“Fun trip but thin walls!”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York
“Fun trip but thin walls!”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I and a friend stayed at the Water Club in July and were comped a room at the Borgota for 2 nights so we thought that we would try it to compare. The room is very similar to the Water Club with a few exceptions: No flat screen TV, no mini bar (but it had an empty fridge), no rainfall shower or shower massager, no desk or couch (but it had two chairs and was better for room service.) Overall, the room was very nice- almost not worth paying extra to stay at the Water Club. The real complaint that I had was the thin walls! You could hear everything not only in the rooms on each side of you, but accross the hall also! It is one thing to hear someone who is being loud, but I could hear every word of the conversation of the people next door and they were not speaking loudly. I heard explicit details of their late night romp also! How embarassing!

I would stay here again, but I certainly would be careful of what I do and say while in my room!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We planned ti stay in Borgata for 2 days for my Husband's birthday. On our first night there we were bitten by bed bugs. We could not believe in what was happening! My leg and arms had huge bytes and when I called the Housekeeping they sent Security to our room (like the security guy would able to escort bed bugs out of the room). I was taken to the medical office where it was confirmed that that were bed bugs' bytes. I kept asking everybody were they aware of that problem before or it was the first incident. Everybody including the Manager of the Customer Service were denying personal knowledge of the problem. All we were offered was transfer to another room, as of bed bugs just contained to one room. We refused to move to any other room and left the hotel that morning! What a beautiful birthday we had! But the worse part that they keep checking people into infestated rooms and keep spreading these creatures around! They do not take any measures to cure the problem and do not offer any compensation to people who got bitten not to mention about moral and psychological damage.

31 Thank faust2007
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We booked our room on the suggestion of friends. Overall, it was a nice stay. The weather was awful while we were there, but even if it were nice there wasn't a whole lot of outside space to explore or do anything for that matter. The indoor pool was over-taken by young children and the Water Tower indoor pool was crammed. I am a staunch non-smoker and that might be quite an oxymoron for a casino, but it is what it is. The smoking odor in the main hallways along the first/check-in floor is unescapable. The casino is designed such that the smoking section of slot machines greet you as you enter from the parking garage. While walking to the hotel restaurants in the hotel, the smoking odor pervades. You just can't escape the smoking odor at this hotel while on the main floor, and as a result I won't stay at this hotel again.

We did go to the V-Variety show at the Trump Plaza and took a cab from the Borgata to the Trump. The Trump gaming floor air quality was much better. There was a designated smoking lounge and the smoking slot machine area was off the main walkways. I enjoyed the nonsmoking blackjack tables. I have no ideas what the rooms look like at Trump. Our room at the Borgata was very nice, had a good sleep, and the shower was nice, though the glass door wasn't sealed properly and water leaked all over the floor.

All-in-all my experience at Borgata was just OK. I would not stay here again because of the smokey atmosphere and will try other locations in the future.

11 Thank cityheights
Woodstown, NJ
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I writing this to hopefully help someone else avoid the mistake I made. I went to the Borgata for my 10 wedding anniversary. I assumed that higest price would equal highest quality. Wrong. Where do I start, the checking line was 35 minutes. When we got to the room it smelled like smoke ev though it was a non-smoking room. The rug was stained and there was food debris on the floor. The sheets had either mold or mascara on them and the blanket (if you can call it that) was a cheap, thin, sorry excuse. Our view was of the roof of another building. We later ordered room service and they brought 1/2 the order. Perhaps the most annoying thing about my stay was the staff. My politely bringing any of these problems to their attention was either met with an eye roll, out and out laughter, or the statement "that isnt my department", not once did I feel like any of them cared one tiny bit that I was actually embarassed for having brought my wife there. Never again will I stay at the Borgata. We ended up going to another property and having a great time.

12 Thank Mike3322
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2010

The Borgata is nice but in my opinion very overpriced. The rooms are ok...but nothing great and I'm not really sure what all the hoopla is about this place. It is much nicer than most other hotels in Atlantic City but too pricey. Think I would put the money to good use in another spot.
Saw a great show...but it was mayhem when it was time to exit!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Linda0813
New York
Reviewed 10 August 2010

While the Borgata is in my opinion the nicest casino in Atlantic City, there still are many changes and improvements that could and should be made. First of all, their standard check out time is 11:00 AM, while at every other casino it is 12/noon. And, if you want to request a late check-out, giving you only 1 additional hour, you must call customer care to have a rep check and see how much you have gambled, in order to determine if you have earned that extra hour or not.

Speaking of gambling, while their slots do seem somewhat looser than most, (especially Harrahs who have the tightest slots in AC) accumulating comp and slot dollars here will cost you more. I wouldn’t mind that so much, but what irritates me, as a Black Label member is that their exclusive lounge, the Amphora, charges an additional $10 comp dollars per person for entry! (While Harrahs has the most complaints of any casino, at least Diamond members, the equivalent of Black Label, can visit any Diamond Lounge without being charged.) Perhaps the Borgata feels the justification for the charge is in order due to the higher quality food and alcohol served?

As far as standard rooms, while all are nice, they are beginning to show wear and tear. Especially strange are the very old, outdated TV sets they have, flat screens are only found in premium rooms.

While you can bring your laptop to their living room and surf the net for free, there is a charge for internet/WIFI service in your room. ALso, there is a charge to use the fitness room. Both are ludicrous to me in this day and age, when almost all standard chain hotels offer both free of charge.

I would recommend the Borgata over all other casino/hotels in AC, but that doesn’t mean it is without flaws. In addition to the above issues, I want to state that the rooms and restaurants are very expensive, and in my opinion overpriced. This isn’t Vegas, so for those thinking and expecting that the Borgata will offer the closest experience to a luxury Las Vegas casino/hotel in Atlantic City, please think again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
14 Thank NYgurl
USA
Reviewed 8 August 2010

My stay at the Borgata was just ok, nothing special, and it certainly wasn't on par with the upscale Vegas hotels, in my opinion. I thought the Tropicana had more of a Vegas style hotel, big casino feel to it than the Borgata, but customer service at the Trop is terrible to non-existent. If the Trop had the same wonderful customer service as the Borgata, I would rather stay there. I also prefer Harrah's to the Borgata because their indoor adult pool with retractable roof is totally awesome, and it includes a restaurant with tables serving food and beverage, and beverage service at the pool.

Pros: Speedy/early check-in, good customer service, nice room and shower, nice room views of Atlantic City skyline, good security at elevator banks, comedy club.

Cons: Small indoor pool full of kids, no snack bar or drinks at outdoor lounge area next to indoor pool, small casino.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family