“Wish there was a 3.5 rating”
Review of Dahab Resort

Dahab Resort
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Dahab
Reviewed 17 November 2009

We usually don’t stay in American chain properties when overseas, but took a chance on the Hilton Dahab, and it paid off for the most part - with a few drawbacks. It's a beautiful property with a great beach and large pool area, and while the rooms were basic they each had covered terraces with hammocks that I loved. We did have some problems with the A/C in one of the upstairs rooms that resulted in an unbearably hot night; the lower rooms seemed naturally much cooler.

Pros:
- Excellent dive center (Sinai Divers) on-site
- Great beach and pool area
- Large terraces with hammocks for many rooms
- Massive breakfasts
- The Italian restaurant had surprisingly good food, good service, and was relatively reasonably priced

Cons:
- Somewhat useless front desk staff
- Top floor rooms can be much too warm, even with A/C on full blast
- Bedrooms and bathrooms rather basic for the price
- Attention to detail in room cleaning was lacking (e.g. large dust bunny in closet)
- Downtown Dahab isn’t really within walking distance, and the hotel wasn’t operating a shuttle when we were there, leaving us at the mercy of local taxi drivers (make sure you know the correct price before you go, and agree on the price before you get in) – for many folks, though, you might never really need to leave the property

Tips:
- The hotel next door has proper Thai food (a nice break from the hummous/kebab routine), staffed by at least one bona fide Thai person. If the actual (tiny) Thai restaurant isn’t open, the casual open air café near the beach has the Thai menu available.
- The bar above the dive center was a nice place for sundowners, with good views of the sunset and the best service we found amongst the hotel’s various bar options.

2  Thank JenneP

Reviewed 3 November 2009

Perfect for windsurfers. Nice hotel. Nice food, Nice peoples, Nice beaches, Everything was great!

Stayed: October 2009
1  Thank KaiCB
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I booked the Hilton on a late deal looking for sun and activity and wasn’t disappointed. I wanted to take my PADI open water scuba course and the Hotel has a Dive centre on site

Flew out of Robin Hood Airport (Doncaster) one of the newer small charter airports. It was really easy to park although getting through checkout and security took a while as the flight was early morning and they only had 1 scanner active!

Arriving in Sharm airport was no problem for me. As I had organised my own transfer I had to look for the company who arranged it. Just make sure you get this sorted before leaving the terminal building as you cant get back in!!

The Hilton lived up to my expectations. The reception staff were very friendly & I was given an upgrade to a deluxe room which as others have said is closer to the lagoons or beach and has a hammock and terrace. If you have a Hilton HHonors card make sure you let them know as this is what got me my upgrade. The rooms were clean and spacious with good air conditioning and amenities. I went All Inclusive and this worked well for me. For a small additional cost all my drinks (including bottled water which you would have to buy otherwise) were included and a midday meal. The food is good and there is a reasonable variety though nothing too exciting.

Internet access is expensive. Wi-fi is available around the reception (Bar and seating area) but limited to wired access in room. There are terminals available near to the Fitness room. Don't expect anything too zippy.

As I was traveling alone I wanted plenty to do other than just enjoy the sun and beach. Dahab and the Red Sea has some of the best Diving in the world hence why I went there to get my open water qualification. The Dive Centre at the Hotel is Sinai Divers. An excellent set up I was very impressed. Friendly knowledgeable staff, fantastic diving, good value courses, the best way to get your PADI qualifications (better than a freezing cold lake at home)

The beach has excellent water sports facilities, water skiing, donuts, wind surfing for me this is paradise. I heard good things about the quad bike tour, though I didn't get time to do it people I met had.

My favourite day out was a Trip arranged through HIKE DAHAB. Mady MacDonald, one of the dive instructors at Sinai Divers, runs the tours. You can book through the dive centre if you don't see Mady. For anyone wanting to experience the best snorkeling in the area without the crowds, eat fantastic traditionally cooked food en route in great company then this is the day for you. The pace is easy, you only need a pair of trainers (& something to swim in of course) all the food is cooked along the way by local Bedouin and was simply the best food I had to eat all week. Take plenty of water though you will get local tea at the stops along the way. The Snorkeling was breathtaking and we had plenty of time to spend taking in all the life on the reefs and it never felt rushed. The day ends back at the well know diving and snorkeling site of Blue Hole. Finishing the day with a snorkel from Bells to Blue Hole was stunning. Highly recommended, check out their website

To cap it all I Still managed to spend time enjoying the sun on the beach. This is my perfect holiday experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dahab and the Hilton to anyone who wants sun and activity. Fantastic for the solo traveler, adventurous couples and groups of friends.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank lcfctom
Reviewed 3 October 2009

We always read reviews so that we can pick up on any tips, so hopefully someone will find this review useful.
Flight
Monarch 300, penned in like a cattle truck. Managed to get the two seat set-up at the rear of the plane on the way back and this was much more spacious. Unfortunately, half way through the return flight, the3 toilets for 300 people were smelling worse that Twickenham on International day. Well done Monarch. And why don't their female attendants ever smile?
Arrival
Panic and confusion as we were not on Thomas Cook's list, but subsequently found that we were booked with Neilson as TC don't have many customers to Dahab. We should have checked the small print on the paperwork, our fault, not theirs.
Pleasant journey to Hotel and excellent greeting from Reception staff, with cold flannels. Quickly checked in (completed registration forms on coach, well done Neilson).
Room
We had managed to negotiate a suite as a booking incentive and were not disappointed. In fact we would have considered upgrading anyway. Always cleaned well and great attention from cleaner and his supervisor. Rooms large but a little bit tired but everything worked and no problems.
Pool/Beach
Pool is small, clean and as previous reviews have said, poor and slightly dangerous paving area. Attendant excellent. Not sure how it would cope at peak time. Very few Europeans used pool during our stay, which meant easy access to beds. However, there were a number of Egyptian families who seem to travel in large groups and who took over the pool for about 3 days. They were only enjoying themselves, and were not destructive or drunk, just very, very noisey. Even the hotel staff found it tiresome and apologised for the noise. But you find somewhere else to laze. The beach is small but sandy and the sea clear and good for swimming. Ok to snorkle in the roped off area. Windsurfers everywhere and if you want to learn how, or practice your skills, this is the place to be.
Restaurant
Breakfast excellent, freshly cooked eggs/pancakes etc. Good range of breads/pastries/fruits. As we were on half board, we had dinner in the buffet restaurant. Disappointed with choice and quality. No fresh fish or meat cooked on grill. "You can use the Fish Restaurant at extra cost" we were told, but that,s not the point!! We're on the Red Sea after all. No tea/coffee/water at dinner, unless purchased. Asian and Egyptian nights were good. It depends what you are used to, but in our view, this was not 5*, but 3*. We were asked to complete 3 surveys - at the Manager's cocktail party (new Manager), by the pool, and an email request on our return, so they are aware of their shortcomings and are looking to improve.
Entertainment
Had local performers on 4 nights of 7 in the Courtyard, good but only for 30mins, so after that you had to find your own entertainment(TV/ snooker), which was a shame as the Courtyard was cool and relaxing.
Conclusion
Positives - location, beach, staff(excellent), rooms, cleanliness,breakfast
Room for inprovement - restaurant lunch/dinner, cost of drinks(so buy locally or take your own), entertainment.
If you want to windsurf/sail/dive this is an excellent resort. For a restful holiday, it's very good, just avoid the Coconut bar in the evenings, unless you like garage music at full blast. Our 10th trip to Egypt, not the best, but near the top.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2009

After a stressful exit from Sharm airport where we spent nearly two hours trying to get through passport control because around six flights had arrived at the same time, and where people were getting frustrated and arguing because of the horrendous queuing system (people pushing in and starting their own queues from existing queues!), we had a relatively nice week at this hotel.

