“Remove the animals and just make it a park”
Review of Ningbo Zoo

Ningbo Zoo
Reviewed 17 May 2017

The animals are definitely not treated as well as they should. Watching the bears begging for popcorn or small portions of food was just pathetic. Certainly they are not eating as well as they should be. Other reviewers have detailed the rest of the zoo. It is a nice piece of realestate, and this zoo was established by Younger, a very large manufacturer of clothing. I think they would be a bit embarrassed by having their name linked to this zoo.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

We came here because we had a spare day in Ningbo. Reviews vary dramatically and I can see where both sides are coming from. On the front of it yes it's a zoo with many interesting animals and if you've been to Chinese zoos in the past you can rank this as a one of maybe the better ones for some of the animals. But if you see some of the conditions of some animals yes they are in cramped environments. It's strange how the amount of space differs. Maybe some animals are better funded.
The place is dirty and I think that is a reflection of not only the staff but the visitors. I rarely saw a staff member around the zoo or in the toilets. Toilets were atrocious. Packaged food was often thrown in the animal compounds. Food was constantly pelted at animals so much that they relied on it for nourishment. It's sad to see. I think the country has a long way to go before the standard on animal sanctuaries are up to the standard of the West.
Finally the animal show had me in tears. Monkeys on bicycles being whipped, majestic tigers being reduced to humorous attractions as they stand on their hind legs cowering from the trainer. Im not ashamed to admit I wanted the animals to retaliate.

Even if you don't visit this zoo out of protest there are millions of Chinese tourists that will happily pay the money to fund this and other horrendous zoos.

Reviewed 11 March 2017

not many animals very run down and dirty. This is the worst zoo I have ever been too. I was very sad for the animals there. If you want to spend a few hours looking at some animals in a bad environment go here and you will leave sad.

1  Thank lukerC509PO
Reviewed 2 January 2017 via mobile

Nice day out, especially on the sunny day. Some parts of the zoo were undergoing renovation so have not seen all of it. Think that animals are well looked after.

Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Luckily on a free day I had my local friends take me here. They had not been either and it turned in to a highlight of my trip!! This is a GREAT zoo. Spent 6 hours there and never got tired or bored. Can get unsually close to some of the animals. Beautifully landscaped and easy map to follow to ensure sightings of all animals. Truly enjoyable!