“Coming back for sure”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Savusavu
Melbourne, Australia
“Coming back for sure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Daku was our most memorable stay and I am sure to return, multiple times! Thank you JJ and all at Daku for a wonderful stay!

We rocked up after a long flight/drive from Nadi and Labasa airports but a refreshing coconut drink and a smiling staff upon our arrival was most satisfying. The place is lovely with lots of trees and plants and our ocean-view bure was perfect for our 6 night stay. It was clean, and every day we would get fresh flowers arranged differently everyday on our bed.

Right outside our bure was a volleyball court, which we played frisbee during the afternoon when we had nothing planned. The view is amazing, definitely felt like I was on holiday from the bustling city of Melbourne back home.

The highlight of our stay was the staff and visitors we met. JJ (the owner) was wonderful and helped us get our diving course sorted and even helped us arrange a later flight for us so that we don't have to wake up at 4am in the morning!

There was also one night where we decided to have dinner at Daku, and to our surprise the dinners at Daku is seated together with other visitors so that you can mingle. This was a great experience because we got to know a little more about each other and we were told interesting diving tales (as we had never tried diving before). Even though I didn't have much (or nothing!) to share about diving but I couldn't help but feel like we were all a little family :)

Highly recommended!

A quick 2-5 mins taxi ride into town, or a nice 2km walk which we did twice because of the view, and also the house with chickens at the front :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This resort is a gem - I would return in a heartbeat. Kenny, the manager, his family and staff all make one feel welcome; they are eager to answer questions and share insights into the Fijian life and culture. Sitting on my porch with my early am coffee, looking out over the palm trees to the water beyond, was a lovely way to start a day! I hope I am fortunate enough to return someday.

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room above the pool, on the hillside.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I am traveling on my own and I was immediately made to feel at home and relax...it is understated, relaxed and friendly. The setting is right next to the ocean so you pick up the beautiful breeze to help those hot afternoons fly by. The gardens are beautifully kept and the staff are truly Fijian with their hospitality...I am taking a group next time!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I do not write reviews, normally due to my lack of time. But JJ, Delia and all the staff at Daku Resort put a lot of effort into making our stay relaxing and enjoyable. We took our son with special needs on holiday and JJ was able to organize carers for him so that we were all able to have a great holiday. The carers were great, very interested in how to make our son happy and they all had fun.

They were also able to cater for our special diets and nothing was too much trouble for them.

We stayed in the house with amazing views over the bay and enjoyed watching the ships coming and going. It was ideal accommodation for us.

It was a mixture of staying with friends and staying in a resort. Very relaxing holiday!

• Stayed January 2012
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

So special to be inducted into the Daku family --afforded each guest during their stay. Ceremonies, flowers strewn in your villa, smiling faces welcoming you everywhere, special Fijean meal preparation. Beautiful coral and stunning fish identified by the best Marine Biologist. a visit to a very special village--all this folds the visitor into the culture and natural surroundings. I'd probably choose to avoid the rainy season but it made the landscape all the morelush

Room Tip: The ones with the fabulous garden shower
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed at Daku in June 2011. Got a free upgrade from a basic room to a lovely villa because they were so busy. They had a week long snorkelling course on, with visits from a marine biologist doing talks on an evening. We weren't part of the group, but were welcomed to listen to the talks. The place was clean, the owners very welcoming and obliging and I would definately stay again. In fact - our flight out of Savusavu was delayed for a day, and John the owner had stayed with us at the airport to make sure we got off OK. When we didn't he took us back to Daku, we moved to another room and he sorted all the expenses out directly with the airline. They have a lot of activity groups staying, but everyone was very friendly and we didn't feel left out at all. I've since seen a review where someone wasn't happy because they were charged for rooms when their flight into savusavu was delayed by 2 days. I think this is standard practice as the airline cauing the delay pay for your alternative accommodation while waiting for the flight, so it shouldn't cost any extra. From what I understand the delays happen quite often and I think businesses in remote areas such as these would have a real problem if they refunded people for last minute delays like that. It's happenned to us several times on our travels and it has always worked the same way. I thought they were great here - real characters too.

Room Tip: not so much a fitness centre but a yoga platform.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been staying at the Daku Resort on more than a dozen occasions during the past three years. The Villas are spacious and comfortable with fabulous views of the sea (the resort is meters from the ocean. Importantly, it is also walking distance to the Savusavu Marina and the sleepy town centre. Since I have been staying alone at the Resort for conducting business in Savusavu, I have truly found Daku to be my second home. JJ and Delia are the most welcoming host you will find in Fiji (that is saying a lot, in the friendly isles). I really have been treated as a member of the family by JJ,Delia, and their staff. They have created a real communal atmosphere that allows to you to easily meet other guest at dinner and you really feel at home. However,if you prefer to be more alone, they are very unobtrusive and do not in the least make you feel awkward, I have had so many enjoyable evenings chatting with JJ and Delia, their staff, and other guests. I would recommend the wonderful and affordable resort to families and couples on holiday or if your like me and on your own, due to business or whatever.

I am really surprised with Rhiana G review as they obviously arrived in a bad mood and seem to lack a sense of humor (especially about the pina Coladas, obviously made in jest) --Please! I stayed here as recently as last month and have always found the rooms to be of the highest sanitary standards. It seems these blonds are freaked out by probably a single black hair- oooh scary.

Do not let these knuckleheads put you off, you will have a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo