, which made things easier. (I'm working on my Chinese, but it will take a few more decades, I think!) In this section there is an Italian restaurant that serves a nice variety of food. Of course, we could also walk over to the other section of the hotel to take advantage of the large Asian buffet. There is also a very pleasant lounge across from the Italian restaurant that serves complimentary finger food and wine in the evenings. It was a very relaxing place to sit and read or chat.

The room was perfect, functional and elegant. The work desk is large and the chair is comfortable. Others have mentioned the beautiful showers with stonework and natural light channeled in from the roof. I was pleased to find that the bed was not hard. I like soft support and this was just right.

I spoiled myself with one spa treatment, a short reflexology foot massage, on my last day. I should have tried more. It was easy to walk in and schedule, and they seemed to have plenty availability.

Finally, the staff members are absolutely wonderful. They are very attentive and personable.

I will definitely stay here again, and I will try other Pan Pacific properties when I get the chance.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear brg1060,

Thank you very much for your review and we are happy to know you enjoyed your stay so much. For us, "felt like home" is always the highest compliment from guests. We wish to welcome you back very soon.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel will make you feel as though you have stepped back to a simpler time and place. We had the pleasure of staying here for two nights in April 2012. Our room which was on the third floor overlooked the beautiful centre court ponds. The bathroom was roomy and bed very comfortable. The options for breakfast were extensive and well prepared. The staff were friendly and did their very best to ensure we were comfortable.

Hotel guests have access to the beuatiful Panmen gardens which includes may bridges, canals, a pagoda, an old bell that makes a sound beautiful sound and of course lovely greenery and many trees and shrubs. Do take the time to wander through if you stay.

We didn't have time to use the pools, but they looked great.

This is truly a gem in Suzhou.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Canadian_traveller78,

Thank you very much for the high compliment to our hotel and we are happy to know you had spent some nice time here with us. Spring is great season to visit us since there are so many flowers and greenery in hotel garden and Panmen garden. We do hope you can come back here again next time and can stay longer to enjoy other hotel facilities like our indoor and outdoor swimming pool.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I was amazed at this hotel. Great room although bed was a little hard but normal for Chinese standards. Beautiful shower with sunlight (when sun is shining). The food was good. Especially liked buffet when the guest chefs were in from Thailand. Service was excellent. Bar service was excellent and friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Drtpaper,
Thank you very much for the nice compliment. We wish you can visit our hotel in spring and summer season as well, so that you can enjoy best scenary in our garden. We look forward to welcoming you back soon in your next trip, business or leisure.
Hanoi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed two nights using their family package with free extra bed. The room was very small, but of good quality. We got an upgrade to a higher floor (3) and had a nice view over the Pan Men Garden. You get free entrance to this garden when staying in this hotel which is a sight in itself. Breakfast was good and staff tried tomdo their best with English. Despite the relatively central location in Suzhou, you still have to taxis because Suzhou is a rather big city. Sometimes it is not easy to find a taxi.

Room Tip: Higher floor is better