“One of the Best Places Ever!”
other travellers have booked this property
Infinity Pool
Reflections in the Pool
Tranquil Savusavu Bay
Sunset over the Bay
Pool reflections at sunset
Reflections of a coconut tree
Where the pool meets the ocean...
Your own Private Saltwater Pool
Beach out front
Checking the view from the pool
Views of Savusavu Bay
Cousteau Wharf
Savusavu Bay
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Hillrun1
Huntington Beach, CA
“One of the Best Places Ever!”
Reviewed April 10, 2015 for a stay in March 2015

I had read a lot about the House of Bamboo before our first trip to Fiji. I had high hopes and we were not disappointed. The house, the view and the privacy are spectacular.

When we arrived at the house, we saw a beautiful home up on 40' concrete pylons, built on the side of a hill. We quickly learned that that was the Pod house and the Bamboo House is above that. We climbed 125 steps, up. When we got to the Bamboo House, we found one of the best views we have experienced with total privacy.

Brad, the owner was there to meet us. He is a great guy and made us feel right at home.

The house is located about 4 miles from town, on a dirt road. It is about a quarter of a mile from the Jean Michael Cousteau 5 star resort. The neighborhood is safe and nice. You can not walk to town. You need to take a taxi or the bus if you don't have a car.

The house has a barbecue and a nice kitchen. We ended up barbecuing most of the time for dinner and made our breakfast and lunch. We honestly did not want to leave the house. The infinity pool and king size day bed, by the pool were our home for six days.

The upstairs bedroom is nice and has a two person bath tub that actually holds two people. The only problem with it is that there is a barbed wire fence about 10 yards behind the house and there are cows that occasion the area and make noise at night. Additionally, Mongooses are either mating or fighting at night and occasionally scream. Bring ear plugs.

The down stairs bedroom is nice and dark. You need to climb down a Amsterdam style set of stairs (basically a ladder). It has a private rain head shower in that bath.

The TV gets two channels, both Fijian. Bring your own DVDs and CDs for music.

If you are going, we found that either we burned a day in Nadi (pronounced Nan dee) to fly into Savusavu or we fly into La Basa, on the other side of the island. If you choose to fly into La Basa, Brad can arrange for a taxi to pick you up and take you to the house. We did that and enjoyed the journey across the island.

Booze is super expensive so buy your alcohol at the Duty Free store at the Nadi airport.

In town, we ate at the Country Kitchen and the Surf and Turf. The Country Kitchen is nothing like a Country Kitchen in the US. It is run by a mom and her two daughters. The food was very good and we enjoyed it. The Surf and Turf is run by an established chef who went out on his own and has a very good restaurant going.

In my opinion, Fiji is very third world-ish. The house is away from that and is well worth going to. We loved our stay at the Bamboo House. We prefer Hawaii or Tahiti over Fiji but this is one of the best places we have ever stayed at.

Liked best: The Privacy of the House and Pool
Liked least: The distance to town.
Friends getaway Families with young children
527cath05
Beaumont, Australia
“Very special hidden paradise”
Reviewed January 23, 2015 for a stay in November 2014
person found this review helpful

I stayed at the House of Bamboo in October last year 2014, with my sister. We were there for 7 days. It was absolutely beautiful, a fabulous oasis on the outskirts of the main town of Savu Savu. The property has an amazing view and the delight of swimming in the infinity pool overlooking the harbour is awesome. I was so impressed with the whole experience that I went back in December with my partner. On both occasions we were welcomed so warmly by Tania, Calesi and Tom. Every thing was done with seamless effort and kindness. I quickly became connected to this devoted extended family of Brad and Therese.
Brad and Therese you have made a very classy and warm holiday home for those lucky enough to visit. The home has a lovely feel, has everything you could need and is special. The Day bed in the private tropical garden became a special island for many a glass of bubbles and endless hours of watching the incredible sunsets, while taking the odd dip in the pool.

Liked best: Location and privacy
Liked least: Nothing
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
24 Jan 2015
Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experience at the House of Bamboo. We hope to see you again soon and for you to enjoy some more bubbles in your island paradise.
Snowdin
“Honeymoon heaven”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 for a stay in December 2012
people found this review helpful

This review is very late, and should have been written sooner, but oh well. Anyway, my wife and I stayed at the House of Bamboo for the second week of our honeymoon in early October of 2012. We wanted a mix if vacation styles, so the first week we stayed at a resort, and the second we wanted to be on our own. The resort was fun, relaxing at least, but by far the highlight of our trip was staying at the House if Bamboo.
Some people are detail people, planners if you will, that have every second of a trip mapped out. We, however are more seat of the pants sort of people, as in we didn't know how we were going to get to the second island until the night before :). This was mainly because I was fixated on taking a boat, and it was impossible for me to figure out how to book it ahead if time from Colorado. I was told that the resort would help once we got there, but that wasn't exactly true. Regardless Brad and Therese didn't know when or how, we would be arriving until the night before, but even still Brad changed his plans and picked us up from the tiny airport nonetheless. I know that seems like a little thing, but it's not. While my wife is a seasoned traveler, I am not, so having someone pick us up and not only take us to our place, but also show us local spots was great.
As a note, Brad was very cool.
He explained their set up, and that if we needed anything who to call, showed us the house, then left us to marvel.
Let's start with the house. Simply put, it's awesome. The views are spectacular, the pool is really relaxing, and it's spacious and well appointed enough to make you feel right at home.
Next, Suvasuva. The town is just down the road, far enough away to feel secluded but close enough to walk to, or if your slightly lazy like us, get a cab to come out lickidy split. We stocked up on food, wine and beer. (Btw Fiji bitters is very nice). We went to town every day to shop or eat, or just wander and talk to people.
Oh man, let me talk about the people. This is the nicest, most polite place I have ever been. The most striking example of this was one disastrous/amazing trip we took one day around the whole freaking island, trying to find dolphin bay. We rented a car and thinking we had the route figured out, set out on an odyssey fit for a movie. It's too long to tell, but the striking part is how many people helped us. Complete random strangers, all of them, but still took time to try to try to help us. It was amazing, and even though we were lost and super confused, we always felt safe.
I can't say enough good things about this experience. From the time we got there from the time we left was amazing. I can't even begin to describe all the amazing memories.
There was only one, slightly off putting night, and that was completely our fault. One night, the last night, I left the camera outside so I went out and grabbed it, but when I came back I didn't close the door all the way. A few hours later when we were trying to get to sleep, we noticed a multitude of bugs crawling on everything. It was crazy how many! We retreated to the downstairs bedroom, and conceded the upstairs to the bugs and geckos. Oh well, that's tropical life sometimes.
All in all I would recommend to anyone from a couple to a family or group of friends.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
23 Nov 2013
Hi guys, thank you very much for writing. Yes we agree the people in Savusavu are amazing, and so unaffected. You certainly know you are somewhere off the beaten track. Hope to see you back at the House of Bamboo one day and thank you again for staying with us.
ToesUpInT...
Harrison Twp. Michigan
“Don't Do It”
Reviewed June 20, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
people found this review helpful

Please read this if you're interested in renting the House of Bamboo by Fiji Beach Shacks. We flew 22 hours and half way across the world to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary at the House of Bamboo after reading their description on their website as well as Tripadvisor, VRBO and Homeaway. I had some reservations, since the latest reviews were from 2011. But, their other property just down the hill had more recent and very good reviews, so we booked it.
We arrived in the evening, just before the sunset and everything looked okay as we unpacked and freshened up to go into town for dinner. I was concerned about all of the ants crawling on the bathroom counter, but figured they came in with the fresh cut flowers in the vase there.
Then, after calling a cab and starting to go down the 124 steps to the road, we noticed there were no lights on the steps! It gets dark here about 5:30, so lights are important. We found a lantern under the sink, but no spare batteries.
We called the manager and told her about the lights. She said the'd have an electrician out the next day. No one showed up. They came out the following day. Long story short - lighting needs to be replaced and they have to get parts from Australia, so they won't be fixed before we leave. Nice.....So they delivered more batteries for the lantern.
On Thursday while showering, I got a cold shower. Figuring the gas tank was empty, my husband tried the burners on the stovetop to check. They worked fine. Again, he called the manager. She wanted to walk him through FIXING the water heater, since she lives several kilometers away and I guess didn't want to make the trip out! My husband reminder her that we are paying guests here, so her husband came out. He wasn't very happy about making the trip, and said that they have been having this problem for the last six months. He did get the water heater working again, but he also reminded us that this is third world living! Well sorry, but we didn't pay nearly $4K USD to experience third world living.
I emailed the owner in Australia the next day expressing our disappointment in the condition of the so called "LUXURY" vacation home, pointing out some of the other problems we've had; big holes in the screens, ants and other small bugs all over in the house (particularly the bath tub area, the pool decking, the sofas in the lounge and the bed. Yes, in the bed crawling and biting you while you try to sleep.), the dank, mildewing downstairs, the downstairs shower head that sprays out all over above the shower head and the rotting, bug infested thatch. I got a response from her the next day. She thanked me for pointing out the thatch, holes in the screens and the broken shower head. She said the water heater would be replaced, the screens rectified, the lights wouldn't be fixed before we left and said the bugs in the house are part of living in the tropics. She did not even apologize for any of these problems or for our inconvenience! That was the most frustrating part. What kind of business owner doesn't even apologize when a customer has valid complaints?
So, we would never recommend that anyone else have the same experiences that we've had here.
Here are some of the other problems that we've had here; the holes in the screens were rectified with tape, a broken French press coffee pot, broken hair dryer, filthy fabric on the sofas in the lounge, broken massage table for in-house massage, broken CD player, I never found the iPod docking station. The wifi works best in the early morning and very late at night; if you stay longer than one week and the maid comes you'll have to vacate from about 9-3:30, so you'll have to spend more money to occupy your time.

The only good things about this place are the plunge pool and the views of the bay.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: The feeling I was camping/roughing it even though we paid for a LUXURY vacation rental, and the owners apparent lack of concern.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
19 Jun 2013
Dear Toes up in the sand, we are very sorry that your time at the House of Bamboo was not what you had hoped for. We are very sorry that we weren’t able to rectify the lighting during your 16 night stay. You will be pleased to know that the lighting has been replaced and added to, a new shower head installed and screens replaced. During your stay the hot water system was replaced as was the hair dryer. The French press is there as a back up for the coffee machine and the docking station is on the bedside table. Unfortunately we can’t control the speed of the free wi-fi that is provided. We are also sorry that you did not enjoy the free cleaning service. Many guests stay to chat with our cleaner Kalesi as it is a great opportunity to get to know the locals, some guests laze by the pool whilst the cleaner is there or pop down to the beach, none are asked to leave. We rectified and apologised for all the items that we had to replace for you during your stay unfortunately some other items are beyond our control. As to previous reviews our most recent one for the House of Bamboo you will see was in January 2013. Again we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as between ourselves and our local managers we do always try to do everything possible so that our guests enjoy their time in Fiji.
Jodie C
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect in every way..”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

My partner and I stayed at Bamboo House for 4 nights 30 Dec - 4 Jan 2013. We enjoyed dry sunny weather and spectacular sunsets from our balcony. The house is a perfect retreat, with a fully equipped kitchen and BBQ. We took advantage of the local markets stocking up on fresh, fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood. Learning to use use a coconut scraper for rich homemade coconut cream and huge cheap pineapples from the markets made the best pina coladas. Having a juicer in the kitchen was a bonus. We spent hours chilling out in the pool and bure enjoying the view. Wifi was great as was the local phone to book taxis, cleaners and massages. The house comes with a folder full of local information and contact details to make your stay as luxurious or adventurous as you like.. The thought and detail gone into Bamboo House makes for a relaxing and enjoyable holiday in Savusavu.. Well done Brad and Therese and thank you for sharing it!

Liked best: The View
Liked least: The Steps
Friends getaway
8 Jan 2013
Thank you for staying with us. The local markets are great fun and once you eat fresh tropical fruit, it will never taste the same as what you get in Fiji !!! Hope to see back again some day soon... Vinaka
Cory C
Detroit, Michigan
“Pure honeymoon bliss!”
Reviewed October 21, 2011 for a stay in August 2011
people found this review helpful

My husband and I recently stayed at this place while on our honeymoon! It had spectacular views, lovely breezes, and a nice home feeling! I wish we lived there full time! The owners were such a great help, showed us around town, where to get food, scuba dive, snorkel, and other very helpful tips. I highly recommend this place to anyone! The house is big enough to accommodate multiple friends!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: views, plunge pool, open windows throughout the whole house.
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
IL USA
Reviewed September 4, 2011 for a stay in November 2008

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check-in / front desk Service
Liked best: cleanliness and views
Liked least: lots of stairs to climb might not be good for elderly/disabled
Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Luxury-minded travelers
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing