All reviews the main street great location interesting architecture santa cruz fish market view of the bay hot water rooms are basic restaurants and bars hotel staff the air conditioning fresh fruit top floor within walking distance would stay here again stayed nights every morning
Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

If I could give more than 5 stars for this place I would! While in Galápagos I fell and hurt my ankle. Ended up in a cast. The staff here went above and beyond to make sure my trip was not ruined! They moved us rooms to a bottom floor with handicap accessible room, were kind and brought food to our room the next day since I could not get around easily and to top it all
Off showed up with a boot and a pair of crutches to my room so I could get around! Surprisingly enough the island does not have crutches anywhere, even the hospital didn’t have any. So they went and found me some that night and had it by morning so I could get around. I was so moved that my trip was not ruined and was able to get about the island after that!

Also the rooms had nice views, there was AC, big beds, and amazing people!

It is in a perfect location so you can just walk out a block and you are on the main strip, close to the water taxi and can get to any island from there. They know the guides well so the hotel Contacted them for us when we needed more info on times to arrive for excursions.

They also have a water station so you can fill up your water bottle at any time, since water is not drinkable on the island.

I can’t give this place enough praise :)

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed February 19, 2018

We were here as part of our Galapagos tour for several nights. The staff is so wonderful and the hotel is situated on a street away from the main drag. Rooms were basic, but very nice and ours had a balcony. We also went to the top floor to find a beautiful terrace with a view, but no chairs or tables there. The hot water is spotty especially when tour groups are getting ready for an early morning departure so get your shower in as early as possible or wait for mid-morning. Wi-fi is spotty but okay.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2018

We chose to stay land based (instead of doing a cruise) during our stay in the Galapagos that included many day trips and lots of adventure. We chose to stay at Hotel Mainao during the entirety of our stay and I am glad that we did. For us, it was nice to have somewhere familiar and comfortable to come back to every night (and nap when we needed it!). The hotel itself is extremely cute and creative, the staff was friendly, and they provided a delicious breakfast and water refill station. I highly recommend staying with them during your stay in the Galapagos!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2018

I stayed at Hotel Mainao December 29th and 30th, 2017. This hotel is run by two sisters who are no nonsense and seamlessly provide you with their Santa Cruz hospitality. The beds are comfortable, the entire hotel is spacious and clean. Elegant and quirky mosaics abound across the entire property. Request a balcony room or the romantic turret space and channel your Galapagos Goddess! Towels provided for the beach and plenty of fresh water to refill one's bottle. Easy two minute walk to the port, restaurants, bars, and jewelry shops. Hearty fresh breakfast included.

Room Tip: The turret room or request a balcony
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2017

The hotel staff makes you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. Having a room on a higher floor makes all the difference--the view of the bay and sunrise are beautiful. We felt as though the Gaudi influences really made the hotel, and the mosaics were beautiful. The rooms are basic, but who goes to the Galapagos to spend time in the room?! The short stroll to town provides a view into the local lives of Ecuadorians--local bogateras, pets in the street and charm that may be a bit too "local" for some, but we really enjoyed seeing this part of Puerto Ayora.

Room Tip: Higher floors for views.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple