“Unique Surprise”

Ranked #18 of 429 Restaurants in Atlantic City
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Indigenous Atlantic City Pizza, Subs & Grub. Tony Boloney's is an Atlantic City original. We make turn-of-the-century Atlantic City style pizza and bad a$$ grub.We hail from the fast growing and ever changing historic inlet and toss dough in a landmark building. If you leave A.C. without trying our pizza or award winning subs you don't know what you're missing....-Mike, The Butcher, Owner
Reviewed August 23, 2017

What a find! Tony Baloney's has the best assortment of gourmet and traditional pizzas. The taco pizza is a cheese pizza and the center of it is guacamole. It is then topped with three separate tacos that you can individually handle and eat. Really great place. Would go back for sure!!! Wish there was one closer to us!

1  Thank Katwoman1313

Reviewed August 4, 2017

We called to see when the place was opened. The recording gave loads of information but not the days opened or hours. We walked to Tony's on a Tuesday, and darn tootin weren't they closed. What a waste of time. Went back two days later to give their pizza a try anyway. We got the 1900's. It was really good except for have cold ricotta placed on each slice. It was good when served at the place, however the two slices we took home for later...not so good reheated. Next time we will hve them put the ricotta on before baking.

1  Thank bd810
Reviewed August 3, 2017

I came here with my sister and dad last weekend for lunch. We tend to favor local city restaurants over the casino restaurants and Tony Boloney's is just exactly what we wanted! We ordered four different square slices of pizza - one white onion, buffalo chicken, mozza and meatballs and a mexican style corn pizza. They were all delicious. We also ordered a cheesesteak to try and that was out of this world.The ratio between steak and cheese was just right.

1  Thank klj913
Reviewed August 2, 2017

I was in Atlantic City for business and wanted something different to eat. Someone who lives in Atlantic City recommended this restaurants to me. Needless to say it is a very interesting eatery. Their cheesesteaks are delicious. These guys have mastered the art of good favors.

1  Thank hikebike2200
Reviewed July 22, 2017

Atlantic City and its neighboring towns on the island (I live in one of those towns) have no shortage of pizza and sandwich shops; you can't walk more than a block or two without hitting at least one. But Tony Boloney's is truly in a class all by itself, mostly because of the incredibly imaginative and incredibly large menu, but also the high-quality and the surprisingly large portions.

I'm not joking when I say that if you look at the menus of all of the pizza and sandwich shops in my area, most look like they're the same menu just with a different name at the top. Tony Boloney's could not be more different.

So let's talk first about the pizzas. I'm sure you can order a plain cheese or a pepperoni, but if you go to Tony Boloney's just for that, you're wasting a lot of talent ... it would be like asking a NASCAR driver to drive you to a store a mile away and observe the posted 25 mph speed limit ... he could do it for you, but you're missing out on his great talents.

I just counted, there are 38 pizzas on the menu plus the make-your-own section. They range from the interesting (Moonshiner: pink voda sauce, fresh mozzarella, asiago and basil) to the really interesting (Gauchito: steak OR cauliflower, Argentinian chimichurri sauce and fresh mozzarella) to the complex (Sh#tfaced: beer-battered chicken breast with homemade honey stout bbq sauce, mozzarella and cheddar) to the truly imaginative (Bangkok Boardwalk: spicy Thai sauce, hand-battered fried chicken, fresh jalapeños, cilantro, crushed honey roasted peanuts and toasted black sesame seeds) to the I've-got-to-just-try-it (Aunt Jemima: buttermilk fried chicken, homemade waffles, sharp cheddar and local maple syrup) to the you've-got-to-be-kidding (Jewish Cowboy: Jewish Passover bbq brisket, smoked mozzarella, beet horseradish and parsley). There are three pies labeled as vegan (such as the interestingly spelled Kaleiente: roasted kale, Mexican black bean hummus, avocado, cilantro and homemade salsa verde) but they can make just about any of their pies in a delicious vegan version.

The sub menu ("sub" is what we here at the Jersey shore call hoagies or submarines or whatever word you happen to use for a sandwich on a long roll) is equally large and diverse. Some mimic the corresponding pizza, but many are unique, such as The Nuck (grilled steak, hard boiled egg, smoked bacon, country ham, garlic mayo and melted havarti) and the Diving Buffalo (homemade fried chicken, buffalo sauce, Maytag bleu cheese crumble, celery and fresh mozzarella), to name only two.

The menu also includes a similar variety of pasta dishes and 17 differently topped French fries selections including the surprisingly good Bayou (drawn butter, bayou spices, fresh garlic, mozzarella and parsley).

When you go, don't be put-off by the fact that it's a tiny place (maybe six tables or so) about a block from the AC boardwalk, in the shadow of the closed Revel Casino Hotel, in a neighborhood that has more vacant lots than buildings. It doesn't look like much, but it's perfectly safe, and you'll be sooooo rewarded by the incredible food when you get there.

I've been going there for years but never thought to write a review until yesterday. I was sitting at an open table waiting for takeout and I heard the couple at the next table (from out of town) talking with some lunching utility workers (also from out of town) that they wouldn't have known to come here except for TripAdvisor, and they all said how thrilled they were to find it! I thought I owed it to the owner, Mike, and the long-time friendly staff to write my own review. [I don't know Mike personally, it's not like I'm writing a review of a friend's place, but I have spoken with him, as well as seen him on TV, and he strikes me as a genuinely good guy.]

This was a long review, I know, but its length serves two purposes: it shows you how much I love the food and respect the effort, and it also prepares you for reading the very long menu. :-)

2  Thank CleveRocks