“All Around Great Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 1,642 Hotels in Qingdao
Rochester, New York
“All Around Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Spent 2 nights here on a business trip. It was a nice break from the language barrier I am used to in China, since all staff members communicated very well in English. I agree that their internet was a little slow, but it did not prevent me from completing work (sending emails, etc.).
The rooms are simply fantastic (I stayed on the club level). The bathrooms in particular were outstanding with waterfall showers and tub. I could not find a flaw in the room if I had tried.
Room service was also great and showed up to my room on time with everything in order.
Quick checkout and shuttle to Qingdao airport made my trip complete. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Club level rooms highly recommended.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeMeridienQD, Admin. Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Review, thank you for recognizing our personal,instinctive service and for recommending us to others. We are delighted you enjoyed a refreshing and peaceful stay. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip to Qingdao and would encourage you to share with us your preference more to ensure we maximiza your travel. Be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at the Le Meridian Qingdao for a one night business trip, during March 2012. I usually stay at the Shangri-La or Intercontental Hotels, as I've never had a problem with either. However, the Shangri-La is in parts a little dated, the food at the Intercontinental is poor, so I decided to try Le Meridian. I'm quite picky, but I can honestly say that the check in experience was one of the smoothest, (and certainly the quickest) that I've experienced in China. The staff were very pleasant, eager to help, and genuinely friendly. In fact, I travel extensively in China, and I often feel that the welcome at certain hotels is very cool and uncaring. This was the exact opposite, and very welcome too, as I was particularly tired after a long day. The room itself was great, and a little different to most you come across in terms of room design. I particularly likes the bright red lacquered cabinet that housed the mini-bar, and which sat beneath the television. It somehow enlivened the room. The furniture in general was a sort of pear-wood shade, and so the room was very lovely and bright during the daytime. I slept very well and the linens and bed comfort were top notch. Everything worked well, the room lighting was good, and in the daytime, the floor to ceiling window was nice. I sat and worked on a day bed by the window the following morning, although there was a proper desk. It was easy to connect to the hotels wifi, and the speed was adequate. My only criticism of the room is that it felt a lot hotter than the AC reading of 22C, and cooling just didn't work- I guess, as its still considered winter in China, the aircon only heats, and doesn't yet cool. Breakfast was great, a vast choice, good coffee, very good service, and I was even asked if the food quality was up to expectations. It was, and I left happy. Didn't have a chance to use any of the other facilities in the hotel, as this really was a flying visit. Check out was swift. I did find it odd, that I managed to walk across a huge lobby, and outside without one of the staff asking if I needed help with my luggage. I didn't, but it's nice to be asked. My only real gripe is that Le Meridian have obviously opted for a uniform that consists of an open necked shirt for men, and no tie. At times it made for a game of 'spot the staff'. I'd far rather see a uniform that immediately allows you to identify the hotel employees. Otherwise, near perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LeMeridienQD, Administrative Assistant to GM at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Review, we are delighted to recieved such a detail & honest feedback. And also pleased to provided a warm Le Meridien welcome for your Qingdao getaway. Thank you for recognizing our personal, instinctive service. Your positive comments have been shared with our team. We all lool forward to continuing to be your hotel of choice in Qingdao. Be well.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Received a huge upgraded room with interesting fun furnishings. Very pleased with it. Bathroom was very cool as well with view from tub to the city.

Breakfast good. Gym excellent.

Front desk service was slow, and co-worker had issues with bill accuracy, and argumentative staff members.

Location is not super central, but plenty of cabs, and attached to a shopping mall.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank djcn0te
LeMeridienQD, Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having spent your valuable time to share your comments with us.

We are very glad that you like our facilities.

And we sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you experienced in our hotel. Please be rest-assured that we view your disappointment very seriously and we will train our staffs for the service sense and service skill frequently, have been taken to exceed your expectations on future visits to Le Meridien Qingdao.

shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

I've stayed at the le meridien here and in xiamen. The buildings themselves are very stylish and slightly offbeat but very appealing and with lovely rooms. The real let down for me was the internet connection which was very bad. I complained three times but they couldn't fix it and so I ended up going to starbucks next door to work. They told me that it was because there were other guests sharing the internet, which is a pretty lame thing to say. Well duh. If not for that issue, I would stay here again but I will move to a different hotel tomorrow. If you don't need internet in the room I recommend this place but it is not for me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for having spent your valuable time to share your comments with us.

We sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you experienced in our hotel. Please be rest-assured that we view your disappointment very seriously and necessary steps, we have contacted the internet operator, they must resolve the problem for our hotel, have been taken to exceed your expectations on future visits to Le Meridien Qingdao.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable time and hope that the negative experience will not deter you from future visits to Le Meridien Qingdao.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

This was my first stay at a Starwood hotel and if the standards are to be repeated at others in the chain then I'm sticking with it for good.