Most of the staff are lovely, friendly and can’t do enough for you but some who look after the reception desk were a little rude and I found it difficult to believe some of the things we were being told. For example, on arrival we were allocated a double room even though we had booked a twin. We were told our option was to have a room next to a disco, to take one that didn’t have a terrace or to take the double one (I was sharing with my brother). We were told there were no other rooms; standard, deluxe nor suites that could be offered. We were told we could move the next day so we agreed to take the one near the disco. The next day we went to reception ready to change room and we were told there were no rooms left. The member of staff said he had been calling our room all morning so he could offer us an alternative room but he couldn’t reach us so now they’ve all been taken. When I told him we’d been in the room all morning he claimed that there must be a problem with our phone – the phone was working fine and so was the answer phone. In the end we gave up and kept the room we were given because we were made to feel like we were being a nuisance by some of the receptionists.

The hotel has a car/transport company based within the reception area that can arrange excursions for you and offer a taxi service. Whilst checking in I heard a couple ask the receptionist how much a taxi into town was; they were told 15EP per person. This was using the company based in the hotel but there are local taxis just outside the hotel who charge between 10 and 15EP for the taxi so worth doing unless it’s just you.

We had a standard room which was clean and comfortable – the bathrooms do need upgrading but they were clean and made the best of. There are three types of accommodation; standard, deluxe and suites. The only difference between standard and deluxe rooms is that the latter have hammocks and are closer to the beach – other than that, they are exactly the same. The beach area tends to get very busy during the day so a standard room suited fine.

The grounds are really pretty and although you can’t swim in the lagoons (what people often seem to confuse for swimming pools from brochure photos) they give a lovely tranquil feel to the place.

The hotel has a few shops and a bank onsite. Be mindful of the price lists at the spa which is located next to the bank upstairs. Even though you will be presented with a price list, prices are negotiable! I was told that the price for a massage was 380EP and when some friends asked a little while later, they were told 300EP for the same treatment (around £9 difference!). There are cheaper options in town.

The food in the hotel is ok – it’s not great, but perhaps a safer option to eating in town if you have a sensitive tummy. We only ate at the hotel once – the atmosphere in town is lovely in the evening and it’s definitely worth giving it a go. The restaurateurs do hassle a little as do the shopkeepers but humouring them and swiftly walking on by works. You can also ask the taxi driver to drop you off at the Lighthouse which takes you to the end of the Masbat high street area, avoiding some of the hassle.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Tia66
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Where do I start?

Just returned from 14 days of total relaxation, at the DAHAB HILTON. I fail to see how anyone, can criticise any one of the staff. From the minute we arrived late Sunday evening, till we left, the staff were the most friendly and helpful we have ever met and we have visited Egypt a number of times.
We were met on arrival by the Bellboy (Ahmed), who took us to reception, where we met the smiling reception staff. (Still waiting for your e mails lads). We were given a cold welcome drink and iced towel, which was much appreciated and a nice touch. Checked in within 5 minutes and taken to the room by the bellboy, who carried our cases and he explained all the workings in the room, plus the fact he was there for any of our needs. Nice to find tea and coffee in the room, with kettle, plus an ironing board and iron. Also a plug in mosquito killer. Don’t see that too often?
On the room, we had a “Superior room” (Robin and Sandra) which had the hammock and 2 single beds, although we would have preferred a double bed.
Had a cockroach one day and man came and sprayed the room within 30 minutes. Next day we were asked if all was ok. We mentioned seeing ants and a man was dispatched again to spray the room. The room has doors you can leave open as it has mesh doors to keep the flies out.
The rooms are clean and tidy, but looking a bit tired. I hear they are due to be refurbished soon. Cleaner in everyday and made sure our room was ok for us. Always checked it was up to standard.

