“This is superb value for money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites

Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites
Ranked #93 of 229 Hotels in Hurghada
Germany
“This is superb value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We spent a few days at this property around the middle of November.
First and fourmost,I cannot believe the review posted by someone on the 20th of October,criticising the Ivory Tower Suites. The person who wrote it, must have a problem with life in general, it seems. They are obviously picking up on every point they can,and for me they are totally untrue. They must live in a devine castle amongst the galaxies, I think.
"BUT THERES ALWAYS ONE THAT YOU CANT SATISFY",springs to mind here. Ok I will put the record straight. Absolute first class service from everyone here. Smiling faces everywhere,excellent spacious rooms with balconies. Good restaurant service . Spotlessly
clean everywhere.Ten out of ten in every dept. We had a problem,which was nothing at all to do with the hotel,and I asked for advice,from the reception manager "Mahmoud",and the general manager "Mr Ashraf". These two gentlemen are different class,and they helped us through a difficult situation,with their professionalism and integrity. Once again I wish to thank them both once again..We would have thanked you earlier guys,but we encountered a log in fault on trip advisor. Rest assured,you will not get many better places to stay in Hurghada,and at a ridiculously low price. Unless of course you happen to live in a castle somewhere in the universe !!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are well appointed
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GermanyBlade

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We too had been on Sea Serpent the week after the Dublin group (20 Oct review) and our experience could not be more different in this hotel. We were given a very warm welcome and our bags were taken to our rooms very quickly. All the staff were extremely friendly and obliging. We were a 50% mixed group and we females had none of the experiences the other group complained about.

After sharing tiny cabins for a week, the rooms felt luxurious and it was good to be in a hotel which was not too big so we felt important as individuals and cared for. The hotel was very clean and well set out.

The pool, although small was adequate, with shade and sun depending on your preferences and we spent our remaining morning relaxing and swimming there.

We were able to extend our stay to 6pm the following evening for 15 euros per room which from all our previous experiences on other liveaboard trips was an absolute bargain.

The location was only 10 mins walk from the main beach and shopping area.

I can not thank the staff and the manager enough for their attention, friendliness and helpfulness. They went beyond what could be asked for and really cared that we had a good stay. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank PatE163
Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

really i loved this hotel, i stay in it twice and will repeat it when i visit hurghada at any time\
their is no stuff work in the hotel, but their is good friends assist you with smile anytime
the food is so good
the hotel clean
i feel that i want live in this hotel not oy stay in it in the vacations only
special thanks for mahmoud, he is very very very helpfull person and he doesnot hesitate to assist or help you at anything you need\
realy i miss all of you
thanks, mr. ashraf the general manager
thanks mohsen, mena, reda and mahmoud again :)
thanks chef mahmoud whoes cook delecious food
i loved this hotel
do not hesitate to stay in it in your vacation, they will make your trip more than you cam emagin
yasmine adel

Room Tip: all rooms are perfect
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Yasmine_a_14
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I spent a week at Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites Hotel in Hurghada. My Expectations have been exceeded, even those lofty ones. For the second I walked through the door I felt incredibly welcomed and pampered. I have stayed in numerous hotels all over the world but I have never seen such spacious, well furnished and comfortable rooms for these prices. The best value for money ever. The service there was the best I have ever come across, people there are very kind and they do everything to make your stay perfect. Last but not least, the location was not the best but it was good enough! I will definitely come back for my next stay in Hurghada.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank THERISK946
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

We spent a glorious week on the Sea Serpent diving and unfortunately ended up in the Ivory Suites for the last night. There were 13 of us in the group. We had dinner and breakfast inc on the boat so that is what we got at the hotel too.

Check in was ok, but they said we couldnt stay longer than the check out time of noon the following day so we left if til then to discuss it.

Dinner was appalling. Truly awful. Picture a dining room with just us in it. Surly waiters who never asked the women what they wanted, just their partners !..Starters were buffet style and there was soup also. The main courses were horrible. The waiters did not even tempt us with wine or beer, we had to ask for the beers eventually. There were 13 of us willing to spend extra on beer but they couldnt get rid of us quickly enough. We sat down at 7.30 and by 8.30-9 they were clearing the tables so we went out for a walk. Breakfast the following morning was only a tiny bit better.

Rooms are basic. big but with handles that dont work well. locks that dont work either, doors had scuff marks all over them. No toiletries. Air con was ok. View was of the road and half built buildings.

Pool area is tiny. most of it gets no sun at all...only glimpses. the only views from this hotel are of unfinished broken buidlings, bit like Beirut to be honest and yes I have been there.

The following day we asked for a late check out as the bus was not coming to collect us till 6 and we had to pay £15 for the priviledge. One couple refused to and so they left their bags at reception. They then asked for a room to shower in and they got their own room ! Had not been cleaned either. There only appeared to be a few others staying here at the time. The waiters and staff generally were not friendly and most of us couldnt wait to leave.

Their website states that they are on the beach !...The hotel is 2 miles from the airport in a run down dump of a place, they told us that the beach was 20 minutes away and that it cost £15 to get into it as it was a private beach. Please do not be misled by their website.

This hotel is dirt cheap but please be warned how bad it is. It is not worth it.

All of us had spent a week on the Sea Serpent and had not been sick. Most of us were sick after one meal at this hotel,

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scarke
Ivory-Suites, Manager at Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management Team of Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites Hotel, we would like to assure you that it is only through valuable customer feedback we can maintain and more importantly improve the level of customer satisfaction that we aspire to improve.

We were sorry to know that you were unsatisfied during your short stay, I believe it was only one night with us, we would like to draw your attention that we took all necessary actions concerning some of your comment enabling us to perform better,

Just to put the record straight the private beach use is only 15.00 Egyptian pounds not English pounds as mentioned in the review,

Also the late checkout is known to be against charge and our offer by giving a shower room was complementary “and the complementary couldn’t be put to test”

Sol Mar Ivory Suites is a city hotel second line not direct on the beach so it’s normal to have some buildings in the area or neighborhood are not finished but on the positive side the hotel located in the down town almost 150 m to the promenade, 1km to the airport, tidy and clean ( sea other reviews from previous guests and even from deferent group of the same company you arrived with and it was later your comments , I am sorry to tell you is not fair to mention the hotel in a run down dump of place as well as to speak on behalf of the whole group mentioning most of them were unhappy and got sick this is not correct as I spoke personally with some of them and they were satisfied.
We would like to officially apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay at Sol Y Mar Ivory Suites Hotel and we are looking forward welcoming you once again at our hotel,

Your comment was vital to us and helped us in improving our services and standards
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Alright,
I found a very good price for this hotel on Bed and Breakfast basis ( 30$ per night on booking.com, or 28$ on alpharooms). if you do not want to read my extended review, then simply take this: book at this hotel but do not eat here or at any Iberotel property !
check in:
very simple and quick, there's a guy at the front desk named "Mahmoud" who is a treasure very nice and helpful with everything he has helped us with everything we needed during our trip
Rooms:
Very nice and clean suites for the price, impossible to get it anywhere else. Living room, bathroom, full kitchen, bedroom ( two beds pushed together). The water pressure in the shower is not great so you have to leave it on for a while before using it. LCD TV with many channels. Its a nice basic suite that is clean and basic.
If you tip the cleaner, you will get towel arts, clean room, and your clothes that are scattered all over the room folded for you !
Breakfast:
very basic few items. I do not mind few items if they were fresh, but for our second night we found that the bread was disgusting and the cereal was sticky. There was few items that tasted OK. IN any case we did not expect much from the 30 dollars we paid so no worries there.
Iberotel Aquamarine:
Is their sister hotel and they offer you to go there for 5 euros each with one free drink or 25 euros each for all inclusive there. WE MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE IN our life and booked all inclusive there. To make a story short, I got so sick from spoiled crab they serve at dinner, I had bad fever and cut my vacation short to be flown to Cairo to go the hospital !!!
Yes it is this serious I tried to call Iberotel Aquamarine, the do not answer. I called the front desk and asked if they can get me in touch with the manager, They said that Aquamarine's manager lives there and will be available at 8 pm we called at 8:20 and he was GONE. that night my temperature gotten worse and we decided to be flown to Cairo to go to the hospital, there goes my vacation !
I went down stairs to check out ( on the night before I am supposed to) I had booked 3 nights the front desk guy ( not Mahmoud) first thought about only giving me a late checkout but when he found out I booked all 3 nights he decided to charge me for all three nights!
I was so sick , I did not care about money at the time ( Think about hospital charges plus plane charges). Anyway, on my way out the front desk guy told me that the manager of Aquamarine resort ( who he called MR Ahmed) wanted to talk to me to sort things out about their spoiled crab. I told him that I had to leave for my flight but I left my cell phone number and I asked that Mr Ahmed must call me when he arrives ! he kept asking me to please wait because he will be there in 5 minutes but I left for my plane. Until this day I have not received a phone call from Mr Ahmed..
All in all Sol Y mar is a good place to stay just keep away from food and specially if you go to their sister hotel Iberotel Aquamarine which I have a separate review for them

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank EzHassan
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I shouldn´t write this, as prices will go up, but: After dozens of trips I can say: I never had a better place in Egypt - even better than Sheraton in El Gouna - and a LOT cheaper - incredibly friendly and polite staff, reception 24/7 and always friendly, nice and very clean rooms - absolutely NO complaints! Will come again; recommended to everybody!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business