The Qingdao Le Meridien is new and well maintained. I really liked the look of the hotel when I entered it. Very large, uncluttered and classy, very nice and soothing colour themes (red with greyish black) and when you look up the ceiling, the crystal lighting piece gives the hotel a grandeur without being overly garish.

In terms of location, this may not be as ideal as being located nearer the coast (where most offices would be located) along Xianggang Rd. Even though Qingdao is small, the traffic has become quite congested from 3 years ago when I was last there, so be prepared to set off about 20 mins earlier if you're going nearer the coast and need to be on time. There's a shopping mall with a Jusco supermarket just next to the hotel.

I was there on business and visited a colleague's room at the Shangri La -- and I'm glad it was so full that I had to book the Meridien. The Shang in Qingdao is far too dated.

Besides the decor and room facilities, the gym, swimming pool, sauna/steamroom facilities were excellent and new.

I stayed on the club floor and paid around Yuan 14xx per night inclusive of tax, and this includes breakfast and internet access.

Some minor areas that I thought need improvement:
- the lack of daily newspaper delivery
- soy milk drink at breakfast is too thin, tastes like water. I'm not sure if this is a Qingdao thing but I've had better in other Chinese cities in the north and south
- the club lounge service is not as personalized as at the Intercontinental. Also no offer of a newspaper. I wasn't greeted by name and I could hear the loud chatter of staff inside the kitchen from the dining area
- the gym benches had sweat stains on them, though the good thing is that towels were readily available
- traveling up and down the lift, there were times when the music piped into it was quite weird, esp tunes that sounded like chanting, explosion/construction noises. The bird-chirping ones were OK.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LeMeridienQD, Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for having spent your valuable time to share your comments with us.

We sincerely apologise for the shortcomings you experienced regarding to newspaper delivery, soy milk and personalized service at club lounge. Please be rest-assured that we view your disappointment very seriously and necessary steps, and have been taken to exceed your expectations on future visits to Le Meridien Qingdao. We had also emphasized the cleaning and maintenance equipment in fitness centre to ensure more comfortable of our guests.

For your experience inside our elevator, it is one of the Le Meridien signature program named “Elevated Experience”. This 24-Hour Unique soundscapes in the Elevator transforms the hotel elevator ride from a predictable experience with a soundtrack of generic music or silence, into an experience that juxtaposes the ubiquitous elevator setting with an audio component that is surprising and stimulating curiosity. Le Méridien has appointed Henri Scars Struck, the visionary Grammy-winning French composer and producer, to create the Elevated Experience for Le Méridien hotels globally. Le Méridien will transform the expected and predictable event of riding an elevator into an “elevating experience” through video and sound. Based in New York, Henri Scars Struck has been at the forefront of music and media production for over 15 years and has worked with acclaimed talent including Yves Saint Laurent, No Doubt, Madonna and Alicia Keys. Each soundscape plays continuously and represents a time and mood of the day. Each program, morning (waters), afternoon (forest - birds), evening (markets & cafes) and night (crickets & campfires) comprises of rich natural sounds and exclusive and original music compositions.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

To find such a good Hotel meeting the best of International standards for the Hotel was a great Surprise. Starting from the lobby to the Coffee Shop to the Bar and the specialty Chinese and Japanese Restaurants all gave the experience of not being far away from home.
The Rooms were really good and well furnished. The Bathrooms were also done well and the quality of service despite the language issue in China was beyond the desired level.
The Business Center, Fitness Center and the Swimming pool all fit the Le Meridien Standards world wide and I spent some 5 days and it was a pleasure to stay at the Hotel

Room Tip: Get a room which is on the Higher Floor gives a good view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LeMeridienQD, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Le Meridien Qingdao, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear valued reviewer,

Thanks for your recognizing our personal, instinctive service. We are delighted you enjoyed a refreshing and peaceful stay and look forward to welcoming you back for your next time to Qingdao.

Be well.
Lilian
The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I'm a frequent visitor of Starwood hotels and for me Le Meredien Qindao, China is the best Starwood hotel I have ever stayed in. The Hotels is only 1 year old and the interior design of the hotel is contemporary and beautiful, especially the hotel bar and the rooms and bathrooms. The food in the hotel is excellent. The king-size bed is of the best quality with new fresh sheets and plenty pillows. The food in the hotel is excellent. The staff in the hotel is not only very friendly and professional but to me it seemed that the hotel has at least 2 times more staff than any other average starwood hotel in Europe. They make you feel a very welcome and important guest!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JansenPraha
Dear Valued Reviewer,

We are pleased you enjoyed a fulfilling stay in our hotel. We are delighted our personal and instinctive service ensured a revitalizing stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another refershing stay on your next Qingdao getaway.

Be well,