“Decent food”

Ranked #14 of 1,565 Restaurants in Chandigarh
Price range: US$5 - US$1,000
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Dera, the elegant Indian restaurant, presents an inviting ambience with its split level design, warm lighting, show kitchen and interactive counter. The menu showcases an array of traditional delicacies from the Punjab with specialities from Amritsar, Lahore and Peshawar yet with a contemporary touch as they are cooked in virgin olive oil. Mobile trolleys serving fresh phulkas (Indian breads), as well as delicious dal-tadka (tempered pulses), add to the enjoyable dining experience. Open only for dinner.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Nothing extraordinary about the place or the food, has tried this restaurant since I was in that locality and too hungry, decent food

SinghSS1, General Manager at Dera, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Ms. Agnihotri,

Greetings from Taj Chandigarh!

Thank you for posting your feedback on Zomato.

Your patronage to Taj Chandigarh is truly valuable. We look forward for more dining experiences with us and promise you a great experience each time you dine in with us.

Reviewed April 11, 2018 via mobile

Dera in Taj hotel is famous for it's Indian food and bringing out true flavors of India in their food and they have come up with an Excellent concept yet again in the form of Baisakhi Mela which is on till 15th April .
Pure Punjabi style grandeur and fun is there.
Sitting is along the pool side on 1st floor which just enhances the whole evening.
The buffet option is there for 1750 plus taxes which is definitely worth the experience.
You get fresh sugarcane juice , freshly done lassi right in front of you , Chaat , dahi bhalle , golgappe and freshly made our from the sugarcane juice at one side of counter.
Settle down and in the starters you get a lot of options of chicken, fish , lamb .
I being a vegetarian had Hari mirch ka paneer Tikka which was marinated with green chillies marinade and had masala in between .
Also loved the Subz tikki which melted in the mouth .
There were grilled vegetables also marinated which were just a right combination of tanginess and sweetness.
In the soup we had Kaley chane ka soup which was not overly spicy and had that perfect flavor.

In the mains we had the Punjabi kaali daal , kathal ki sabzi , sookhe aloo ,paneer pasanda ,tawa sabzi , masala chaamp , matar keema , fruits salad , biryani and breads.
This was a very lavish spread and each dish was special because it brought out a unique flavor .
Loved the kathal because rarely any place makes it . This one melted in the mouth.
Chaamp was tender , biryani was outstanding .
Was surprised like anything to see such good Punjabi food at such a high end restaurant.
The best part of the day was desserts though .
Had kulfi or kulfa which was typical Amritsari style , the malpuda had just the right amount of sweetness and angoori rasmalai melted in my mouth.
To top it up they had paan which was subtle and perfect.
Don't miss this fest guys.
It starts at 7.30 pm in the evening.
This one is for all the Punjabis.
Happy Eating.
Cheers

Dear Mr. Mahajan,

It was a privilege to have you dine in with us. Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback on the Baisakhi food mela.

I am glad to know that the food was savored by you especially the hari mirch ka paneer tikka, the biryani and many more.

We truly look forward on your next visit soon and promise you a wonderful experience with us as always.

Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

The small little happiness in life resides with the simple things we love the most. Getting up, getting ready, setting your hair for almost half an hour just to visit a well-established and rather expensive restaurant is something we strangely avoid to enjoy the simple food that brings happiness back in our lives by taking us back to the days when things were simple yet delightful.

Ironically it was Taj Dera that was able to deliver on that premise. The baisakhi food festival at Taj Dera invoked that feeling of being able to enjoy food with the comfort of tasting all that you love.

Starting from the ambience which reminds you that you're back in the streets trying out food as you go; yet there still is an uptown feel about it. It's looks pretty and tasteful. I can even imagine myself going on a date there just soaking the goodness there was.

Since it was a baisakhi food festival, you would find everything there that made baisakhi great. Including the delicacies from mailnly the North end of India.

Jumping quickly to the special live food counters because it was everything I love about food! Seeing the food being cooked live, as you see it teasing you with the aroma... There's nothing better than that!

I hogged down on lassi, gola, Chaat, gur, ganne ka juice and my mouth is watering as I am writing this. It was delicious and much more! The chefs did a really good job in enhancing the already perfect dishes and drinks!

The snacks like always are meant to be had in abundance and I left nothing to chance. The perfect chakhna snacks like the fish tikka, chicken Tikka, mutton kebab, veg kebab, paneer tikka were all beautifully done. It was smiles all around. They all tasted beautiful and since I'm by default a paneer lover, it wins in my book.

The salads and the main course was next next and they literally saved the best for the last. The live counter for veg and non veg dishes was for me the highlight of the evening. Great presentation, great food. Veg and non veg biryanis and the murg makhni made us eat the non veg down to the very bones! It was insanely good!

As Desserts we were brought Faluda, rabri, malpua and we ended the night with a neat paan. They just know how to squeeze the word perfect out of you. It is how I love my food sessions to end. It's perfect down there. I would recommend everyone to try the Taj Dera!

Dear Mr. Miglani,

It was a privilege to have you dine in with us. Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback on the Baisakhi food festival.

I am glad to know that you liked everything about the festival from the ambiance, to the service and the menu variety.

It will be my pleasure to compliment the concerned Chef and the entire team on your behalf.

We truly look forward on your next visit soon and promise you a memorable dinning experience with us as always.

Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

The food is served here with taste and quite enterprising, nicely served and ofcourse the taste is delicious n

Dear Ms. Agnihoti,

Greetings from Taj Chandigarh!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on trip advisor.

I greatly appreciate your positive feedback about our India speciality restaurant Dera.

Assuring you of our best services at all times. It will be our delight to be at your service again. We all will look forward to having you back for more dinning experiences with us and promise you an enjoyable experience every time you dine in with us.

Reviewed March 22, 2018 via mobile

D E R A - Taj Chandigarh. I would say- “Bas naam hi kaafi hai”. I visited Dera recently for the lunch and trust me, I am in an awe of this place. Be it the ambience, service, staff, sitting and most importantly a QUALITY food. Dera has a concept of serving traditional cuisines borrowed from the cuisines of undivided punjab, namely called “the Lehnda-Punjab” and they have nailed it ! A place serving food full of flavours !

So the serving started with a crunchy, crispy platter and a Chaunkey Wali Chaas. The Crispy Platter was a perfect thing to start with as it was light yet able to calm my hunger down ! The Chaunkey Wali Chaas was something new and flavory for me- a thick, a bit salty and full of odor !

It was followed by another amuse bouche- Masala Dahi Quenelles With Mushroom Kurkuri. Another perfect yet flavory dish on the table.

Then I had the starters -
1. Mushroom Malai Galouti- soft, mouth-watering and of enough size to challenge your appetite. My favourite !
2. Masala Malai Chaamp- for all the chaamp lovers this one delicacy is for you.
3. Hari Mirchi Ka Paneer Tikka- something very new for me and it totally blew my taste buds. Such strongs flavours and softness of the Paneer. WOW !
4. Cheese Malai Chicken Tikka- perfectly cooked, tender, juicy and flavory.
5. Dumbey Di Tikki- another luscious serving by Dera (non-veg).
6. Raan-E-Dera- a non-veg started served without any complaints.

This next things was completely out of the box for me and the taste of it took me by surprise. I am talking about “Santrey aur Adrakh Ka Raita”. Can you believe such an out of the box combination. It was sweet Raita for me giving me the flavours of Adrakh and Santra. This is a must must at Dera.

THE MAIN COURSE-
In Veg-
1. Pukhtan-E-Chaman
2. Handi Di Daal
3. Choley Martaban
4. Mirchiyo Waley Aloo
5. Churan Wali Bhindi
Choley Martaban and churan wali Bhindi both took my heart away. The main course will delight your taste buds with the cuisines all over from the Lehnda Punjab.

In Non-Veg-
6. Nalli Gosht
7. Handi Murg
8. Banana Leaf Fish
Banana Lead Fish served in a banana leaf is a spicy, tangy and soft serving- ravishing your taste buds with utter delightfulness.

In rice I had Zeera puloa (veg) and Yakhni Pulao (non-veg). Both of them cooked to a perfection and nothing short of flavours.

In breads I was served with the assorted Indian Breads. I loved all of them. Breads are my favourite part in the Main Course. Indian Breads at Dera are again inspired from the cuisines from the Punjab in Pakistan aka Lehnda Punjab.

Concluding a ride full of flavours, delightedness and quality food I had “Masala Jalebi with Rabri”. A combination made in heaven I would say. The jalebi was crispy, sprinkled with a bit of Masala over it. And the Rabri was in a perfect taste to make its jodi hit with the jalebi. A super hit dessert at Dera.

So guys, honestly speaking, I had a great great over all experience at Dera. Their chefs were kind enough to greet you and ask about the food. Their staff was so chivalrous and the food as I have explained above was something I would recommend HIGHLY.
Loved this place for the food it served. ♥️

Dear Ms. Gupta,

It was a privilege to have you dine in with us. Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback on trip advisor.

I am glad to know that you liked everything about the restaurant from the food to the ambiance and the services delivered by the Dera team. I am pleased to know that the Chef specialty dishes especially the mushroom malai galauti , masala malai chap, Raan-E-Dera, churan wali bhindi, Handi Di Daal and many more were savored by you.

It will be my pleasure to compliment Chef Yogesh and the entire Dera team on your behalf.

We truly look forward on your next visit soon and assure you a wonderful dinning experience each time you dine in with us.