Breakfast is served buffet style in the restaurant, but I personally found it all very disappointing. They advertise the “Hilton breakfast” as being famous for choice, but as they appeared slow in refilling the buffet, which meant I couldn’t try the choice available. The omelette man was rushed of his feet at times, due to the amount of people in for breakfast at the same time. The place seemed too small for the amount of people wanting to be fed. We found if we waited a bit longer (0915 - 0930) it wasn’t too bad. There seemed to be a shortage of waiting staff also. My wife ordered poached eggs one day and despite ordering them 3 times, she is till waiting!!! Must remember to go back for her one day. Lots of flies also, which spoilt my breakfast. We were B and B, so cant make comment on evening meals.
The whole resort is geared for active holidays, windsurfing is very big. Diving and cycling etc
The pool staff were the best we have ever met. Checked everything was ok, several times a day, without being to overbearing. They had some noisy guests, which they kept apologising for, but I tried to explain that it wasn’t that fault. The barman (Ahmed who is getting married this week)) came round offering to get you drinks and food. If you show any interest in speaking any of the language, they are more than willing to teach you. Some of the phrases came in very handy. (Thanks Mustafa who had his wife visiting) Towels were put on the beds for us and pillows before we arrived. As we are pool people cant comment on the beach, but the same staff moved around both areas. These staff were really appreciated.
Pool was a bit small for the size of the hotel. It as also cold when you got in, but we understand moves may be afoot to heat the pool. One criticism was the standard of the surround. The paving blocks were very uneven and sharp in places. This was pointed out to staff and they re assure us, this is hand to be repaired over the winter months. The shower at the pool was broken and they dug it up. Couldn’t fix it, so sort of put the flooring back down, again leaving uneven floor. I accept this this is the Egyptian way, but may cause problems for some people.
On the staff issues, we were even invited to a private party with them to celebrate a wedding. How much friendlier can they be???
No one comes round bothering you for trips. If you want to do any trips, there are people on the beach, or a girl in reception. I found them to be very cheap and the boat trip we did only had 4 people on it. Very relaxing. I understand the hotel want you to have a relaxing holiday and don’t allow you to be hassled by sales type people.
There is a mosquito issue. We were bit to pieces. No one sprays the complex, which we have seen done in other hotels.

Eating out.
We were and B and B so had to eat out on the evening.
Bit hassled in town as they all want your business in the shops and restaurants.
As we are all different I wont recommend anywhere.
We went to Ali Babas. It was great. We left completely stuffed and only spent £17 for the 2 of us.
Staff were great and food very very very good. (They know who I am now)
Bear in mind, most don’t sell alcohol, but allow you to take it in. Wine still starts at around £20 for rubbish!
The Kitchen is a Thai, Chinese, Indian restaurant. Nice clean surroundings and nice food. Again, not expensive.
We used the Italian and the fish restaurant in the hotel on a few occasions. Food was really nice and comparable in price to the town

On prices, if you walk out of the hotel, onto the main road, turn left, walk for about 10 mins, there is a local shop. Water is only about 20p compared to £1.20 in Hotel and big bottle coke about 60p compared to can of Pepsi in Hotel for £1.20

You can catch local taxis outside hotel for about £1 - £1.50 or Bedouin pick ups for about £1 into town, or get hotel air conditioned taxi for £2.

All in all, we had great holiday, but bear in mind, if you have been to Sharm, this is a totally different place and if you want beer and chips, it may not be for you.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

After the initial realisation that the photos in the brochure had given a false impression of the swimming pool area (ie lots of water features throughout the hotel grounds, but only one mid-size pool that you're able to actually use!), we settled in to what is a nice, clean and quiet hotel.

Part of a very long stretch of sandy beach offering a large amount of windsurfing facilities, is attached and close to all rooms . Not sure how the size of the pool and the stretch of beach belonging to the Hilton copes during a more popular season?? Be aware - we were asked to pay the equivalent of £10 p day per beach lounger when we wanted to use one at the front of another hotel - closer to the where my husband was Windsurfing. Would have saved embarrassment if this info was readily available on arrival !!!

Glad I took my own hairdryer as the one in the bathroom wasn't really powerful enough (and I only have short hair). Would have benefitted from being informed before we went that coffee and tea facilities as well as an ironing board and iron were provided in the room. We took our own travel iron and kettle, which we didn't need and considering the luggage restrictions these days, this would have saved weight and space!

Some 'nice' critical none essentials (ie small toiletries in bathroom) not really necessary as people take their own don't they? Better replaced by something useful (ie a hammock on the patio area), that only some rooms had . . . . . .

The majority of staff are courteous and attentive. The food is the usual buffet style, offering a repetitive menu, although of 'quite' good quality.