All reviewsbasement roomboutique hotelperfect locationarepastwo nightsthe hotel staffjacuzzirooftop
Reviewed July 8, 2016

My boyfriend and I stayed in this lovely hotel for a week! It was everything we hoped for and more! The location was amazing - right in the center of town. We were able to return to our room several times during the day if we needed to and head back for a dip in the pool. Everything is maintained really well, the grounds are beautiful. Wonderful, small pool in the lobby, plus lovely rooftop w/an area to relax and hot tub. Everyone who works here is SO helpful and friendly! I had written down names of those specifically, but now can't find the list. They booked excursions for us, served great breakfasts, practiced Spanish w/us :) I couldn't rave about this place enough. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2016

Very friendly reception and staffs. hotel in a quiet but yet very central location near many restaurants. we booked the bicycle and was given to someone else and they quickly got replacement for us. you cant really swim in the pool, only dip. there is a jacuzzi in rooftop. We got the first room next to the reception, the rooms are clean and slightly noisy for us... one of the customer forgot his keys and created a ruckus to get in....
the set up of the room is great but leave no place to hang your wet laundry, i hang my shorts at the roof top and when i came back from dinner it's gone....

Room Tip: don't take room 1 next to the reception
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2016

This was a peaceful, comfortable and reasonably priced, small, hidden hotel in the very heart of Cartagena de Indias. If you've experienced the riads of Morocco, you'll know what coming off a busy street into a quiet, totally comfortable surrounding is like.
Beds and baths perfect. AC and fan more than adequate when needed. Breakfast varied from simple to full to local style, according to your taste for that day. Rooftop resting area w spa. Best are the staff: attention to needs, emergencies, recommendations, and advice. Jorge, María de la Rosa, Dunis: Gracias!

Room Tip: All the rooms are interior to beautiful courtyards. Second floor have decorative balconies that look out on the plant-filled interior
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2016

I liked everything abaout this hotel. It was the best I ever visited.
It is very beatiful. The room was confortable and the bed was great.
The staff was very very kind and extremelly helpfull. It is a small hotel.

They have bikes the guests can use for free. I used many times to ride around the city.
The restaurant is delicious.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raquel Fernanda O
Reviewed February 16, 2016

In July 2015, I booked four double rooms through Booking.com. The reservation was for three nights over the New Year. All went well until mid-October when suddenly, totally out of the blue, Booking.com contacted me to say the the Hotel Boutique Santo Toribio had cancelled my reservation. The reason that was given was that they only take reservations for a minimum of five nights over the New Year. So, why was that not stipulated when I tried to make my initial booking? And why were they contacting me three months later... rather than reacting within a matter of days? I protested to Booking.com, explaining that it would be extremely complicated to find alternative accommodation in the old town for the New Year and that the prices had obviously gone up since July. So basically, I was a victim of the error in the reservation and I was going to have to pay the price.

Given these conditions, wouldn't it have been normal for the hotel to waive their five-night minimum rule and to make an exception? Instead, they claimed that I had been the one to cancel the booking in mid-October... which was simply impossible, because one of the conditions of my reservation was that it could not be cancelled. And then, they basically refused to reimburse me. In late-October and early-November, Booking.com informed me that the hotel had agreed to the refund and that they were going to make it on specific dates. This never happened. Fortunately, I had booked with American Express and contacted them to reclaim the money. They tried to get in touch with the hotel, who never responded. When I attempted to get the money back via Booking.com, the hotel claimed that I had never paid them (in spite of the fact that the money was debited from my AmEx account in July) and then, they very dishonestly claimed that they could not reimburse the amount because I had made a claim with American Express... to which I wrote that if they really wanted to refund me, it was quite simple. They just had to reply to American Express's advances to them. However, they never ever did this. In the end, AmEx reimbursed me in late-December. By that stage, I'd had to pay three times the originally amount of the booking for alternative accommodation.

Booking.com were terrible too. At one stage, they tried to offer alternative accommodation and claimed that a hotel in a high-rise in Bocagrande with several hundred rooms and a casino was "in all respects identical" to the Hotel Boutique Santo Toribio—an establishment with eight rooms in the old town. Go figure!

I can't actually tell you what the hotel is like because I preferred to avoid it while I was in Cartagena. But, the people who run it certainly don't have the standard of ethics I expect from a hotel. And Colombian friends, who popped by there, told me they were disappointed with what they found and that it did not live up to the photos on their Internet site. They also informed me that hotels in Cartagena are notorious for cancelling bookings when they get a better offer from someone else.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends