“Good quality for reasonable price (like an American car)”

The Bay View Resort Taba Heights
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Taba
Tarnow
“Good quality for reasonable price (like an American car)”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We had very nice 5 nights holiday. I',m not shocked by Marriott, but everything is relevant to price which is not high. The service is nice. Cleanliness of the hotel in acceptable as far as egiptian standards are concerned. The food is tasty that is not frequent in Egipt - I had fantastic fish for dinner 3 times. The beach is clean although the condition of beach furniture is not excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank george_wind

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Great holiday at Taba Heights. Super hotel, lovely rooms, excellent facilities, spotlessly clean.The staff couldn't do enough for us. Thank you Marriott and well done - would definitely return. Ozmoz, Surrey

Room Tip: Higher floors give a beautiful sea view across the Gulf.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Katie R, Public Relations Manager at The Bay View Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
Dear OzmOz
We were delighted to read your recent review, thank you for such wonderful comments! We very much look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit where we will be making sure that you have an equally fantastic holiday! Once again, from the Taba Marriott team, thank you and have a great summer!
wokingham
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Have Just returned from yet another great weeks holiday at the Marriott Taba Heights again,The hotel is great, staff are fab, food is lovely and as for the weather blue sky every day in the high 30,what more could you ask for,we have been to this hotel now at least 8 times and have introduced friends and family who have also loved it and have since returned I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: rooms around the pool are great if you young children
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank WokinghamSophie
Katie R, Public Relations Manager at The Bay View Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear WokinghamSophie
Its so great to hear that our loyal repeat guests are still loving the hotel and everything that we have to offer. You are the best ambassadors for us, and we always look forward to welcoming you and your family & friends! Thank you for posting you feedback, and i will be sure to pass on to the team your lovely comments! Wishing you all the best for the summer and look forward to welcoming you back!
Teddington
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Let me start by saying that we enjoyed our trip. The airport is a typical Egyptian airport, basically an hour of pointless queueing and filling in forms, nothing can be done about that, but the hotel itself was impressive, staff were excellent and friendly, room was clean and comfortable, weather was good. However, in my opinion, there is room for improvement.

Our flight lands at 19:55, we arrive at the hotel at 21:30, check-in, and go to the restaurant for something to eat. The food is good and varied. Unfortunately, this is more than can be said for the music, which is essentially Peruvian pipe music, the kind that you might listen to for 5 minutes in your High Street, but you decide not to buy the album. There's a reason for that. If you listen to it for too long, it drives you nuts. So imagine listening to it at every meal time for a week. In fact, you don't have to imagine doing it, you just need to stay at the Marriott.

Anyway, we finish our food at 22:15, and go to the nearest bar, only to be told that 'all-inclusive' ended at 22:00. This was not a problem for the rest of the week, but annoying on your first evening (especially with the theme from The Godfather and Terry Wogan's The Floral Dance still ringing in your ears). You would have thought that the hotel would give you a couple of drinks vouchers for your first evening, but anyway, we buy a couple of bottles of beer for £8 ($14US).

The next problem we encountered a couple of days later is the hotel wi-fi. Despite seeing many complaints about it before we went, and despite the management saying that they are looking into a cheaper alternative, it is still £10 ($18US) for an hour, which is an extortionate amount to charge (I understand the Sofitel is free). The management say they are looking into it, but I think in the same way that Amazon are looking into reducing the cost of e-books, but meanwhile they still charge you £8 for a piece of electricity, so I do not expect this policy to change any time soon.

Our last problem came on our last day. Check out is 12:00, our flight was at 21:00, so we were told that we would still need to check out at midday, but we could have a shower and get changed at 17:00. So we spent the day on the beach, and when it came to getting changed we were directed to the Spa ("out the door, turn right, and it's on the left"). Well, it's actually a poorly signposted 5-minute walk. I had to ask for directions in the hotel's workshops, which I had stumbled into. When we arrive at the Spa, we are shown into a communal shower area. Most hotels have a couple of rooms set aside for their guests to use privately in these circumstances - not this one. Luckily we are the only ones there, which made me wonder whether previous guests were offered alternative arramgements, but altogether a very unsatisfactory end to our stay.

So, essentially, apart from the first hour and the last hour, it's a really good hotel, and we will probably return, but we'll give it a few years. We have other places that we want to visit in the meantime.

Oh, and when we booked on Longwood we took the free up-grade to a sea-view room, but as you'll see in the photos the room (438) was top-floor, but didn't really have a sea-view, and although I mentioned this to reception, I was told that as it was a free upgrade it was only a 'request', so it didn't really count. After a couple of days we were offered an alternative, but by then we had unpacked and settled in (and discovered hidden benefits of room 438), so chose to stay where we were. But yeah, quite funny really, an upgrade only counts if you actually spend more money. Bizarre.

Room Tip: Room 438 for those that want a balcony that is not 'over-looked'.
4 Thank Rob G
Dear Rob G
Many Thanks for posting your recent, very candid review! Although i am happy that overall you had a good holiday, I would like to address some of the points that you raise. The wifi issue in the hotel is a very valid issue and one that we are greatly trying to reslove. We are looking into it, as you mention, however im sure that you can appreciate that being in the desert means that sometimes things can take a bit longer to resolve than we would be happy with, and although we are wholly aware that the Sofitel does offer free wifi, unfortunatly we are still encountering challenges with this! Please rest assured that we are taking this issue extremely seriously and are exploring every possible solution! On your last day, had you wanted to extend your room untill later in the day then you would have been able to do so at a very reasonable price, and i would like to point out that the showers in the Spa are not communal as you mention, there are seperate changing areas for both men and women and both have individual cubicles. We will also ensure better and more effective signposting of the Spa for future clients. I would however, like to thank you for the lovely pictures that you posted, its great to see such beautiful images of the resort and I am also delighted at your comments regarding the rooms and the staff. I do hope that you will will visit us again, and please dont hesitate to contact me prior at mhrs.tcpeg.pr.manager@marriott.com so that we can take care of the room requests for you and ensure that you have a great holiday, and hopefully we can improve our rating from 2 to 5 stars! Looking forward to seeing you again and wishing you all the best from the Taba Marriott Team!
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Had our first ever week in Egypt at the Marriott Hotel Taba Heights starting 14 April 2012. Absolutely evrything was great, weathe,r staff, facilities. Just couldn't fault it apart from it could do with a better beach bar more on the lines of the Intercontinental just up the beach. Also free wifi in the lobby like at the Sofitel down the beach would enhance matters.
The all inclusive buffett food arrangement is great there was something for everyone and the standard of it is very good.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a Sea View
3 Thank andyallott
Dear andyallott
We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first trip to Egypt and more importantly at the Marriott and that you had a great time! Thank you for posting you recent review, and rest assured that i will be passing this on the the team here during our daily briefings! Please dont hesitate to contact me at mhrs.tcpeg.pr.manager@marriott.com when you decided to visit us for you second trip to the Marriott and we will be sure to take care of all the details for you! Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

We are repeat guests many times and have enjoyed an extremely warm welcome every time. Since our last visit in October 2010 we have found the quality of the food and hotel entertainment has improved. Cleanliness has always been good but has also improved. We look forward to returning later in the year Ensh Alla.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Eurosx2
Katie R, Public Relations Manager at The Bay View Resort Taba Heights, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Eurosx2
Many thanks from the team for posting you recent review! Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, and its great to read that we have improved and are continuing to improve thigs where necessary! Please ensure you contact us upon your next visit so that we can roll out the red carpet for you and make sure that your next stay is even more fabulous! Wishing you all the best from the Taba Marriott team! :-)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 10 days. The positives to this hotel are, the grounds, the spa (Ling, a fantastic masseuse from Thailand, highly recommended), the gym (unexpectedly well equipped), the tennis courts, the table tennis tables, the jogging track, classes (belly dancing, aqua aerobics, stretching), great if you want to stay in shape whilst away. The evening entertainment was also enjoyable.

However, the major downfalls to this hotel were the staff and their lack of service. When we arrived we were shown to our room which had not been cleaned. The room had two double beds, we had requested a room with one king-size bed. We were reluctantly moved to another room on the second day. On the first morning we ordered tea and coffee via room service. I opened the tea pot, which had just water in it (the bags were separate) the bottom of the pot was full of black bits (not sure what they were) and there was a dead fly floating on the top.

We spoke with reception and told them that we were unimpressed so far and that this was by far the worst Marriott hotel we had ever stayed in. We were informed not to expect usual Marriott standards as it was a resort and we were in Egypt!! If this is what 5* is like I dread to think how anything lower would be.....

On the third evening I noticed a broken glass at the bottom of the stairwell to our room. After our 10 day stay, this broken glass remained! There were many children staying at the hotel, and because of this I found it unbelievable that they would leave the glass there for that amount of time even after the staff had been informed.

Although I had been pre-warned prior to my visit as to the views (mainly by Arabic men) towards western women, I was appalled at how I was treated in this supposed 5* hotel. It was one extreme to another, I was either completely ignored, not even so much as acknowledged, or I was leered at and made to feel extremely uncomfortable, they had no regard for the fact that my husband was present. There was one morning we approached the breakfast hall, the food manager held the door open for my husband and greeted him, he did not even look at me and dropped the door on me as soon as my husband had passed! There were occasions when going upstairs i would look down and notice staff members trying to look up my skirt. I am by no means the type to show off a lot of flesh (if not at the beach) but any small amount of flesh showing and the staff would stare in a very perverted manner and make you feel wholly inadequate.

Another downfall was the constant expectancy to tip. Whilst I appreciate that this may be part of the culture of the country how dare the staff be so unappreciative of a tip! There were occasions that we wanted to ask for the tip back because of their attitude. The staff were also only after tips and it was obvious that this was the only reason they would attempt to assist you. There was one particular waiter who served us one morning at breakfast and again at lunch time and a couple of times the following day, he was being overly friendly and attentive. My husband tipped him 50 Egyptian pounds (£5 sterling) he looked at the note he was given, looked back at my husband in disgust, walked off (without saying thank you) and he ignored us for the rest of our holiday!

Suffice to say we would not stay here again.

6 Thank MrsIPan