“Difficult to get there from U.S.”

Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Reviewed 28 December 2012

The resort has a nice restaurant and the staff are very helpful and friendly, in fact I should have given them a 5/5. The food is great however after a few days you wanna venture out of there. My family went to another resort called Jean Costeaux (I think that's what it's called. You drive through Savusavu over to the other side of the island and through a really really muddy slippery dangerous road to get to. Wasn't worth the experience as it was overly expensive for a 3 star food and service). Try the Joseph's bar and restaurant downtown.
The activities provided by the resort is excellent and you pay per person about $40 on average to go. The childcare is excellent. There is really no sandy beach at the resort. Lots of mosquitoes but is to be expected as the resort backs up to a rainforest. Our kids did ok given we applied bug repellent with deet. The bures are comfy for a family of 4 as they have two bedrooms and a living room. Clean enough but nothing fancy. they are dated. The golf course is not a good one that we didn't even use it. I could live with all that however, I will never go back because of Air Pacific terrible service! After talking carefully and booking through them as stopping in Fiji was one leg of our South Pacific traveling, they still changed our flight dates last minute. As a result, we were able to change some o our hotel bookings but not all. Sofitel Nadi could not issue us a refund for a one night stopover that didn't happen bc the airline changed our itenerary last minute and flew us interisland same day- after telling us they couldn't in the first place. Then we were in Suva for three nights bc we missed our flight out to Tonga. This was indeed a very expensive trip. It would have served us better to go from the U.S. to New Zealand then Tahiti, Cook Islands and avoid Fiji all together. Oh oh, may I mention the delays at the airport? In Tonga it was an overnight delay on the main island. Delays for 4 hours in Nadi waiting to come back to the U.S. and it was absolutely difficult for a family with 2 kids. Also when we initially arrived in Nadi from LAX, they only had two officers serving us at immigration and then it went down to only one. They had a nice Fijian band playing nice music but I would prefer they offer more help serving visitors at arrival, especially when expecting a full 747 flight! My understanding is that tourism is a major industry for them. It didn't convey at the airport.
Overall, our two (one of which unintented) weeks in Fiji was awesome- amidst the super chaos you have to make it work. It's a magical place full of mountains, waterfalls and rivers. Warm hearted people - I love them! I won't visit anytime soon though. Air pacific was so disheartening. I wrote to them twice and asked if they could do something about our Sofitel refund - which was only one of so many mess-up but that was the one we felt we couldn't do anything about, and never heard a thing except an automated reply both times indicating that my message had been forwarded to...an invisible office with invisible people?

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Sandy98
Josaia R, General Manager at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

Happy New Year From the Koro Sun Resort Family.

Thank you for your review back in December 2012.

My name is Josaia Rayawa ("JR"). My wife, Margie and I are the new Co-General Managers at Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa. We find this a great opportunity for us to introduce ourselves. Margie and I joined Koro Sun Resort in 2014.

We hope to be able to encourage you to come visit Koro Sun again. We are in the throes of including 8 new floating bures/villas on the lagoon, the first of its kind in Fiji.

Do let us know if you want us to keep you in the loop on the progress. My email is jr@korosunresort.com

Reviewed 8 December 2012

We recently stayed for a week at Koro Sun for our honeymoon and felt like we had travelled direct to paradise. Our aim of the trip was to relax and disconnect from all things (emails, text messages, phone calls and stress), and we definitely got more than we expected, We stayed in an edge water bure, with portholes in the lounge room floor to watch fish swim below! If we wanted to get closer to the fish, we just had to climb down the ladder from our back deck into the lagoon, if the tide was out we just walked out the front door for a dip in our private pool, or walked a few metres for a swim in the marina. The staff were amazing and everyone remembered our names and treated us like royalty. The rainforest spa was sensational and the activities were really well organised ( kayaking, reef snorkelling, stand up paddle boarding, rainforest trekking etc) The food was 5star with three courses for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The night before we left, the staff and their families performed a traditional meke (song and dance concert) followed by lovo (our meal was cooked underground), it was such an amazing cultural experience I didn't think it could be topped, but as we checked out the next morning the staff all got together and sang us a farewell song.
We truly met the friendliest and kindest staff on the planet and will have a hard time trying to experience a better week.

Room Tip: The edge water 2 bure is spectacular, (as are the other 4) from a stroll around the resort, all room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BrettNic12
navale0, Director of Sales at Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thanks for the review, and spending your honeymoon with us at Koro Sun! It's so nice to hear you felt like royalty, in the way that our staff treated you. We hope to have you visit again in the not too distant future. Vinaka!

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I read many, many, trip reports while making plans for our Fiji vacation and then many more for Koro Sun when we decided to book our trip to the resort. I also “liked” them on facebook to get some information on the resort while we were waiting for our trip. We booked our trip in February and didn’t travel until November, so I have quite a bit of time to plan and prepare. This was much farther than we usually travel, but thanks to our travel agent Marcy and Pleasant Holidays, the trip went very well. We had a 4 hour car ride, 4 hour plane ride, layover in LAX, then trip to Fiji and finally the domestic flight to Savusavu.
Many have commented on the staff, the wonderful spa, and beautiful grounds, I am going to try to comment on things that others didn’t for the most part. I really didn’t know which type of room to book and we ended up upgrading to the Raintree villas and we’re happy we did. It’s difficult to book without actually seeing the differences, and there are several different types. The Edgewater villas are very nice, but also pricey. The treetop villa would have been many steps, I think I counted 46. The Raintree villas were a little distance to walk, but they had a plunge pool and nice porch. The inside was very roomy, there than the bathroom which was pretty small. But we did have an extra sink in the kitchen. There was lots of storage space, tea and instant coffee. There was no coffee maker in the room. They are working on fixing up the Raintree villas, they will be even nicer. I am happy we went with this room.
They had golf umbrellas for your use and it rains a lot in the rainforest, so you’ll probably need one. I also brought a small purse umbrella which also came in handy. It did rain almost every day, but most of the time it didn’t last long. The room we stayed in did not have a clock, radio or CD player. I brought our iPod and docking station with an adapter and it was nice to have. We also had down-loaded several movies on our iPod and one night we watched a movie in our room. There was no drying rack in the room, which would be nice as there are always a wet suit, etc. I requested an iron and ironing board and I was able to keep it for the week. Bug spray was available and I also brought some with. Spray your legs every night and you should be OK. One night I forgot and I got a few bites. We had no problem in the room with critters. Others have commented on towel, toiletries, etc. shortage. We always had plenty and extras were left in the room. Beach towels were available by the pool.
As others have commented, the people really make the vacation, the staff, owners, and guests were great and we enjoyed everyone’s company. You are treated like family. Don’t miss the waterfall trip. The grounds are beautiful, kayaks and bicycles are at your disposal. A trip to town is inexpensive. We enjoyed taking the kayaks to the raft anchored off shore. From there is an easy swim to a great snorkeling area.
There was quite a bit of talk about drink and snacks in the reviews. I brought a few snacks, but honestly we had trouble finishing our meals. The drink prices were from$8-16 Fiji currency and that was for watermelon martinis and passion fruit margaritas, Vonu beer was $7. The bartender, Fisal, was great! We did not find drink prices unreasonable. It is possible to go to town and stock up in your room as others have mentioned.
Good water shoes are a must, we walked around Bat Island and the surface is jagged rocks. The golf course was also very wet and other shoes would not work.
We arrived at 8:30 Am and left the resort at 2:30 PM. Our room was ready when we arrived and we could stay in our room until the time we left the resort. This was greatly appreciated, we did not get charged extra for meals prior to the normal check-in time. We left the resort at 2:30 and drive a few miles to the Savusavu airport for a small connecting flight the flight left at 4:30. We had a long haul ahead, it seems like we wouldn’t have to sit there for that long. We were given great advice about the Nadi airport; as most we had several hours there before our flight. If you are taking the 10:30 flight to LAX, get in line at 6:30 PM. You’ll be one of the first to check your bags. Then take the shuttle and your carry-ons to the hotel across the street. It is the Raffles Gateway and we had a fantastic meal there, this was a great tip. Come back around 9:15 PM with still lots of time to go through security. This was a great tip.
All in all this was a wonderful trip. We feel that we got to see the real Fiji. We were able to go to a church service and drink kava with the band. I will never forget singing “Jingle Bells” with the children from the village on the way to the waterfall. This is not a cookie cutter resort; it is a real cultural experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dalebonnie

It was a pleasure to meet you Bonnie, and share some great laughs over dinner. Thank you very much for the thorough review, and great tips you offered to future guests! I was happy to hear you took advantage of the Raffles Gateway pool and shower vouchers while waiting for your flight back home. It really makes the last few hours in Fiji more enjoyable that sitting at the airport.

A few points that I wanted to share with future travelers, is that the Raintree Bures are in the process of being upgraded to include covered plunge pools, with day beds along the veranda on each bure. We have completed one, as of December 7th, and expect to finish all Raintree Bures by March.

Thanks to our Wisconsin friends, we hope to see you both again someday!

Merlyn

Reviewed 5 December 2012

This was one of the best places we've ever visited! I have found that i hate commercialized resorts but Koro Sun was very authentic for me. We stayed in a Sea View Burre which was was like a 2 bedroom suite. Very clean with fresh flowers. Make sure to bring an outlet adaptor if you're from US. The views are wonderful! It's a short but steep walk to these Burres so if you don't like that kind of exertion the Garden Burres are also close to the restaurant but with no strain. The Koro Sun offers many tours, and we went on most except the dolphin tour. Bat Island, snorkeling, water fall, pearl farm, and town tours were great. There's also a convenient dive shop next door. Koro Suns private beach with hanging beds was divine! The staff was awesome, so friendly, and welcoming, and ready to play volleyball! We would definitely go back to visit again.

Room Tip: Sea View Burres have great views but short steep walk. Garden Burres don't have view but are eas...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your review Margaret, and staying with us in our little piece of Paradise!
We do have three (Two Bedroom Ocean View) bures located along the lower path of the resort, for guests who want to skip the hill. Please simply just put a request in at the time of booking! We are happy to announce our day bed cushions have all been replaced this month with fresh new covers. Thanks and vinaka for your review.

Merlyn

Reviewed 24 November 2012

In researching locations and resorts to spend our 10th anniversary, we chose Fiji because of its laid-back reputation. We chose the island of Savusavu because of its more authentic nature. We chose the Koro Sun because it wasn't a large commercialized resort. And, we weren't disappointed. Our stay was wonderful! We truly got a chance to unplug from life back home and get absorbed into "Fiji Time."

We wanted "authentic Fiji" and were not surprised or put out by the bugs, geckos, mongoose, or frogs. They're all part of the landscape and part of what makes Fiji so special.

There were enough activities to keep you busy...kayaking, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, biking, excursions (highly recommend the waterfall), volleyball, etc. There were enough secluded venues to keep you relaxed....poolside cabanas, private beach, secluded beach, spa. There were enough wonderful people to keep you entertained...meeting and spending time with other vacationers. Not to mention the folks who worked at the resort were warm, welcoming and friendly...always greeted by our first names as if we had been been friends for years.

Any minor issues we had during our stay were quickly and quietly fixed by an efficient staff headed up by Arnold. Speaking of staff, the activity guys, John, Romano, and Ben were outstanding. So knowledgeable and patient. The bartender, Faisal, makes a mean cocktail. Feel free to ask him to go off menu as he has some clever concoctions is his repertoire. Mela gives an amazing massage and banana leaf wrap. We're threatening to return yearly just for her treatment. Mili and her serving staff were always friendly and on top of every detail. How they remember each guest and their individual specifics is a wonder. A special shout out to Onie for creating a nice, romantic getaway for us. Geeta in the gift shop was very accommodating. If she didn't have it, she'd go into town and get for you. Truly, there are too many wonderful folks to mention each one by name. Suffice it to say, you'll be taken care of.

We highly recommend. So, go...get on Fiji Time!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen V

Reviewed 19 November 2012

This was my first time to Fiji (and flying international) so with all the planning I forgot to confirm they would pick me up from the airport, no worries, Alvin was there with a fresh coconut with a straw waiting. When we arrived at the hotel you receive a foot massage and scrub. I followed up with a delicious must try Lychee Martini made by Faizal. Check in was a breeze, Arnold and Eva were great. EVERYONE there was great, knew me by name after the first day, went out of their way to make sure I had a great time and I know I was a bit of a pest but they never made me feel like it. I was in the Edgewater 2. Beautiful, decorated nicely, lots if wood and native art. Pure Fiji products which I liked so much I bought more stuff at the airport as gifts. The views from the room were spectacular, the water was beautiful, I literally jumped off my back patio and swam. When the time was low, you can walk most the way out and see blue starfish, sea snakes, bright blue fish caught in little puddles left by the tide. I also got some great shells.
While I was there I had the opportunity to meet Marissa, who booked my stay, and had dinner with her and the owner. Lovely people, very personable. He has another resort in Colorodo I plan to check out.
The resort has many activities during the day. I personally only went diving and spa in the resort. The dive was awesome, Colin and his wife aIso have a restaurant in town. At the spa I had a banana wrap massage by Mella (?), it was relaxing and just what I needed after 15 hrs flighing. I did I other activities through a different group, the front desk can help with that too.
The food was good, healthy. Its not American food so don't expect it. The bread is great and the eggs are always perfect.
Overcall, as I have told many people I would definitely come back here and I plan to.

Vinaka!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Casey N

Reviewed 2 November 2012

We booked Koro Sun because we would be unplugged for a week. The resort was nice. We stayed in the Honeymoon Bure. A two story tree house style suite. Diamond shaped bed upstairs with 360 degree window view with wrap around balcony. Down Stairs had a soaking tub with shower head, small sink with mini frig (didnt work). Outside another wrap around balcony with plunge pool and outdoor shower. The unit looked nice, the first day. For some reason we had creature (beetles, fruit flies, frogs, geckos and mongoose) issues during our stay. The grounds look nice but could use a bit more TLC. We liked the idea of a rural resort without all the typical comforts of home but we did not expect to not have hot/warm or drinkable water for 2 days. House keeping would do moning and evening turn down services. This was nice, however they never once changed our sheets. We were not adapted to 80 degees with 90% humidity and that caused us to sweat a lot. You can imagine what the sheets were like after a few days. They simply made the bed but did not change anything. Waterslide was fun but the pool on the end made you wonder. It was dirty and frequently was visited by numberous frogs. The slide worked for one day and then was closed for the rest of our stay. The adult pool by the common area was very nice. We spent a lot of time floating around and reading. It rained a lot while we were there. So the golf course looked more like a swamp. One thing we were looking forward to were the meals. Except it left a lot to be desired. I am not sure I really enjoyed any meal and when you had something you liked you were constantly swatting at flies. They do offer activities daily, typically one in the morning (usually a paid trip somewhere) and two afternoon activities. The activity guides John and Manu are exceptional, they are great guys to talk with and both are very funny if you are paying attention. We enjoyed the fact we could grap paddles whenever and go kayaking. We spent a great deal of time on the reef looking at the blue star fish and walking around bat island. If you are looking for a place that is not crowded, not expensive, and permits you to relax at your own speed this is a great place. If you want to keep busy with activities, games and have a party atmosphere look elsewhere. We came here to relax and that is what we did sucessfully. The staff was great, grounds could use some work. Adult pool was relaxing, golfing no comment, diving and snorkling is great. Rooms: i would encourage the steamside bungalo or the overwater units. we looked a both and like them a lot more then the big hike (50 Stairs) to the honeymoon bure.

Room Tip: Streamside and Edgewater are really the places to stay. We looked at those and were very impressed b...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank qxgolfer

Koro Sun Resort & Rainforest Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Savusavu
11.4 km away
18.4 km away
Emaho Sekawa Resort
Emaho Sekawa Resort
#7 of 12 in Savusavu

Been to Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa? Share your experiences!