All reviews hot water budget hotel double room poor wifi clean rooms santa cruz one night stay per night free drinking water stayed here for nights your luggage darwin center tortuga bay hammocks tv puerto receptionist
Reviewed July 12, 2018

We booked a 3 person room at the walk-in rate with this hotel based on a referral from another traveler. The price was very good, the air was cold and the location was excellent. It gets very noisy at times so you have to run the air conditioner to drown out the noise when you want to sleep. The other downside is that the wifi is useless. It is supposed to work in the lobby, but I couldn't get it to work even when I was the only one there. They tell you its bad all over the islands, but this was by far the worst I experienced.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor so if you don't like stairs speak up before they assign you a room because this place is huge.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2018

My fiancé and I came to the Galapagos on a budget looking to book all of our tours and lodging last-minute. After searching around town for over an hour, we decided on España for our stay and booked three nights. The place was so nice we ended up staying a total of five nights.

The place is branded as a "hostel" on the outside, but it's much more of a hotel. Our room had it's own bathroom and shower and was cleaned daily. The hostel, like it's rooms, is very clean, generally quiet, and very comfortable. We used the kitchen every day and there was always hot water available for tea/coffee. The price and location were both pretty much as good as it gets in Puerto Ayora, so we came out with no buyers remorse.

The only thing lacking was the wifi... but from what I understand the wifi sucks across every establishment on the island, so I can't blame that on España.

Plus, Daniel, the receptionist that was literally always there, handled all of our requests quickly and diligently. It was nice having someone around who spoke perfect English and knew the islands in and out.

In short, I'd recommend España over any hostel OR hotel on the islands. It truly was a home for us for a week.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed May 30, 2018 via mobile

I cannot speak enough about Hotel Espana. I recently brought my mother and father to the Galapagos. The staff at Hotel Espana went above and beyond for us. They made us feel like we were a part of their family. From the receptionists, to the maids, to the owner of the hotel, everyone went above and beyond to make our stay very special. I have stayed in many places in the Galapagos and this hotel is by far the cleanest i have ever seen, you can literally eat off the floor it is so clean. My mother and father have been all over the world and said “this place was the best they ever experienced”. I cannot wait to come back again! Hotel Espana is the reason why i keep coming back to the Galapagos!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night before going on a cruise around the islands. The staff were not rude but they were not overly friendly either. The rooms were ok size, nice hot showers. The WiFi was not good anywhere in the Galapagos. I booked a last minute tour at the tour agency opposite. Very expensive compared to the rest of Ecuador.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

Our tour company booked this hotel and it was fine. I am not sure who put bar/lounge in this TA listing but there isn’t any bar. Good things: the room was very clean and the A/C worked great which was really my main concern. Also there was a community fridge, pure water available, and hammocks in the common area. The location is excellent as it is off the main road so far enough away from the hustle but close enough to be very convenient for accessing dock and restaurants
Bad things: our room was quiet, but up a lot of stairs and no one bothers to ask if you need help getting your luggage up so be aware you are on your own and ask for lower room if this is a problem. No coffee, no amenities other than a bar of soap daily that is the size of a small chocolate.
The kitchen area didn’t smell good and didn’t look very clean and was busy. The common area—was hot and stuffy and not particularly the quiet restful afternoon hangout that I had hoped for. There is no hairdryer to use as well. This falls into a hostel more than a hotel in my opinion.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family