All reviews rooftop pool beautiful hotel old city walled city internal courtyard coconut lemonade star hotel buffet breakfast junior suite south america location was perfect three nights great pool rosario islands the air conditioning spa wedding
Reviewed May 29, 2017

I loved everything about this hotel! The rooftop pool was perfect to cool down after a hot humid day exploring. Our room was super spacious with nicely appointed bathroom with separate tub and shower. The onsite breakfast had all you could want for breakfast buffet and the event we attended in the former chapel was breathtaking. Beds were comfortable, linens very nice. Staff was super helpful. Doorman went and got me medicine at the pharmacy so I wouldn't have to go. 5 stars from me

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Mommalisa11
Reviewed May 5, 2017

The rooftop pool and breakfast area are stunning and worth staying here for that plus the location. Plus the coconut lemonade you are welcomed with. The rooms are extremely nice but not luxurious. We loved the location, our balcony and the historic feel of the hotel. Definitely make time to spend an afternoon relaxing by the pool. The views of the old city are wonderful. If you are looking for ultimate luxury, our friends stayed at the Bastion and loved it.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CapCityTravelers
Reviewed April 21, 2017

Our room was over the top! Beautiful view, spacious, a special Caribbean/European vibe. Outside our hotel, was a bustling outdoor restaurant, and just up the hill a vibrant, bar and music scene overlooking the sea. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The pool area has either a great view or a nice ocean breeze. Staff were exceptional.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Dianeenaid
Reviewed April 20, 2017

This is a bit delayed unfortunately, as we were married in late February. However, there was no way I could let the opportunity pass to say how happy we were.

First the cons: The even department could be difficult to deal with at times, and get responses from. Being from NYC we are used to top of the line customer service, and we just did not always have that same experience while working with the events team. That being said, most places in the world you will have the same experience when comparing to NYC. Also, it wasn't just the Charleston, any venue or vendor in Cartagena we dealt with always had long delays in communication and information, so I believe it's more of a cultural thing than just the Santa Teresa events team. However, when we did have an issue, we reached out to Jose the GM and it was immediately resolved.

So how 5 stars when there was a negative? Everything else was so far past our expectations, there is no way I could give them anything less than 5 stars.

We had 52 people at our wedding including us, with the vast majority of those staying at the hotel for 4-5 days. The staff went out of their way to take care of all of us, even a few of those not staying at the hotel. Three couples stayed in other places, but were even given a pass to access the pool every day to join the group even though they didn't stay there. They were never harassed, questioned, or treated in any other way than as if they were a guest.... not many hotels would do that.

Every staff member goes out of their way to introduce themselves, ask if you need anything, and just overall give you a very positive experience. The customer service in general is just insanely good everywhere in the hotel.

My wife and I had a cabana reserved for us every day (normally first come first serve), and every manager at the hotel found us to introduce themselves to say they would do anything we needed to make our experience amazing.

The food everywhere in the hotel is phenomenal... the pool, Harry's, even the catering at the wedding blew away our expectations. Felipe runs food and beverage and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, even had the kitchen randomly send out a dish or two for my wife and I to try because they were so good. Make sure to get the lobster by the pool, and the Crab Avocado nachos at Harry's are the best things I've ever tasted.

The wedding itself was gorgeous, such a perfect setting for a ceremony on the roof, and the reception in a beautiful event room that used to be a chapel. Staff was always around making sure everything was taken care of, even more attentive than most weddings back home.

We had so many people comment afterwards that the entire weekend, and the Charleston itself, was one of the best experiences they've ever had. Those not normally adventurous travelers were blown away.

If you go to Cartagena, stay at the Charleston. My wife and I plan to go back many times, and will never forget the memories their staff helped make.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank JRW7373
Reviewed April 18, 2017

We arrived at the Hotel, being warmly received with an ice cold beer and friendly faces! What a treat. The Hotel is well located, great attention by the staff and so clodse to the centre of town and several wonderful plazas and restaurants which we thoroughly enjoyed. The rooftop is a treat with a breakfast that fits every need and a great view of the surrounding city and Islands closeby. I very much liked the Hotel. I must admit that I did not get a chance to try the Spa and Gym as we were fully busy for the wedding and side activities.
A few points to ponder....my room was very nice, well appointed but with a slight musty smell of humidity probably due to the proximity of the sea and the humidity in the air. At the prices that you pay, this must be attended to. Also, be aware that the breakfast that is included must be taken on the rooftop as there is a substantial cost in having it room delivered which many were not aware of and it came as quite a surprise come check out time!! A cost is normal, but this one was quite surprising!
Anyway, enjoyed the Hotel very much and taking into consideration the watchpoints we enjoyed our stay very much!

Stayed: March 2017