“Food poisoning”

Mirage Bay Resort & Aquapark Lilly Land
Ranked #121 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Although the hotel has 4 stars the standard that they are offering there is very poor. The biggest failure was the main restaurant. It was dirty with lots of cats that were mooonig around the tables. Once guest even were able to smell the odour of cats poo poo. Secondly they were recyling and resuing food. Eg if smth had not been finished at the brakefast they reused that for dinner, and still if people hadnt liked it at the dinner, then tehy would have been able to find it for the supper and so on. Because of these practise almost all of the people from my trip got severe food poisoning (including appointments at the hospital). The staff was by and larg ok, but upon arrival, before I even said anyth, I heared from one waiter " I dont like Polish, I love Russians" what was quite odd to here as a greating. All the animations were held in russian, and if u dont speak this language u have a problem. The lifts didnt work at all, noisy russian pop all the time was oozing from the speakers even at 3 am. The only thing that i liked in the hotel was beautiful and colorful garden but nothing more. I would never ever go to this hotel again even for free.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank Hydra2007

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Great thanks for the wonderful food and a full service, I owe the staff at the main restaurant headed by Food bevarage Taye manager Mohamed, Bahaa El Din Exc. Chef, El Sayed Nassar Exc.Chef.
Every day the food was better and better.
Arrangers were so imaginative, that you did not know what to eat before the process.
Guys are so friendly and smiling to simply feel like in heaven.
The beach is big enough, so no crowds.
Animation team entertains you with dancing, aerobics, yoga, darts, beach volleyball, bowling ... you never get bored.
The rooms are excellent and spacious with large terraces.
Flowers and palm trees adorn the area around the bungalow.
They began arranging the pool at the main gate so that it will be a water park.
The hotel is ideal for relaxation, but not for young zelnje fun and madness.
All in all wonderful.
Thank you for giving us beautify their kindness and directness of this unforgettable vacation.
See you next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank krisdexy
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Just returned from a week at this hotel. Overall they do their best, the position around a man made cove is very nice. The service is as good as they can give given the hotel is overrun by Russian tourists. If you are German, or any nationality other than Russian I would avoid visiting this hotel. It is at best just ok, we stayed in a two room bungalow which was large and offered privacy to us as parents but quite frankly it has seen better days. The F&B manager does his best and food in buffet format is always presented very nicely but once the doors open it takes seconds before it is destroyed. The battle at meal times was not worth the effort as there was always enough food so we just waited for the Russians to help themselves. It is all inclusive but beer and drinks are served in small plastic cups, occasionally you get a small glass, this is very annoying and continually have to fight to get a "top up".

Downside, the tennis courts were a ruin as was the football pitch, if entertainment is your thing then the German guide did her best but they were only a handful of Germans staying in the hotel, I understand Alltours will be dropping the children's animation very soon.

We enjoyed the break but not at this hotel again

As stated they did their best and the holiday was cheap so we did not expect much that said I would not stay at the hotel again as for only a little more you can stay at hotels much nicer in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 13 September 2011

moderate in every thing,except the rooms was very spacious and the beach was good,the over all experience is not bad ,the hotel was very large you have to walk a very long distance to reach the beach

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank khallood
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We went through RCI and found the apartments very tired. The kitchen cupboard door fell off in my hand. The bathroom door handle was falling off, theydid send someone to fix it at 8.30pm - an inconvenient time, when asked to come in the day while we were out they totally ignored what we were saying and carried on anyway. After locking my wife and daughter in the bathroom with one of the workers that was it, they were ordered to leave very loudly! they never returned to fix the door, or the outside light for that matter.
Ants are a pest, small and large. You cannot leave any food out of the fridge at all! We took out antibacterial wipes and used them all the time to try to keep the ants at bay as they were after any food residues.
The restaurant is adequaqte, very over priced. We ate their once. The supermarket across the main road outside is okay, they try to be very helpful and will bring things in for you if you ask. If all else fails you can go to McDonalds in Senzo Mall.
I think we were the only English on the whole resort, guests are mainly Italians, Germans and oh yes the very rude Russians - we had several run in's with them, even the locals find them hard work.
Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are cleaned every day. The grounds are kept neat and tidy. The one thing I couldn't understand was why the other guests think it's okay to drop litter, plastic cups, empty water bottles etc where ever they like! The beach was shocking at times.
The coral reef was okay out towards the end of the pier and beyond. Shame some of the other guests have no respect for the sea and took to waking and standing on the coral. Little did they realise that there are lion fish, croccodile fish and other aquatic life that could inflict injury to them should they stand on them. For the keen snorkler there's lots to see, we saw a huge trigger fish on the reef out from the pier, and a blue spotted ray just under the rocks below the pier, along with the usual reef fish.
For the divers out there, guest relations can arrange dive trips for you. We went with Aymen and Hany El Hady (www.diveia.com), these two brothers are great. Personal, friendly, they were very good with my daughter who is a Junior Open Water diver (13yrs), they even came to collect us personally in their car and drop us back. They can also arrange, what they call, Saffari trips - bit of a liveaboard trip.
We did the Luxor trip, I would recomend this. Guest Relations arranged for us to travel to Cairo a day early so we could spend two days seeing the sights (with guide and transport,) they booked us in the Grand Pyramids Hotel for a night, a most excellent hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Davies234
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We went there through RCI. We didn't had all inclusive and it was a bit tough with the food. We had a few times dinner at the restaurant there, it was good, but we found it a bit expensive. The rest of the time we bought an made food in the room, because it had kitchen. We knew only english and romanian but didn't had any trouble communicating with people there, most of them knew english. The service was good. The rooms ware cleaned every day and everybody had smiling faces. We stayed there a week, and just 2 days we spent at the hotel, the rest of the days we traveled. I liked Egypt very much!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank Ana-MariaS_Ro
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We booked our holiday through RCI, which means a full 7 days in this hotel.
We are a family of three kids. 6yrs, 3yrs and 5months.
Hotel design and landscape was nice. However the unit was a disaster. We had some snacks for kids well packed in bags, we put it in the kitchenette. Next morning we found huge army of small ants everywhere in the kitchenette even inside the bags. So we had to throw all of it, and everything else we had to put in the fridge, even the baby formula. We were not at ease at all when we had to stay in the room. After another day the "unwanted visitor" showed up at night and disappeared somewhere in the room and we couldn't catch it. So it was bad night sleep, first thing in the morning when I woke up I saw it wandering beside the bed and that was it for me. We immediately booked in another hotel in El Gouna (still a three stars hotel there is cleaner than hurghada), and we had to leave this hotel after only 3 nights from our 7 nights vacation. Later when we were packing I found another army of ants in my daughter's baby cot while she was in it and got an ant bite. The ants actually were everywhere, even on flowers!!!!
Overall there were other things I didn't like in the unit and it was not up to what I expected, however this what bothered me the most.
I definitely do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.
I can give up anything except cleanliness.

• Stayed: July 2011