“Tropicana is in Bankruptcy”

Tropicana Atlantic City
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Our group of 46 people arrived at the Tropicana on March 4. We eventually learned that the Tropicana is in bankruptcy and is being taken over by the state of New Jersey. Our bus arrived at approximately 3 pm, and we were told that we could NOT have our room keys until 5 pm...they were not ready. We wandered around the casino for two hours with hand luggage and our coats on. By the time we were settled in our rooms it was 5:30. Our luggage, however, which was supposed to be delivered to our room, did not arrive until after 6. So we ended up hanging around our room until our luggage arrived. We do NOT smoke and yet ended up in a SMOKING room on the 36th floor. We considered changing rooms, but decided not to because there was so much hassle getting into our room in the first place. and we were afraid our luggage would end up lost if we switched.

We asked several employees how to get to the West Tower from the transportation center. Only one knew. We walked round and round lost. No maps were given to us when we arrived, and people ended up wasting time trying to figure out how to find places.

We went to the Fiesta buffet for dinner.and breakfast. ...a huge quantity of food but the food was not prepared well. Hair in the food too. Carmine's restaurant was good but way overpriced. Pasta entrees ran $28 to $32, and other entrees tan as high as $42.

The staff was cut drastically due to the bankruptcy. Hence the place was not clean. We learned that the Fiesta buffet would close the day after we ate there, and would not reopen until the late spring. Many employees had such indifferent looks on their faces. Probably not a good place for them to work in.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a NON-SMOKING ROOM.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
13  Thank Judy D
TropicanaAC, Director of Marketing at Tropicana Atlantic City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at the Tropicana. We really appreciate it.

First, please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you might of experienced during your March 4th stay with us. The issues you describe are not the norm here at the Tropicana Casino & Resort. I have passed your comments on to our Senior Management Team. I can assure you that they will get to the bottom of your complaint.

As far as the Bankruptcy claim. I am sorry for any misinformation you might of received. Tropicana Casino & Resort is not in Bankruptcy. We are part of Tropicana Entertainment Inc. who owns and operates nine casinos and resorts in Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey and Aruba. Tropicana Entertainment properties collectively have 5,750 rooms, 8,300 slot positions and 240 table games.

In closing, thanks again for your review. We hope that you will give us an opportunity to host you again the next time you visit Atlantic City.

Sincerely, David B

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Staff at the fiesta buffet are very friendly and helpful. I love my VIP rep Ms C. Burke, very accommodating and extremely friendly.Self parking is great

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TERESITAMorganville
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I just got back from my visit to the Tropicana. I stayed 2 nights. Everything was great again. Make sure you get your Diamond Club card and use it while you are gambling. You will receive offers througout the year for future visits. Checkin was smooth. Be nice to the staff and you will be rewarded. My room was in the Havanna Towers. One suggestion, if you stay in this tower, have a rolling suitcase. It is a long walk from checkin. The room was clean. No problems. Casino was great. Just wish they would open more tables when the others are full. Boardwalk and beach looked nicer and cleaner than I remember. Couldn't of been happier, comped room, free breakfast, free valet parking, and more money in my pocket than I arrived with.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

During a recent business trip I stayed at the Tropicana Casino and Resort. I have to say I was quite surprised. Being my first trip to Atlantic City, I was under the impression that it would be the less attractive sister of Las Vegas. You know the one who always comes up a bit short in the game of life and never really met expectations because nothing was expected of them. Consider myself corrected!! It’s a very busy city with a new boardwalk scene and looked to be quite nice. Again, no Las Vegas but will certainly consider a second trip.

The casino and resort part of the Tropicana was extremely nice. I would find it comparable to the Shops at the Mandalay Bay... only smaller. There was a lot of action each night and they had many restaurants and bars to choose from. Considering that I was there for a conference, this was great feature as the group never left the grounds.

I was very disappointed with the accommodations. While the casino and other resort areas are 4 star, the rooms are a disappointing 2. I have to tell you, when you walk though the casino and past the subsequent shops you get the feeling that the rooms are going to be equally as nice. Nope... very old and dated, and I question the cleanliness. The carpet and decor has been there forever and the bathroom simply had a dirty look. If you have ever stayed at the Tropicana in Las Vegas (that old South Beach look) it is not that. In fact, I understand that they are managed by two different companies. Let me be fair, this is by far not the worst place I have ever stayed. However, when compared to the rest of the resort it falls way, way short.

All that said would I visit the Trop again? Sure, the rates are reasonable and there is plenty to do. If you go have a good time and enjoy the views, the resort sits on the boardwalk. Good Luck!!!

Room Tip: The floors are numbered very oddly. I stayed on the 53rd floor although the floors do not go that h...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank MRJKY
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The staff make everything more fun. They are helpful, friendly, and usually have a great sense of humor. They definitely made me feel like a welcomed guest.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed at the Tropicana for 3 nights and had an excellent time. The rooms were spacious and our room had a side view of the ocean. One great thing about the Trop is that when you're not gambling, they have a great shopping/restaurant area similar to the Las Vegas hotels. The "Talk of the Walk" has recently relocated there - great store! Of course, the Boardwalk is ALWAYS #1 on the list, as well as the outlets! The hotel and casino staff were great and I'd return there again!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view; if they have it, they'll oblige!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Tropicana Is The Number One Casino To Go Too! They Have The Best Entertainment Than Any Other Casino I Been To. I Never Had Any Problems When It Came To Booking A Room Or Upgrading My Room. The Rooms Are Great Along With The Service. I Never Had Problems With Self Parking. I Must Say Out Of All The Casino's In Atlantic City I Always Go Back To Tropicana. The Night Life @ Tropicana Is So Live. Its Exciting To Meet Different People @ The Different Clubs Or Bars. I Love It!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple